Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #1

Portable waste tanks

Looking for some actual "user" opinions on something. I am looking to purchase a portable waste tank about 32 gal. size to extend our camping trips to areas with no sewer hookups. I have a 35 ft. Travel Trailer. I have read many reviews of different brands on the web and am now suffering from brain overload. LOL. Some people like certain ones...others hate them. Some recommend certain brands...others say no. Some wouldn't use them...others think they come in handy in that they can stay longer at sites without sewer. Opinions on pros/cons you have experienced and suggestions on highly rated ones and practicality of use. Thanks and Happy Camping to all...
Tirebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:32 AM   #2

If ypu dry camp a lot, and if the places you camp have someplace to dispose of gray water, I see nothing wrong with using them. When we dry csmped we always carried and used one. It became a daily ritual for me qlong with filling the water tank. BTW dont know where you live, but if your in or near Oregon I have a fairly new one sitting in the shed for sale.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
Grammar Pedant

Because pop-up trailers often don't have storage tanks or have really small ones, the external/portable storage tanks are more commonly discussed among those trailers' owners. I recommend poking around in the various online pop-up forums. You'll find a lot more discussion about the options, form factors, and pros/cons of the solutions out there. This might help you better find a solution that meets your specific needs and expectations.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:56 AM   #4

I have a Thetford 18 gallon waste tote tank that I use when needed. If you are camping where you have access to a dumping station on the campground, I would not purchase anything bigger than the one I have because of the weight when full. My 18 gallon would weigh 150 pounds full and can be attached to the rear hitch of my truck to pull slowly to a dump station If you buy a 32 gallon unit, it will weigh more than 250 pounds full and would be a bear to move around. I'd buy smaller and plan more trips to the dump station despite the inconvenience. JM2C.

2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS, 10K Equal-i-zer Hitch
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD 5.7L iForce V8
FROG Member since March 2017
McRabbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #5
Site Team

Things to consider.

1. How you are going to move it to the dump site. a 20gal tote will weigh approx 170 lbs. If you are putting it in the TV how do you get it there? You can purchase models that can be towed a short distance. They are not made to tow any distance or speed.
2. Where will you carry / store it.

3. A nice option to have is a fill sensor. Nothing worse than to be dumping and tote is full along with the dump hose.

Although it is inconvenient, many times smaller is better.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

I have a 32 gallon and have no issues with it. Mine has air tires so it rolls easily. Try to get one that stores all the accessories inside or on it. I got a model that I have to carry an extra tote or container for the hoses and adapters.

I also discovered that my black tank is larger than the 30 gallons stated on my paperwork....
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #7

I agree with flybob. In addition to his comments I think a lot depends on where you camp. A tote works great if there is a dumpstation nearby in the CG because with 32gal you hook to the truck and drive REAL SLOW.

If you have to go a long ways there are better solutions like a bladder for the truck and a sewage pump. Then it sits in the truck bed and you can go further faster. This is larger but takes up less space (when empty) and requires power as well.

I think there are some full timers that will have lots of valuable feedback on this.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #8

I just bought a Camco Rhyno adapter for a garden hose that connects to the outlet of your gray water tank. I have a couple of 7 gal containers that i use to transport the gray water to the dump. Only $8 for the adapter.
Part of the fun of dry camping is don't waist water and try to come up with ways of saving it. So far We always do fine and don't need to empty the tank before we leave. Those totes are very expensive and We don't really need one.
If I had to get one I will get the 15 to 18 gals max. Water is heavy. Good luck.
pibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:51 AM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I agree with flybob. In addition to his comments I think a lot depends on where you camp. A tote works great if there is a dumpstation nearby in the CG because with 32gal you hook to the truck and drive REAL SLOW.

If you have to go a long ways there are better solutions like a bladder for the truck and a sewage pump. Then it sits in the truck bed and you can go further faster. This is larger but takes up less space (when empty) and requires power as well.

I think there are some full timers that will have lots of valuable feedback on this.
YEEEES. The sewer bladder is love. In comparison, totes suck.

Better than a turd hearse- a sewer bladder | Learn To RV

I've been able to drive down a road 5-6 miles (in the city of Albuquerque) to a gas station dump station with my sewer bladder in the truck bed.

With a 100gallon sewer bladder, I'm able to let the family shower like normal, run the washer/dryer like normal, and still only make 1 trip to the dump station. In fact, I can usually take my waste water AND a friend's waste water in a single trip.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
YEEEES. The sewer bladder is love. In comparison, totes suck.

Better than a turd hearse- a sewer bladder | Learn To RV

I've been able to drive down a road 5-6 miles (in the city of Albuquerque) to a gas station dump station with my sewer bladder in the truck bed.

With a 100gallon sewer bladder, I'm able to let the family shower like normal, run the washer/dryer like normal, and still only make 1 trip to the dump station. In fact, I can usually take my waste water AND a friend's waste water in a single trip.
Found a used 32 gallon Barker tote with pneumatic tires. Simply secure to hitch ball , drive slow and you'll have no issues. Perfect for our grey tank which is 30 gallons, never had to use for black tank.

2015 Tracer 3140RSD Touring
2016 Nissan Titan XD Diesel
Blue Ox Swaypro BXW1500
mmangiarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmangiarelli View Post
Found a used 32 gallon Barker tote with pneumatic tires. Simply secure to hitch ball , drive slow and you'll have no issues. Perfect for our grey tank which is 30 gallons, never had to use for black tank.
Problem is: "drive slow". In this case, I literally was driving on city streets with a 45mph speed limit. Driving slow seemed like it'd be a danger to me and those around me.

But, in a vast majority of situations- this isn't the case. In the rarity that it happens, the tote can be loaded into a truck and a macerator can be used to pump the "stuff" up into it.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:48 PM   #12

I suggest buying used in the same capacity as your gray tank. If you buy new, it’s only “new” till the first time you use it
viking2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank