Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #1

Power at the post

Ok,we have a CC Daydreamer that requires 50 amps however our park only has 30 amps and we're often popping breakers. I know we're using a lot of juice but i'm thinking the post isn't giving 30 amps. Is there a device that accuratly shows how many amps are coming out of the electrical outlet??
Thanks in advance!
Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...
MPI_Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #2

In order to test that much amps you would need a clamp type amp tester which can cost around 100-300 dollars and acess to 1 leg of the power to the 30/50 amp receptical. You have to clamp the tester around 1 leg not all three or they cancel out how the tester works but that is about the only way to do it accuratly. I know that it is not the cheapest way but it is the only way I know how.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #3

For this amount of current, you'll find a clamp-on ammeter to be the most effective instrument. It literally 'clamps-on' to your power lead and reads the amps based on the electromagnetic field generated. Unfortunately, a moderate quality meter will be ~$80. And it really has limited uses; unlike your basic VOM (volt-ohm meter).

These meters are available at most most Lowe's and Home Depot stores.
kablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #4

If you only run one AC unit, and lights, and when using the microwave, turn the AC off, and limit your lighting at least a little, 30 amps should do just fine. The vast majority of us trailer campers have 30 amps, with no issues. If you absolutely must use more power than that, you may just be forced to find a campground that has 50 amp service, as a lot of them do. OR, you may just have to "rough it,"as we 30 ampers have to do! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote