Old 03-17-2016, 06:43 PM   #11

If you don't like what you see, you better stop looking. It only gets worse.

It's pitiful how poor the workmanship is on what we pay good money for.

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #12

Here's what I found under mine when I started wire brushing and reprinting with two coats of Tremclad.

I plan on replacing all this prior to the start of camping season and mounting it inside waterproof electrical boxes. I'll also carry on with the reprinting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	102186  

Old 03-17-2016, 07:10 PM   #13

Auto correct - duh!!!! Should be "repainting"!
Old 03-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to Boots49
X2. Time for a beer, no I am still on drugs.Maybe 2 after I am off the bill.

Al & Susanne
Aka: Puss 'n Boots
Wildcat 31 TS - Silverado 2500 DuraMax Diesel
Tip of the Day: Stay safe, have fun and never leave the cat out in the rain!
Boots49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #15

SOB owner here. Looks like hack job they did in my 2016 Dutchman. Haven't had time to re engineer their mess but I will. You're not alone.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #16

As one of those 'long time' RV owners of different brands and types over the years, all I can say is I think overall they, RVs, are much better made than say 20 years ago but the industry could really make them truly worth the cost of the units nowadays!
But it seems like it is always cut corners to save the company money and hope it all holds together with the idea of not "make it right" but make it 'good enough for now' and we'll fix it later if any problems show up.
Are those stories true about "don't get one made on a Monday or a Friday"? I certainly think with some brands that would be true and I've seen some stuff while shopping for units and I've told the salesman "how did this get to here in such poor shape" and that was with stuff you could easily see! I don't care how much of a discount they're giving you, if that floor is not right before you get it, you know it will be a monster to get fixed the right way.
Like others have said in other threads, first thing to do when you get a new RV is go through it and clean out all the leftover construction debris, sawdust, chunks of wood, wiring bits that always seems to be left hiding in the cabinets and check the wiring you can see to make sure it looks like it's supposed to and not like the photo in this thread that looks like the guy attaching the wiring harness was really new to the job and just didn't know what he or she was doing to make it safe and a clean installation.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #17

My Cardinal is half-assed as well! The converter was behind a wall in the slide through storage compartment. The wall was actually up against it and they put extra carpeting at the end of the wall. Then they used the extra carpeting to hide the gap. To get air to the converter they put a plastic vent in the wall next to the converter fan.
I couldn't stand it so pulled the wall down, moved the converter to the front storage area by the batteries, moved the plug for the converter and installed a Perko switch so I could shut it off when needed without turning the breaker off. I also put the cable in flex-conduit, thru-wall fittings and used regular plastic boxes and got rid of the RV crap.
I had to get to the breaker panel and it was a friction mess behind there as well.
Supposed to be a top of the line fifth wheel so I guess they are almost all like this.
Previously: 36' Country Coach
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
If you don't like what you see, you better stop looking. It only gets worse.

It's pitiful how poor the workmanship is on what we pay good money for.
agreed!.....ignorance is sometimes bliss.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:16 PM   #19

good, I feel better that I am not alone on this, I'll post pictures of my success when it gets completed
Old 03-18-2016, 06:32 PM   #20

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Down View Post
I think, vulnerable. To weather, road debris and the kids. Not good. Not sure what is on each side of that mess, but some type of cover/protector should have been used.
I do not yet own a FR trailer. But from what I am reading they are supposed to be one of the best. But they obviously did not do their "best" on that wiring.
The picture might be misleading. Mine was done piece meal after market by many different hands and this looks good by comparison. To the good, those look like ample wire gauge. Many from the factories are not. Fusing ought to be near the power source and that looks as though there are circuit breakers near the power source. So I can't condem any part of it from the narrow view of just that picture. It would be nice to see the connections in a weatherproof space, but that just does not seem to be industry standard at this point.