Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #1

pocket hose?

the pocket hose concept seems perfect for the RV life style, ....small package, light weight, fills a sometime need(2nd water hose), ect.....BUT, are they any good? .....there are several brands on the market, but I can't find any that have good reviews,.....the question is, does anyone use one with your RV?........ I carry a regular size non-potable hose for my sewer solution and for black tank flushing, but a hose with a smaller foot print would certainly be more desirable, if they're any good??.................
fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #2

most of them are garbage, so wouldn't use one for a water supply. Also not good idea for drinking water. For a temporary hook up as for black tank flushing, it would be fine.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
the pocket hose concept seems perfect for the RV life style, ....small package, light weight, fills a sometime need(2nd water hose), ect.....BUT, are they any good? .....there are several brands on the market, but I can't find any that have good reviews,.....the question is, does anyone use one with your RV?........ I carry a regular size non-potable hose for my sewer solution and for black tank flushing, but a hose with a smaller foot print would certainly be more desirable, if they're any good??.................
They have came out with new model you can drive your truck over the ends and now are okay for drinking water they are Blue not the garbage green ones.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
Site Team

Based on the fact that the require water pressure to expand, I would not expect them to be good for the sewer solution as it would seem they would be hard to clean for storage.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Based on the fact that the require water pressure to expand, I would not expect them to be good for the sewer solution as it would seem they would be hard to clean for storage.
How would sewage back up your hose. There is a black anti siphon valve on all units and even on some there is a back flow installed on some units besides the Black valve OC has one on his flagstaff that he showed in a picture which I do not have. Besides all that you are putting in positive flow the whole time. Only back flow you get is from the positive side of the Black valve. Just a question?

Old 09-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Someone gave me a pocket hose for a gift. If the water pressure isn't enough (regulated pressure @ 50 lbs), that puppy won't expand fully. I hooked it up to an unregulated hydrant (~90 lbs.), and the end blew off.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:36 AM   #7

wow, looks like some people are having problems. we have an expandable hose (Walmart $20 50 foot) that works fine! use it for all uses except drinking water hook up. the male end (discharge end) has a quarter turn ball valve that can be used to turn the water flow on and off. close that valve and turn the faucet on and the hose will expand to full length and stay that way. and when not being used it contracts and stores real nice and doesn't kink.
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

I had often wanted to get one of these to just save space but they never seemed to be rated well. Seemed like it was either a real winner or blew apart on the second use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Someone gave me a pocket hose for a gift. If the water pressure isn't enough (regulated pressure @ 50 lbs), that puppy won't expand fully. I hooked it up to an unregulated hydrant (~90 lbs.), and the end blew off.
why not just shut the valve off and let it expand? seems simple, 90 lbs would blow off a camco also. My house has only 65 lbs PSI on city water and my well is set to the samething. Glad you didn't hook that to your city water it would probably blow every fixture off in your trailer, let alone all the fittings and couplings on the flex lines. Those green ones are garbage but they say the new blue ones work well. I run my water pressure a little higher only at 55PSI. But at most CG you can't get over 45 PSI only. That's to low IMO wife always say's no pressure but as they say you going to get what you get...

Old 09-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #10

We use it for black tank flush. Going on 2 years so far no problems. Wouldn't use it for drinking water.
CLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
How would sewage back up your hose. There is a black anti siphon valve on all units and even on some there is a back flow installed on some units besides the Black valve OC has one on his flagstaff that he showed in a picture which I do not have. Besides all that you are putting in positive flow the whole time. Only back flow you get is from the positive side of the Black valve. Just a question?
I read the comment as poster would be using the expandable hose to replace the black hose portion of the sewer solution so it would be carrying black water.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLewis View Post
We use it for black tank flush. Going on 2 years so far no problems. Wouldn't use it for drinking water.
same here. have used it for 4 years with no issues.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #13

I bought a pair of 25' blue ones.
Kinda emergency purchase.
Going to toss ten in the bucket under the rv. You never know.
I like the size, and they work.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 09-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
why not just shut the valve off and let it expand?
Tried that.....didn't work. Once I opened up the nozzle it didn't have much flow to it.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #15

I have been using an expandable 50 ft hose for about 8 months now with no problems so far. Bought it as a backup hose and decided to see if it would last. Sure is easier to use than a standard garden hose, but don't know what max pressure it will handle or for how long.
Wish I could have found 25 footers.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:43 PM   #16

The original blues ones are one that probably can withstand the higher pressures. Which is sought after. I don't think they make those ones anymore. But the green ones are garbage and poorly made.
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:55 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Have used both the green ones which are good for about 2 or 3 months before springing a leak, have cut them off and repaired them. I now have the black one and have used it for 2 yrs with no leaks. It could blow the next time I use it and I'll just cut it off and repair it. Don't use it for anything but the black tank flush.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:16 PM   #18

I had a green one with plastic fittings that I bought for black tank flush but used for other yhings. It worked well until it sprung a bunch of leaks one day. I can't say for sure but the leaks may have been caused by a certain German Shepherd's teeth. I will probably get a new one eventually.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I read the comment as poster would be using the expandable hose to replace the black hose portion of the sewer solution so it would be carrying black water.
I did not say that,......the sewer solution uses a water jet to break up the solids and pump them down the sewer solution waste exhaust hose, that water jet requires a water supply hose hooked up to the sewer solution to have pressure, thus you have the jet,........ that is where I had considered using the pocket hose,.....the "black tank flushing" I mentioned, was talking about the trailer connection where you attach a water hose for additional tank cleaning after draining the black tank,........the sewer solution waste exhaust hose is a 3/4" fabric reinforced very heavy hose, a pocket hose could never be used to replace that hose,...........

I guess its a moot subject now, I hooked up a brand new one today and the female end cracked when I put it on the outside faucet, back to the 3B's(Bed Bath & Beyond), ...so, I tried it, it didn't work, I move on,...............thanks for everyone's input
fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #20

I have 3 of the 50 ft green ones.
Home: My trailer sits nearly 100 ft from either faucet. It's the end hose to get to the trailer for adding water and cleaning. I even use it to connect to my pressure washer and no problem. The plastic male end shutoff sprays a fine mist so I can't leave it on (shouldn't with any hose anyways).

Camper: I keep two (one still in the package). I haven't used it for sites with full hookups yet (I keep two 25' white hoses for that odd occasion I'm parked too far away). But, where we boondock, the cg has potable water spigots throughout the cg. We've needed 300 ft of hose to get water for the fw tank at times. I had a 75 ft hose I kept in a bucket for those trips. I probably could have 5 or 6 of the pocket hoses in the same space.