Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #1

Portable storage tank

I'm wanting to get a portable storage tank to dump my black / grey tanks at sites w/o sewer connection. Any advise on what size to get? Both my black and grey tank are 35gal. I'm thinking about 25 gallon so its not too big and bulky. My other question is where do you guys keep these...just in the back of the truck? Is there any kind of mount for the bumper? I already have a bike rack attached to the bumper and a spare tire. I think I've seen someone attach one of these tanks to a ladder on the back, but I don't have a ladder.

Any advice?
dharri770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #2

I would haul it in back of the truck and store it under the camper when i get where i was going and 25 gals would give you plenty of room to empty your tanks
Old 07-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
Site Team

I've seen them hauled almost any place you can think of. Strapped to the ladder, a bracket on the bumper, in the bed of the TV, on the tongue of the RV. The list is endless. If you're going to get more than a 15 gallon unit make sure it's the 4-wheel type. Since you're getting less capacity than your holding tanks, make sure it's got a good working level gauge and never fill it to more than 75% full. That will leave room for you to drain the hose and rinse it a little before unhooking it.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I opted for a 15 gal. tote. I can make several trips to the dump station if needed. The weight was my concern. 25 gals. of grey (or black) water is over 200 lbs., 15 gals. is 120 lbs. The weight concern is only if you can't get your TV close enough to hook the tote up for towing. Heaven forbid if you gotta manually pull it over uneven ground. Of course, you can always partially fill a big tote if there are weight concerns.......but my tank rides in the truck bed, and I want to minimize the space of the tote.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #5

We have a 25 gallon blue tank. We never use if for anything other gray water... just don't like the thought of adding the black to it.

It does get heavy if you completely fill it. We keep it near the drain, fill it when needed, then back the truck up close to it. Usually don't have to pull it far before we can hook it to the hitch. Then, off we go to the dump station. ONce dumped, we throw it in back of the truck and do it again.

We carry ours in the back of our Pickup.

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies!!
dharri770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #7

We have a 4-wheel 25 gallon blue tank. We carry it in the back of the pickup and that is where we keep it at the campground. We empty our gray tank only into the blue tank. We place the blue tank on the tail gate of the pickup with the back wheel sitting in the space between the tail gate and the bed of the truck so it will not move or roll. The sewer connection is on the side of the blue tank facing out. We use a macerater pump and gray hose to pump the water from the gray tank into the blue tank. We use this procedure because the dump station is usually a ways from the camp site and we're not sure how much "roughness" the blue tank will take when being pulled. This has worked very well for us.
Momma Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #8

We use a p[ortable holding tank and it works great as we camp for 4-5 days at a time in a State Park. I dump the black tank and pull it to the dump area and empty. Then I empty the grey and dump it, at which I clean out the portable tank and return it to it's storage location under the TT. My portable is a 35Gal which fits under the TT nicely. I have pulled it several thousand miles with no problem.

See pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer mods 002.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer mods 003.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer mods 010.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1837  

Jim & Eileen
Silverado 1500 Crew Cab, 5.3 ltr, prodigy controller.
2009 Rockwood 2604.

Running mates Max & Kate Chihuahua's

Hobie Kayaks on Thule rack on truck

Retired Army EOD
jdeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
Site Team

Dang, you'd think those itty bitty wheels would wear out
after several thousand miles!
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote