Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2015, 09:04 AM   #1

Port Aransas TX campgrounds

Hello all. DW and I are planning a trip to Port Aransas TX this June, and looking for any suggestions on campgrounds there. We have stayed in condos there, just haven't camped there. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
bthaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #2

PORT A campgrounds

Stayed at Pioneer Beach Resort last year. The place is really nice. A lot of golf carts. Nice wide boardwalk over sand dune to beach , pick up trash at site every morning. Would stay there again. Pet friendly
TM2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #3

I stayed at Seabreeze RV Park in Portland, TX two years ago when DW was unexpectedly hospitalized for a couple of weeks in Corpus Christi. Nice park, right on Corpus christi Bay, and GREAT owners. Not exactly in Port Aransas, but close.

Sea Breeze RV Park - Panoramic view of Corpus Christi Bayfront located in Portland, TX.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:51 PM   #4

Port A

I second Pioneer. Nice clean park. The sites are a bit tight but no worse than many others. You do have the beach just a short walk or golf cart ride if you have one. Two pools and a hot tub. Showers are kept fairly clean. Nice club house with other amenities.
Think you will like it. If you are thinking about being there over a holiday weekend then you better book early no matter where you stay.
If fishing is more your style then Rockport is a quaint little town with several good rv parks.
Good Luck and Have a Great Time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F350 and 351THSS.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	69894  
Old 02-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #5

We were at Pioneer and would go back again!
Robbsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:23 PM   #6

Take a look at the Mustang Island State Park-nice
Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #7

Mustang Island SP is very nice. Beware of Goose Island SP unless you are sure you can get a site NOT on the water. We camped there for three days on the water and the wind was blowing from E >W and our rig was covered with salt. That was fun cleaning it off!
Old 02-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #8

Rockport

If interested in the Rockport area, we have found Bay View RV Park a decent park. Nice pools and club house. What I would call oversize sites. Roads and bath houses could use a little work but are usable.

Goose Island is a nice state park but you either fight the salt air along the waterfront or the mosquitos in the woods. We have spent several great weekends there. Great place for kids to fish.

Makes me want to hitch up and hit the road!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	138
ID:	69909  
Old 02-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #9

X2 on Bay View, a little bit out of the mainstream of traffic and tourists in Port A but still close enough to enjoy.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:07 AM   #10

Another positive vote for Pioneer
Old 02-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #11

Thanks for all of your replies. It's a big help!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
bthaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:17 AM   #12

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Try "www.campgroundreviews.com. Costs nothing and you do not have to join to see reviews people have made.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #13

Bay View

We put couple weeks in at Pioneer last summer and I think the kids really preferred it to Bay View. I mean whats not to like about being right on the Gulf. They loved driving the cart to and from and around the park. Grandma and I had to fight to use the cart. One of weeks was over the 4th holiday. That was pretty sweet. Port A hosts a good fireworks display and there are several areas where you can get a good view of the show. The park was at capacity and it was pandemonium. If you don't like the crowds and the party, then Pioneer is not for you. I can say my camping experience has been mostly positive. RVers for the most part are really good folks. There are always a few though.
If you like a little slower pace, then Bay View is a good park to spend your vacation. Really large pool and club house that has a nice little library, pool tables, and a small gym. The sites are pretty much oversize so you have a bit of space between you and your neighbor. Right in the middle of good fishing. There are several good beach areas just a short drive from the park. I parked my rig for the month of Sept at Bay View for it what a week cost me at Pioneer. We have booked Bay View July-Oct for this year.
My plan is to set up house and then all we have to do is jump in the car and we can be in Rockport in couple hours. Open our home on wheels and relax for the weekend. .
Really looking forward to this summer! Pike's Peak Co in June then the Texas Riviera for the summer!!
Happy Trails to All This Season!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	132
ID:	70036  
Old 02-23-2015, 10:16 PM   #14
I Break Everything

We've stayed in Pioneer and Gulf Waters.

Pioneer: Two Pools, walk way to the beach, golf cart access to the beach. Lots of families. Pull thrus and back ins.

Gulf Waters, One small pool, Walk way and golf cart access to the beach. More lush surroundings. Not sure, but if you have an "older" rv or TT you may not be able to stay here. Check campgroundreviews.com.

Both were okay for us. My wife liked Pioneer better, I preferred Gulf Waters.

If it's around a holiday good luck, reserve early.

mk

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #15

The kids favorite is MaGee Park http://www.nuecesbeachparks.com/ibmageebeachpark.htmly
30 amp hook ups only and a dump station. Very easy on the checkbook and fills up fast during peak periods. Expect to see high dollar rigs next to rusted out VW buses and gypsies tenting it. It has out door showers and carded showers for guest. Walking distance to beach, jetties and fishing peer. No pool, cable or internet last time we stayed. Plenty of room for 2 vehicles and a boat as well (my usual set up).

Last summer we spent a week at Tropical Island Resort. Very tight spaces. The clubhouse area was locked up. It had quite a few permanent residences. Walking distance to some eateries.

The island gets packed during peak periods and weekends. We've started venturing away from Port A more and more. We spend most of the time in the boat and Port LaVaca and Seadrift are our usual destinations now.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:19 PM   #16

Port A RV Parks

Gulf Waters does look really nice. Very upscale. I plan on giving it a try if I can ever find a time when there is not so many in my party. I think they restrict number of guests per site to 6? Really nice sites though and does not look nearly as rowdy as Pioneer.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	118
ID:	70198  
Old 03-01-2015, 08:01 PM   #17
I Break Everything

From my experience it is not as rowdy, We've had great experiences at Gulf Waters. Sites are larger, lots have BBQ pits, tables, green grass, palm trees etc. Beware though. If you say you want to rent a golf cart they will say they only allow one company's golf carts access to that park. I don't know if you could just rent from another company and drive it in from the beach, but we used their "company" and it was more expensive than others and along with us and others, we had to get our cart replaced due to it malfunctions and dying. They acted like it was my fault and I was choking it too much...c'mon, really? But our cart died in traffic, another couple at GW cart died about a mile down the beach and the company would not come get them. It was busy so maybe it was just luck of the draw, but for their prices, it was like you were buying the cart.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:56 PM   #18

For those that use the ferry on holidays, how is it pulling a camper across it when real busy?
txboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #19

We LOVE Pioneer!!! Great for kids!
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 ltr V8
3.92 rear axel ratio
Soonermikel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg