Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2018, 10:56 PM   #1

Powderpost beetles

Purchased a new forest river wildwood rv . 2018 model from funtown rv in Denton Texas. Picked it up October of 2017. Started seeing the piles of dust here and there. And once I got to looking. Finding all these holes from the beetles . I clean it up. Back in a few hours.. contacted both funtown. And forest river and as of right now. Getting a run around. Shuffled here and there and no one stepping up to handle this problem that came from them. I. Can't see buying. Paying that kind of money for something new. Already damaged. And no telling how extensive . Has anyone else had this problem with forest river rvs?
Bonapug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:49 PM   #2

so sorry...

read this thread...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-147620-2.html

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:00 AM   #3

After 5 to 6 months, they're likely going to say the source of the beetles was somewhere else. Can you get the unit to a freezing area?
Winterized and stored below freezing should kill of the little parasites.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
After 5 to 6 months, they're likely going to say the source of the beetles was somewhere else. Can you get the unit to a freezing area?
Winterized and stored below freezing should kill of the little parasites.
Apologies, just read that freezing will not kill eggs. Don't have a plan B.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
Apologies, just read that freezing will not kill eggs. Don't have a plan B.
Seems to me that a tent and fumigation processes like used for termites is in order.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:10 AM   #6
Censored Member

As far as I'm concerned Forest River should step up to the plate and do something about this issue.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:13 AM   #7
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManlyMan View Post
As far as I'm concerned Forest River should step up to the plate and do something about this issue.
What they should do, what they must do and what they will do are seldom the same thing.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:21 AM   #8

I read the thread you sent. I appreciate that. I'm assuming forest river stepped up and helped ? The thread was closed on that. And it was around time I bought mine. In my research I do know that These little beetles have been present for YEARS. And. Can still appear for years. I hope to either hear back from forest river today or the place I bought it. I was shuffled between the two yesterday. Each one saying to talk to the other on handling it. Which. Has only increased my frustration ten fold. To me. It's very simple. You sold a product that was bad. It happens. REPLACE IT. That simple. I hope this makes more people aware. And also hope that it helps another navigate through the process of rectifying it. I do know I'm needing this handled quickly before I decide to escalate this even further
Old 03-27-2018, 07:38 AM   #9

Here are some photos from obvious areas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4668.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	166318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4675.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	166319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4659.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	166320  
Attached Files
Old 03-27-2018, 09:48 AM   #10
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I had a similar experience with Americamp camper they refused to fix and thought I was nuts. DW wen't on line and looked up where they come from and how to get rid of. There is no sure fired way to get rid of the beetle. It can lay dorment for years before showing up. The beetle is common in Northern states. The only thing to do is replace the item infected. That is what we did just put a new door on the cabinet. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #11
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Seems to me that a tent and fumigation processes like used for termites is in order.
That did not work for us when we had that issue. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:03 AM   #12

I'm really frustrated when I see these replies. I'm sorry to hear of that outcome and hope that they aren't going to try that with me . When I purchased this 2018 forest river wildwood rv. I wanted it loaded. With options. Not woodboring beetles. That's wrong. Unethical and bad business to not resolve a problem that is clearly from the manufacturer. I'm pressing forward in this. And praying for a different outcome before I decide to camp outside of the rv store I purchased this from. And I have no problem doing that too with a sign posted on the outside of this thing
Old 04-01-2018, 10:21 AM   #13

I have them also. Opened the trailer after sitting for 4months and found the powder in our bedroom over the big window in the front. We have a 8329ss. Bought in September of 2017. Manufactured in August of 2017. Hoping FR will pay for fumigation. Quote from exterminator is $1700. Working thru our dealer in MI. Wants pictures and estimate from professional exterminator.
Tsmac43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:46 PM   #14

I'm sorry to hear of that.. and I'm curious what type of response you get on this as well and I can't help but wonder how often this comes up. You speak of getting it fumigated ? Of which this has been mentioned by forest river as well ,but what about the affected wood ? What about any that you can not see that have either not surfaced as of yet or are deeper in wood behind the paneling within trailer ? If your seeing the beetles emerge and the dust and damage .. imagine what we are not seeing . The life cycle on this type bug is 5 years I believe And it's rather resistant to treatments I'm a bit bugged here in Yexas to say the least
Old 06-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonapug View Post
I'm sorry to hear of that.. and I'm curious what type of response you get on this as well and I can't help but wonder how often this comes up. You speak of getting it fumigated ? Of which this has been mentioned by forest river as well ,but what about the affected wood ? What about any that you can not see that have either not surfaced as of yet or are deeper in wood behind the paneling within trailer ? If your seeing the beetles emerge and the dust and damage .. imagine what we are not seeing . The life cycle on this type bug is 5 years I believe And it's rather resistant to treatments I'm a bit bugged here in Yexas to say the least
we purchased 2018 hemisphere glx in feb 2018, manufactured in Aug 2017 also. Dealer has never heard of these, contact FR and their response was fumigate and fix damaged wood. i have the same thoughts as Bonapug on the unknown... are they going to warranty the life of the rv and fix as they all emerge? how do they fix those in crevices and joints that cant be seen. this is not the first that i'm reading with issue manufactured in Aug 2017 --- buy back /replace with fumigation before new issue might be acceptable.

