Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #1

power awning/support poles

We bought or first camper, Grey Wolf 28bh, got it home and it hasn't stopped snowing here in MN. While I am shoveling around the thing I am coming up with a couple questions...

First being about the support poles. Do a lot of people use these? One thing I especially like about the power awning is the open feeling, not having those support arms to walk into, like on the manual awnings.

With the supports, you have the poles then again the tie downs to trip on. My question is, what kind of weather or wind will these with stand, do you leave them set up the whole time you are camping? I was told any wind over 10-15mph, put the awning away.

Another question being about the power awning. Is there a way to angle the awning like a manual awnings for dew and light rain.

Thanks in advance for all the answers and advice.
jsKuchinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Just Love to Camp

PM a member by the name Old Coot. If you need to find him he has post on the Phat Phrog thread. He would be able to tell ya and he actually has made some that he has for sale. Quite a few members have bought these off of him.

I haven't since we don't use it awnings that much

Good luck and just tell him I sent ya!!!

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #3

Where I live, you must always be aware of the wind with your awning out. Wind gust are the worst. I use tie down straps and barbells as weights to prevent blow over. The set up can still get in the way, but I can leave the awning out i in higher winds than without it. Your awning can be angled by moving one arm in more tan the other.

Attached photo showing how I weight my awning down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	28579  
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Yes, you can tilt the power awnings from side to side. The awning poles have been used in winds as high as 25 mph without harm. The material will flutter, but the arms will not bang up & down and try to destroy themselves when you use the poles and ratchet straps. You can see some of the poles if you visit Forest River Forums - OldCoot's Album: Power Awning Tie Down (Self Storing)
Old 04-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. I saw the ones he is selling, and was just curious to the amount of people that use something like that. I like your system Vinster, looks simple. How about just putting two screw in anchors with out the poles. I understand not to over tighten the straps, but it would have to help with shaking everything.

About tilting the awning, I have one button so I can't run one side up higher than the other.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsKuchinka View Post
Thanks everyone. I saw the ones he is selling, and was just curious to the amount of people that use something like that. I like your system Vinster, looks simple. How about just putting two screw in anchors with out the poles. I understand not to over tighten the straps, but it would have to help with shaking everything.

About tilting the awning, I have one button so I can't run one side up higher than the other.
Not quite that simple jkKuchinka, the wind still gets under the awning and pulls the arms up and down without poles and ratchet straps. You will just have to try it and see for yourself.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #7

OldCoot, do you have these pretty much year round, just have to save up some cash and I will be buying a set from you!

With your system, what mph of wind do you take them down
Old 04-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
OldCoot, do you have these pretty much year round, just have to save up some cash and I will be buying a set from you!

With your system, what mph of wind do you take them down
Right now I have 9 sets left and that will be the end of them. Material is too hard to find and I'm tired of making them.

I have had my awning out in 25 mph winds and the awning material starts fluttering and is a little disturbing, so when the wind died down a little, we brought it in. The arms were still holding still, but the noise was very annoying. We never take it down in the rain.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #9

The only thing I would be concerned about is if there was a sustained strong wind, then they forcast even worse conditions and I wanted to bring the awning in. That would mean having to retract it in conditions that could destroy it.
Without having any means of tying it down, we just err on the side of caution and roll it up on windy days.
I really wish I had optioned a manual awning in place of the electric one we got. I didn't realise beforehand just how flimsy they are.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
The only thing I would be concerned about is if there was a sustained strong wind, then they forcast even worse conditions and I wanted to bring the awning in. That would mean having to retract it in conditions that could destroy it.
Without having any means of tying it down, we just err on the side of caution and roll it up on windy days.
I really wish I had optioned a manual awning in place of the electric one we got. I didn't realise beforehand just how flimsy they are.
Agree somewhat bakken other than I like the electric over the manual. We've rolled the electric in with sustained winds/rain and it takes two people, DW on one pole holding one ratchet strap, me holding the other along with the remote. Not pleasant if it's raining, but we've done it a couple of times. Easier than doing a manual in the same conditions which we've also done several times.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
MI Camperz

Quote:
This would make a good thread as an FYI. Pros/Cons of manual vs. electric awning. It's a big decision to consider. I have manual and wish I had electric, but now I'm wondering.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
This would make a good thread as an FYI. Pros/Cons of manual vs. electric awning. It's a big decision to consider. I have manual and wish I had electric, but now I'm wondering.
We've had both and I much prefer the electric after adding the poles. Before that, I didn't like the electric due to the problems bakken stated. Any wind and the d#$$% thing would start flopping, etc. Now, with the poles, I would not trade it for a manual unless I could put a motor on it, which I would try.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #13

I will just be more cautious with it out, and be aware of the wind. Thanks again!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
I just remember how sturdy my old manual awning was, and how pathetic the new powered one is. I could bend the arms with little effort on this "new and oh-so-handy" electric piece of garbage.
And with the manual, there was the sliding arms that you could attach anti-flapper clamps to. The electrics? Nothing there.
We left our manual out in all but hurricane force winds. Now, we often don't even bother with it.
They simply do not have to design them so poorly, and make them so cheap.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I just remember how sturdy my old manual awning was, and how pathetic the new powered one is. I could bend the arms with little effort on this "new and oh-so-handy" electric piece of garbage.
And with the manual, there was the sliding arms that you could attach anti-flapper clamps to. The electrics? Nothing there.
We left our manual out in all but hurricane force winds. Now, we often don't even bother with it.
They simply do not have to design them so poorly, and make them so cheap.
Think if you put poles of some kind on it and tie it down, you would like it better. Not as sturdy as the old manual, but a lot more convenient.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #16

Quote:
You tilt it manually after it is extended. Go outside and pull one side down and tighten the knob on the arm.
SuwanneeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuwanneeDave View Post
You tilt it manually after it is extended. Go outside and pull one side down and tighten the knob on the arm.
Just don't forget to reverse the procedure before rolling up the awning!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #18

Just a suggestion. I agree the electric awning are built cheaply and require extra care. If you need to get it rolled up in weather, attach the black strap and hang on while DW hits the switch. I think this would work.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuwanneeDave View Post
Thank you I will give it a try.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Just a suggestion. I agree the electric awning are built cheaply and require extra care. If you need to get it rolled up in weather, attach the black strap and hang on while DW hits the switch. I think this would work.
That's where the poles and the remote work great. Only problem is that if it's raining, two people get wet instead of one.