Old 07-31-2016, 01:14 PM   #1
Possible Fire Hazard

We are on our 5th trip in our new 2017 Rockwood 2715VS and our 3rd dual port charging station (see picture 1). After working just fine, the first one stopped working during our 2nd trip. As this is a new TT I didn't get too excited and installed a replacement from our great dealer at Tropical RV in Ft. Pierce, FL.

During our 4th trip I was called in from outside by my wife stating that she smelled something burning. Sure enough as I entered I could smell that burning "plastic/electric" smell you get with overheating outlets (similar to the smell of a fluorescent ballast that has gone bad).

I traced the smell to the charging station area and removed it to find the outlet extremely hot. I promptly disconnected it (Picture 2).

After a discussion with a Forrest River tech we agreed that it was connected correctly and must have been another faulty unit. At this point I'm thinking they got a bad batch from the manufacturer.

Tropical got me another one and this time before I installed it completely, I ran a few tests (picture 3). Charging one device worked fine. I tried 1 iPad and 1 Android phone, it got very warm. I then tried charging two high draw devices (iPads). The 2 iPads caused the device to heat up dramatically.

Depending on the draw of the devices, I got varying charging amounts. The outlet would shut itself off (to cool down I suspect) and would intermittently turn on and try to charge some more and then would shut down again. Neither device received a consistent charge and it took a long time to get any increase in the batteries so I stopped the test.

Instead of soldering the connection, the outlet uses cheap crimping of wires that may be too small a gauge for the draw. This probably adds to the problem (Picture 4).

My conclusions are that the first station failed after trying to charge two devices and the second one did not fail but "faulted" to a dangerous heat source.

I have two suggestions:
1. The dual charging station should only be used for one device at a time.
2. Purchase a "smart" power adapter with a Smart Chip USB Controler for the round 12v socket. (Like this, picture 5, for around $10: )

Thanks and be safe!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	115912   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	115913   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160531_125755_resized_1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	115918   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160618_131825_resized.jpg
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	115919   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160722_135846_resized.jpg
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	115920  

Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:35 PM   #2
No Pictures..

As far crimp connections, they have used them in RV's since 1965 in my recollection. No Soldering of 12 v for a long time.

Do you have a manufacturer name so we can check ours as well?

B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
Sorry about the pictures, I can't seem to get them to load. And since I am on the iPad I can't "see" any information about them. Will try and fix this later.

The manufacturer is Sigma. Just found this link, too:
Old 07-31-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
only see 2 pictures
Epat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
It mentions on their site that "PLASTIC ports to connect and charge most electronic devices having USB (2.1A@ 5V*) and 12-Volt (10A or 20A**) plug." However, nothing is printed on the plugs themselves so user beware of your charging loads.