what is the current status bonapug?
smith32533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:53 AM   #16

Powder post beetle problem

Welllll. I'm going on several months now of this ordeal. After much back and forth with FR and Funtown rv. The trailer was taken in for said repairs .. pest control and wood replaced.. though I stressed my concerns with was laid out in front of me.. my options and both parties refusing a buy back of this trailer. After one month, and a runaround on behalf of Funtown Rv. My trailer was dumped ( yes dumped ) off after I was left waiting close to 5 hours on their set drop time . That was just the minor issue... the techs thought it would be great to use my bathroom with no water for the month they had the trailer ..returned it with almost half tank of sewage that had been sitting ... the wood that was replaced. Not even tacked in Just sitting there with the trim pieces .. a defective water tank valve that was also in the list was completely disregarded ... AND. The pest control.. fumigation .. of which I requested a copy of pest control report ... was 2 cans of hotshot fresh scent spray ... livid does not begin to cover it. The tech from funtown. No longer employed. And ONCE again. Trailer going back in for repairs . I'm dumbfounded by this. Saddened that something that is not a consumer issue. Becomes a consumer issue. The future with this trailer ??? The beetles ?? Uncertain at best when you can't get any legitimate answers or help . Forest River is aware of these beetles. This is NOT their first or last encounter. And I hope and pray people pay attention. Possibly pull together to protect consumers in the future against this type of liability with a pest that's a manufacturer issue. Period. I'll update after this next round of repairs For future buyers. 2018 FR wildwood purchased at funtown Rv Denton Texas. Funtown cleburne is where the repairs are being attempted. Again
Old 06-13-2018, 01:27 AM   #17

WOW that would have me pissed. Sorry your having all these problems. Here's wishing you the best.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #18

Sorry to hear your experience was this bad....we are just finding them in our unit that we purchased new in Feb 2018. Our concerns are the same and want replacement, not rebuilt camper. The bugs mature roughly April to June --hope it's not an annual thing since it wasn't tented and fimigated.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #19
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonapug View Post
Welllll. I'm going on several months now of this ordeal. After much back and forth with FR and Funtown rv. The trailer was taken in for said repairs .. pest control and wood replaced.. though I stressed my concerns with was laid out in front of me.. my options and both parties refusing a buy back of this trailer. After one month, and a runaround on behalf of Funtown Rv. My trailer was dumped ( yes dumped ) off after I was left waiting close to 5 hours on their set drop time . That was just the minor issue... the techs thought it would be great to use my bathroom with no water for the month they had the trailer ..returned it with almost half tank of sewage that had been sitting ... the wood that was replaced. Not even tacked in Just sitting there with the trim pieces .. a defective water tank valve that was also in the list was completely disregarded ... AND. The pest control.. fumigation .. of which I requested a copy of pest control report ... was 2 cans of hotshot fresh scent spray ... livid does not begin to cover it. The tech from funtown. No longer employed. And ONCE again. Trailer going back in for repairs . I'm dumbfounded by this. Saddened that something that is not a consumer issue. Becomes a consumer issue. The future with this trailer ??? The beetles ?? Uncertain at best when you can't get any legitimate answers or help . Forest River is aware of these beetles. This is NOT their first or last encounter. And I hope and pray people pay attention. Possibly pull together to protect consumers in the future against this type of liability with a pest that's a manufacturer issue. Period. I'll update after this next round of repairs For future buyers. 2018 FR wildwood purchased at funtown Rv Denton Texas. Funtown cleburne is where the repairs are being attempted. Again

Since this is an agricultural pest(wood borne) could it be something to contact Federal Department of Agriculture with concern FR is transporting dangerous pests over state lines.
Just thinking out loud>

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:40 PM   #20

any change ? are you working with Plant #9 Warranty Mgr, Todd Jones? wildwood and salem are from the same plant.