Old 03-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #1

Portable Holding Tank

Sorry if this has been asked before.

How do you transport your portable holding tank? What size is best?

Or Gray and Black water tanks are 38 Gal each on the Rockwood 8280SS.

I do a lot of dry camping and see them inside owners pickup trucks, attached to rear of TT or 5th on either the bumper or ladder.

I noticed in shopping for one that Barker has a bracket system for attaching to the rear or roof of your unit. Does anyone have one?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Camping 2012: 40 nights
wakamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #2

with our fiver
it was in the bed of the truck
the bus...its in the basement on top of a big alum tool box
or
securely attached to the trailer when we take the edge

at the campground we walk it to the dump station...i also put pneumatic tires on the rear set to help going thru the mud

Old 03-15-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamicamper View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before.

How do you transport your portable holding tank? What size is best?

Or Gray and Black water tanks are 38 Gal each on the Rockwood 8280SS.

I do a lot of dry camping and see them inside owners pickup trucks, attached to rear of TT or 5th on either the bumper or ladder.

I noticed in shopping for one that Barker has a bracket system for attaching to the rear or roof of your unit. Does anyone have one?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I don't have one but I've seen quite a few attached to the rear of the campers I've passed by on my way to work. Quite a few are connected to the ladder as well. They look to be 10-15 gallon size tanks.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #4

We have a Barker Holding Tank. We replaced the plastic wheels that it came with... it now has 4 pneumatic tires. It rolls smoothly and quietly, and it is easier for me to pull it from the drain to where the truck is. We went with the large one so we would not have to make multiple trips to the dump station. Some will say it is too heavy and to them I say... "only fill it to a point where you can still move it". I attached ours to the bumper of our TT using an old hand truck. I cut off the wheels and the top of the handle of the hand truck then bolted it to the bumper using u-bolts.

sonicsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #5

I have a 30 gal black water and 30 gal gray water and found a used 12 gal portable tank on craigslist for $30. I never transport black water in it, just gray. I fab'd a mount with ratcheting cam straps for the underside of my trailer. The tank gets placed on the straps upside down, then cam'd up securely to the rear belly of my trailer. Been that way for 2 seasons and have had no issues. The hitch mount is a good option if you don't want to crawl a bit to get to the tank, but I have no issues seeing I use that thing maybe 4 times a year.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #6

I have the thetford 4 wheel 27 gal tank. This size works great for me . It is easy to pull and can be towed by truck hitch. It easy fits in pickup bed. Thetford models come with everything you need. They also come in different sizes. Just remember the larger you get the heaver it is to move and store. There is no problem getting the smaller tanks , you may just have to make a second trip to the dump station.