Old 04-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
My DW, Janet, can drive the TV with the TT. Before we met she was on her own. She towed, parked, setup dumped all of the things needed to be done. She is able to do all these things. I do most of the driving. When we get to a CG I will set up the outside and she works on the inside of the TT. I will also help inside. I wash the dishes and DW dries. I help with the vacuum and clean the WC. I also do windows. It is a joint venture.

Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
So happy to see other ladies on this forum! Yep, I am the camping person in the family! (my husband is not a fan.) I have only had pop ups until now, this will be my first TT. I chose it myself, and will be picking it up with a girlfriend! My goal: to be able to tow, back it up, and handle it all by myself, from beginning to end It's going to be me, my 5 year old son, and our new addition, our Dachshund/Beagle named Callie, and anyone else that wants to join in is always welcome

greti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #13
I hook up, tow and set up. Last year was my first experience with towing an rv. I had a 16 ft. Funfinder. I just got a Rockwood 2306. I also just got a Ford F150 truck on Fri. I look forward to my travels in my new Rockwood. My husband does not care for camping so I had to learn if I wanted to go. I need some practice with backing up but I am sure I will get it down in no time. I am camping right now here in Mi even in the cold.
justennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #14
Site Team
I'm another solo female RVer. Truth be told - I would love to share my RVing with a great guy but I'm ok doing it alone if need be. When possible I perfer to have help with hitching or backing the TT into my storage spot but I have done both by myself along with setting some long time records at the same time. I have some back problems and the spring bars can be a problem at times. If I can get someone to help me with those I will otherwise I just keep at it.

I never towed anything before taking delivery of my trailer. I did the walk-through alone and lived but it would had help to have someone with me.

Being a newbie I'm still in the learning stage so I try to keep it simple like selecting a pull-thru site and staying hitched. I started off taking it one step at a time. Once I master a task well enough I will move on to the next item on the list. The last two trips I started playing with the awning and now it's crossed off the list. I still suck at backing up so that's still on the list. At lease now I know to remove the anti-swag bar first before backing up which helps... but not enough.

After reading what Plucky meant I knew I wanted it for my trailer plate. Plucky just describes my RV journey. And now after reading all the posts I know there is lot of girl power out there!

Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #15
My wife drives all of the time! I am a FedEx guy so the last thing I want to do is drive to camp after driving all day! She is a little nervous about the new 34 ft trailer on order but I know she will do great! After a long trip my friend asked her how she did pulling the trailer. She said, "I drove one handed!" That phrase is our ongoing camp joke! How did you cook that hot dog? "I did great I cooked it one handed!" Good memories!
Phil, Michelle, Logan and Wyatt
2006 Dodge 2500 Heavy Duty 5.7 Hemi
2012 Rockwood 8312ss
FarmerMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #16
I also drive, hook up and set up. I grew up on a farm driving equipment all the time so the TT is really no big deal. My husband also enjoys the breaks from driving!
toadswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #17
The last time my wife drove we were pulling a pop-up trailer, around a corner in a canyon the trailer swayed a little, she started following the trailer and we ended up on the oncoming lane, there was no other traffic in miles, within a mile she pulled over and has never pulled the trailer since. Now with the larger travel trailer, she has never even offered the suggestion of driving.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #18
My wife drives the truck when pulling our 30ft 5th wheel.
The only stipulation is that she will only drive it on the interstate highways with no turning other than getting off at the rest stop to switch drivers.

She drives when I drive a long day and need a few hours to rest or catch a quick nap. I trust her totally.
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #19
My DL loves to drive the MH. Although the mocho in me seems to make it hard to hand over that job very often I must admit she does every bit as good a job as me, maybe better. Planning our two month trip out West this summer and I'm sure she will do her share as we enjoy our adventure.
peskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #20
ummm, i dont even like to drive my car, i will be perfectly happy to be sitting in the passenger side, and giving him backing in directions.. lol

Chris, Ami, and our 2 kids ages 9 & 11
2011 Flagstaff 23lb
tow vehicle-2008 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 5.4 engine
gear ratio
momtovn is offline   Reply With Quote