Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #1

Portable Grills

I am looking for suggestions for a portable grille. I am scared to get the one that attached to the side of the trailer out of fear that I will some how catch the thing on fire.
jdandrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #2

Go with the one it comes with nothing to worry about. If you have to use you fire extingiuser
bigdaddy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #3

I too did not like a gas grill next to a fiberglass trailer. I ended uo with a baby Q by weber. Its work fine for our use on the road.

Life is something to do when you've finished breakfast
Chuck & Margie
Both Retired
08 2500HD Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Flagstaff 829fkss
Round Mound of Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #4

Charcoal has a better taste anyway
bigdaddy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Did not buy the side mounted grill for many reasons:

1) I have gone through a dozen or so grills for various reasons. I like the idea of junking my old one when it gets too dirty to clean.

2) I don't like using our grill ON THE DECK let alone up against the side of the camper. I had a bug in the venturi of one of our burners and by the time I realized that burner was not putting out any heat, the rubber gas hose had melted and we had a heck of a fire that was hard to put out. We had to use a "hot hand" to turn off the valve. We had the old type tank that needed a wrench to remove the tank and of course trying to find a wrench that size in a panic was beyond us.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #6

I use a "Smokey Joe" by Weber. I prefer the charcoal flavor over a gas grill. I can cook a mean steak over charcoal but hit or miss with gas. Also when cooking a nice set of ribeyes over a real hot fire, I don't want the greasy smoke getting on the side of the trailer or on the awning. I have the gas grill for the side of the camper but still in it's box in storage. I hang my outside TV on the rail that the gas grill would set on.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

I forgot to mention I have a Weber Q100. Love it.
Easy to clean and built like a tank.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WeberQ100GasGrill.pdf (151.6 KB, 122 views)
Old 12-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #8

Webber also makes a wonderful little grill for under 50 dollars, that is far more compact that the Q series grills.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Yes, it IS heavy. Did I mention its heavy?
Old 12-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
Site Team

How big of a portable grill are you looking for? The one I have may be too big for your satisfaction. I picked this one up below at Academy Sports for around $100 on sale. It collapses down easily, but still takes up some space. The upside is it works great and I can cook a bunch on it at one time.

I usually take it on our campout/geocaching events and can cook up many hot dogs and hamburgers at the same time, especially after I modified it to accept 2 grill-dog rotisseries. I've cooked 4 big steaks on it simultaneously with no problem.

I agree with Kirk though. Charcoal sure beats gas for taste.

Brinkmann Tailgate Portable Propane Grill

Here it is in action at our last cookout to give you an actual idea of scale

wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

LOVE the hot dog cooker!
Old 12-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

We just bought a $25 cheapy (gas) at Fleetfarm. Works good enough. Simple and no big deal to replace once it goes. As little as we use it, it will last for years. I think it depends on how often you use it. For us, we didn't want to pay $200 for a grill.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #13
Site Team

Yeah Lou, it works fantastic. I don't want to hijack this thread with it, so I'll just place this one last post about it, but anyone can feel free to email me with any further questions.

They are called grill-dogs. You can get it in one of three versions. The basic one is just the roller and stands (which all 3 versions have). You will hook it up to an electric rotisserie you may already have for your existing grill.

The second one comes with the electric rotisserie motor, that you mount onto your grill and plug into an ac outlet. Many larger grills come from the factory with pre-drilled holes on one side to accept the mounting of a rotisserie motor to the grill. If your grill already has these holes, you just mount the bracket and rotisserie motor to it with included hardware.

The third version (which I have and you see in the picture) comes with a rechargeable battery powered rotisserie. Once you have the batteries charged (it comes with an ac charger), then you can use it for many hours. These work great at campouts where you may or may not have easy access to an electrical outlet.

All of the rollers come with an adaptor that lets you join together two sets of rollers in tandem, that can be run off one rotisserie motor (which you saw in my pic). I can cook 24 hot dogs at the same time this way. The great thing is, you don't have to stand over them and make sure they don't burn. They just slowly roll and plump up. The only thing I have encountered is the smaller hot dogs don't like to turn to begin with (or if they are real square). Usually as they heat up and plump out some, then the problem takes care of itself. Using bigger dogs like Ball Parks brand also takes care of this.

I got a pair of the battery powered new ones off ebay for less than $40 per.

Here is the website for them:

Grill Dog - Stainless Steel Rotisserie Grill Acces

The portable grill I originally talked about is just wide enough to place two of the grill dogs on it. (as you can see in the pic). I had to turn the grill dogs rollers legs/feet inwards to make it fit. I also built the little L bracket you see attached to the side of the grill that holds the battery powered rotisserie motors bracket....since this grill didn't have any kind of pre-made stuff to accept a rotisserie.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Thanks Bobby! I just put one on order.
This will get use at home and RV camping.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #15

This is what's on our Christmas list.
Amazon.com: Brinkmann 810-5000-0 All-In-One Outdoor Cooker, Black: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Old 12-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

OH BABY!

Coming to YOUR campsite for dinner! Yummy!
Old 12-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #17

Napolean. 10 year warranty!
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #18

Its been a few months since my trailer has been in storage, but its a 2011 Flagstaff that came with a grill. If properly mounted, its several inches from the trailer, plus the mounting bracket can be attached to the grill to make it a stand-alone, probably about a couple of feet off the ground. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #19
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandrson View Post
I am looking for suggestions for a portable grille. I am scared to get the one that attached to the side of the trailer out of fear that I will some how catch the thing on fire.
Hello jdandrson....I feel the very same way about a grill attached to the trailer...NOT a good idea!!! Why tempt fate?

We have a very old Sunbeam gas grill... V-E-R-Y old (20+ yrs?)! We too are in the market for a new gas grill.

The ones I have looked at are much larger and heavier! In towing... weight is everything. So why do they make them sooo heavy? Who knows!

Come spring look at Lowe's home improvement in the garden center or maybe Wal-mart. I remember them both having a few smaller gas grills. The only thing I would like is a grill with adjustable grill grate height and maybe a grease trap.

Keep me posted on your progress. It will be interesting to see what you find. GOOD LUCK!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #20
Now a "Top Member"

Okay, well I will be a proponent of the RVQ attached to the trailer. We had one on our old TT and used the heck out of it for the 5 years we had that trailer. It does not get hot enough to do any damage to anything. We used it with the awning out, and with the window open also. Never ever had any problem with it. It cleaned up fairly easy (although I will admit my wife did most of the cleaning). I do in fact still have that RVQ, just haven't figured out a way to mount it to the new 5er.

I currently have a Coleman portable, and I really don't like it. It is heavy and I don't like the grills on it. It cooks okay, but I really liked my RVQ.

If you have it, please don't be afraid to use it. It works great and there is no reason to worry about it. Get out and enjoy!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is online now   Reply With Quote