Old 02-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #1

Power Awning Tie Down or not

This is the first power awning we have had. We recently upgraded to a 831QBSS that was equipped with one. We have planned a beach trip in a couple months and were wondering if the power awning can be tied down like the manual awning at the windy beach.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #2

We tie our power awning down. That being said, if it gets real windy we un-tie it and roll it up, but for a light wind/breeze I like the tie downs to keep it from bouncing/snaping.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
We tie our power awning down. That being said, if it gets real windy we un-tie it and roll it up, but for a light wind/breeze I like the tie downs to keep it from bouncing/snaping.

X2
aujmr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvfamcamp View Post
This is the first power awning we have had. We recently upgraded to a 831QBSS that was equipped with one. We have planned a beach trip in a couple months and were wondering if the power awning can be tied down like the manual awning at the windy beach.
I always roll my awning up if I am leaving the camp site for a few hours. The reason, I lost one from rain water collecting on it. I always tilt it so the water rolls off of it. But that day the awning sagged in the middle and filled with water ( 16' awning ). Bent the roller tube and stretched the material.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
Sparkie

We have a 8528RKWS Flagstaff with a 16' power awning. I always tie it down. At the very outer edge of the main support arm there is a 1/4 " bolt. I took out the bolt & put a 1/4 " eye bolt with a jam nut in its place . I then use a snap hook attached to 1/4 " rope and tie it to a stake pounded in the gound. If the wind gets to strong, just pull down on the rope so you can reach the snap hook to undo and the roll your awning in. When the storm passes, just pull down on the arm and re-attatch the snap hook.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:00 AM   #6

Ok, a quick question on these power awnings, I just picked up a FR Wildcat 29 RLBS with a power awning, This is also my 1st 5er and 1st power awning. Is it possible to "tilt" the awning as I have done on my TT? Or is this not needed?

Bruce
Old 03-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #7

There should be an adjustment knob on each arm. After the awning is extended, pull the arm down to the desired tilt angle and tightened the knob. Just remember to release it before trying to retract the awning.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don.G View Post
We have a 8528RKWS Flagstaff with a 16' power awning. I always tie it down. At the very outer edge of the main support arm there is a 1/4 " bolt. I took out the bolt & put a 1/4 " eye bolt with a jam nut in its place . I then use a snap hook attached to 1/4 " rope and tie it to a stake pounded in the gound. If the wind gets to strong, just pull down on the rope so you can reach the snap hook to undo and the roll your awning in. When the storm passes, just pull down on the arm and re-attatch the snap hook.
A picture of your mod would be appreciated!

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
There should be an adjustment knob on each arm. After the awning is extended, pull the arm down to the desired tilt angle and tightened the knob. Just remember to release it before trying to retract the awning.
Older 9100 awnings shipped without the adjustable arms.
A mod is available from the manufacturer to add it.

IMO, the adjustable arms are not worth much. Mine won't hold in a light breeze without inviting King Kong to the camp to do the honors; then we need vice-grips to break camp.

As to tie downs with this awning:

Guy next to me in Key West last year tied down his 9100 and a gust of wind caught the awning causing the braces that the sping shocks pivot on to bend. IMO, had the awning been free to move, it would have flapped without damage; bouncing on the shocks.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #10

I learned the hard way a few years ago about not using tie downs. We had just setup the camper the first time, put the awning up, and then a big blast of wind sent it over the top of the camper. Both arms broke, we had to replace them that day. Lucky there was a store 6 miles down the road that had them. We NEVER use the awning without tie downs now.

2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning