Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #21

Well I do know one thing. When I do get a new trailer, I am going to under and all over it during my PDI making sure things work and will stay working. Stuff like that photo? They can just leave it on the lot until they make crap like that a little more sanitary. Not knocking anyone here for "missing" stuff. Just learning.
Thanks
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #22

Coachman Quality

Where does Coachman fit in the quality pecking order of FR? There can't be too many units built like that or many owners can trade in two to three years (planned junk or you fix it). Hope you got a great warranty and loan.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrickim63 View Post
They build them fast and if lasts 1 year, its your problem...
I am discusted with the workmanship on our 2015 crusader 5th wheel on the first trip last winter we had to have the mattress replaced, it had a huge hump down the middle of it, the covering on the ceiling and wall panels beside the door were badly krinkled and required extensive work to correct the issue, the electric connection for the water heater wasn't connected to the heater element, the fresh water tank fill tube wouldn't let you fill it because the cheap filler hose was to flimsy, long and wouldn't allow the water to flow even after the dealer repaired this issue it wasn't much better, finally I corrected the problem my self on this trip by inserting the hose into a plastic tube, now it fills like it should. Other issues were both large slides were way out of alignment and needed to be readjusted of course this was after the kitchen floor got torn up by the one slide. All Forest River wanted to do was repair the tear and not replace the linoleum , it was only after I dug in my heals and advised Good Sam advocacy about this that I finally got satisfaction . I was ready to return the RV to the dealer and get my old 1999 Class A DAMON back but unfortunately it was sold. I can go on about other issues such as fridge crapped out last year and was allegedly repaired but again this year it's doing the same thing, thankfully I had an extension on the warranty so Norcold will pay for the new cooling unit. I honestly don't have any faith in any of the trailer or RV manufacturers anymore. It used to be that there was pride of workmanship and they would stand by their products and replace or repair now they want to get your hard earned dollars and leave you hanging. Thanks for letting me rant and if anyone out there is able to guide me through a process to get a replacement I have open ears and mind.
Les
hicksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #24

FWIW, I humbly agree with Rrickim63, that's how Forest River keeps costs down.
Kind regards, Al
Al Fiallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #25

If a RV manufacturer can save a buck they will, high end or low end, it doesn't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #26
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Why do you think they enclose the under belly. Sure hides a lot of stuff. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Down View Post
Well I do know one thing. When I do get a new trailer, I am going to under and all over it during my PDI making sure things work and will stay working. Stuff like that photo? They can just leave it on the lot until they make crap like that a little more sanitary. Not knocking anyone here for "missing" stuff. Just learning.
Thanks
you will never take possession of your new one then. "Stuff like that" is the entire construction. Made fast and cheap. If it was any good, they would stand behind it with more than a 1 year warranty.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:13 AM   #28

I understand your point dave,and you are correct. Reaching for perfection on a product that has only been blessed with one year of life is a stretch.

Doesn't mean I can't give it the old college try to drive off with all systems working properly. At least out of the gate I will know I did my best.

I guess I am lucky in a strange way here.
About 3 months ago I went shopping for a TT. Got all the way to the owners office (after a visit with the salesman and GM) and of course they talked how great they were in sales and service. They all do. But I just didn't "feel it" for their deal. It was the first time we shopped and I swore I would not buy the first thing that caught my eye, and didn't. I did tell the dealer when I am ready I would return and purchase a unit from them. Yeah right.....
Since then I been doing my homework and found exactly what I want, and ironically the closest dealer (for my TT choice) to me is, who else? These same guys.
As well as shopping for a TT I have also been reading reviews on dealerships,namely their service department performance.
Well, guess who comes up smelling like roses in this category? Yep, same dealer again. More good reviews for service than any other nearby dealerships.
So my plan is to pick up right where I left off, to the owners office and tell him I am keeping my word, I want him to keep his.
I got the time, and attitude. With the "previous engagement" mentioned, we shall see. As they say," Film at 11".
RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #29

I hate to say this but I have seen worst. Your on the right tract in putting the relays in a water proof box. As far as replacing your breakers I wouldn't. Also go to Napa and get some of that wire wrap stuff that is split and cover the wires to keep the UV from eating them up. It really wouldn't be hard to do but time consuming. Welcome to the world of RVing, Repair that shooty work and be done with it. Seems all units are just pushed through the line. If that is all you came up with so far consider yourself LUCKY.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
If a RV manufacturer can save a buck they will, high end or low end, it doesn't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I think they'd cut corners for .01, not just 1.00. Admittedly, our Salem is an 'entry level' camper, so I expected some fit and finish shortcuts. But we have been shopping for our next camper in the mid range, and are seeing some of the same issues. To FR's credit tho, they took care of the major issues with our camper to our satisfaction.
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:02 PM   #31

Welcome to rving!
As for cleaning it up and good amount of work and rewiring from source to post.
Hope this helps and Happy Camping, and like a number of folks posted, i will keep passing the popcorn!
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote