Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2016, 04:01 PM   #1

Poor workmanship or are they all like this???

Hello, is this poor workmanship or are they are built with these battery/power tongue jack and whatever else is tied into here relays mounted on the front of the frame?? Tell me what you think after looking at this picture and what has everyone done to clean this crap up:

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS
schmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmol View Post
Hello, is this poor workmanship or are they are built with these battery/power tongue jack and whatever else is tied into here relays mounted on the front of the frame?? Tell me what you think after looking at this picture and what has everyone done to clean this crap up:

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS
I have to call "popcorn" on this.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:29 PM   #3

I think, vulnerable. To weather, road debris and the kids. Not good. Not sure what is on each side of that mess, but some type of cover/protector should have been used.
I do not yet own a FR trailer. But from what I am reading they are supposed to be one of the best. But they obviously did not do their "best" on that wiring.
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #4

Typical of all RVs................................... please pass the popcorn............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #5

schmol,

My first mistake on a social forum was to go to the wall about something I did not understand. Since this is all read as you post, you may miss-read/miss-lead as to the intention or tone of the a statement.

Please provide more information (your profile is blank). As this is your first post and put up pictures of a wild collection of connections that look bad. (from what?) Give members a chance to investigate and share. I am sure that this does meet the smell test but you might want invite considered comment.

Ask here, we are consumers not salesmen. Some smart folks will go way out for you...
Old 03-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
schmol,

My first mistake on a social forum was to go to the wall about something I did not understand. Since this is all read as you post, you may miss-read/miss-lead as to the intention or tone of the a statement.

Please provide more information (your profile is blank). As this is your first post and put up pictures of a wild collection of connections that look bad. (from what?) Give members a chance to investigate and share. I am sure that this does meet the smell test but you might want invite considered comment.

Ask here, we are consumers not salesmen. Some smart folks will go way out for you...
Wobbles, the last line of the OP says "2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS". Does that help?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
schmol,

No problem, not my first trip to the social forum rodeo and I dont easily get offended, takes a lot to get me there

the picture is of the front frame rail of my 2016 Coachmen Freedom Express right behind the battery. it looks like they used 2 very cheap 20amp automatic relays to get 40amp protection and then ran the power tongue jack's power lead and it looks like the leads to the slide out to these relays.

these connectors are open to the weather and will be corroded off by this time next year if not sooner if not attended to. I just wanted to know if anyone has this awesome setup on the front of their campers.

thinking of redoing it all with a nice waterproof 50 amp manual circuit breaker(High Amp Circuit Breaker - 50 Amp - Transportation Safety Technologies | AW Direct) and putting it in a outdoor GFCI box in case I have to reset it.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Wobbles, the last line of the OP says "2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS". Does that help?
Thanks Mr. Dan, I am my own example.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:29 PM   #9

Yes, it does look like a DIY job - Not a professional job.

What lurks under may be a lot worse - and dangerous, if it's like mine:

2 examples of wires just sitting on top of the thin edge of the frame. Given some time and the vibration and wind whipping, it's sure to rub the insulation off and short circuit to the frame. Would not be fun when the blue wire in the lower photo shorts. It's for the electric brakes.

What is really dumb is that at other points the wires are properly run through an insulating bushing. See below:

This proves that someone knows how to do it properly, but is not consistent.

I suggest that anyone reading this take a look under their unit and look for similar dangers. Grounds for a recall, IMO.

I repaired this flaw by encasing the wires inside 1/2 inch poly tubing:

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #10

They build them fast and if lasts 1 year, its your problem...

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:43 PM   #11

If you don't like what you see, you better stop looking. It only gets worse.

It's pitiful how poor the workmanship is on what we pay good money for.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:07 PM   #12

Here's what I found under mine when I started wire brushing and reprinting with two coats of Tremclad.

I plan on replacing all this prior to the start of camping season and mounting it inside waterproof electrical boxes. I'll also carry on with the reprinting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	102186  
Old 03-17-2016, 06:10 PM   #13

Auto correct - duh!!!! Should be "repainting"!
Old 03-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to Boots49
X2. Time for a beer, no I am still on drugs.Maybe 2 after I am off the bill.

Al & Susanne
Aka: Puss 'n Boots
Wildcat 31 TS - Silverado 2500 DuraMax Diesel
Tip of the Day: Stay safe, have fun and never leave the cat out in the rain!
Boots49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #15

SOB owner here. Looks like hack job they did in my 2016 Dutchman. Haven't had time to re engineer their mess but I will. You're not alone.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #16

As one of those 'long time' RV owners of different brands and types over the years, all I can say is I think overall they, RVs, are much better made than say 20 years ago but the industry could really make them truly worth the cost of the units nowadays!
But it seems like it is always cut corners to save the company money and hope it all holds together with the idea of not "make it right" but make it 'good enough for now' and we'll fix it later if any problems show up.
Are those stories true about "don't get one made on a Monday or a Friday"? I certainly think with some brands that would be true and I've seen some stuff while shopping for units and I've told the salesman "how did this get to here in such poor shape" and that was with stuff you could easily see! I don't care how much of a discount they're giving you, if that floor is not right before you get it, you know it will be a monster to get fixed the right way.
Like others have said in other threads, first thing to do when you get a new RV is go through it and clean out all the leftover construction debris, sawdust, chunks of wood, wiring bits that always seems to be left hiding in the cabinets and check the wiring you can see to make sure it looks like it's supposed to and not like the photo in this thread that looks like the guy attaching the wiring harness was really new to the job and just didn't know what he or she was doing to make it safe and a clean installation.
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #17

My Cardinal is half-assed as well! The converter was behind a wall in the slide through storage compartment. The wall was actually up against it and they put extra carpeting at the end of the wall. Then they used the extra carpeting to hide the gap. To get air to the converter they put a plastic vent in the wall next to the converter fan.
I couldn't stand it so pulled the wall down, moved the converter to the front storage area by the batteries, moved the plug for the converter and installed a Perko switch so I could shut it off when needed without turning the breaker off. I also put the cable in flex-conduit, thru-wall fittings and used regular plastic boxes and got rid of the RV crap.
I had to get to the breaker panel and it was a friction mess behind there as well.
Supposed to be a top of the line fifth wheel so I guess they are almost all like this.
Previously: 36' Country Coach
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
If you don't like what you see, you better stop looking. It only gets worse.

It's pitiful how poor the workmanship is on what we pay good money for.
agreed!.....ignorance is sometimes bliss.
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:16 PM   #19

good, I feel better that I am not alone on this, I'll post pictures of my success when it gets completed
Old 03-18-2016, 05:32 PM   #20

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Down View Post
I think, vulnerable. To weather, road debris and the kids. Not good. Not sure what is on each side of that mess, but some type of cover/protector should have been used.
I do not yet own a FR trailer. But from what I am reading they are supposed to be one of the best. But they obviously did not do their "best" on that wiring.
The picture might be misleading. Mine was done piece meal after market by many different hands and this looks good by comparison. To the good, those look like ample wire gauge. Many from the factories are not. Fusing ought to be near the power source and that looks as though there are circuit breakers near the power source. So I can't condem any part of it from the narrow view of just that picture. It would be nice to see the connections in a weatherproof space, but that just does not seem to be industry standard at this point.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote