Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #1

Power stabilizers, jack and awning-good or bad choice?

I'm looking at buying a new toyhauler with power stabilizers, power tongue jack and power awning. If something happens to the power or the motor in any of these, what then? Is there a manual method of operating each of these? If not it would seem power would not be a wise choice.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #2

Yes, there are manual controls. When you buy, the dealer will spend the better part of a day showing you the features of your new RV. This includes how to use the manual controls. I take things a bit further and bring my battery powered drill, a socket the size of the manual gear fittings and a 6" extension.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #3

The #1 item would be a power tongue jack, you do get tired of the crank in my opinion, alot easier. As far as the stabilizers, the manual are really the best and all you need is a cordless drill to lower them and raise them. They are probably scissor jacks which are alot stronger. they are not used to level the unit only as it say's stabilize the rear movement. Now a power awning is not as strong in a windy cond. and you can also put on flopper stopper to hold the canvas tight on a manual pull down because of the arms. It is really a piece of cake to lower and roll up it is on an auto winder(spring loaded). I would never own a tag long trailer with out a power jack again, well worth the money. Enjoy your new unit
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

after having manual awnings for years my new 5er had a power awning and I WILL NEVER have a manual awning again ! period .
the power awning will take quite a bit of wind but if you need to put it in just hit the button and 10 seconds later your done .
you can tie down a power awning as well .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #5

I am on my third camper and I have all three and love them.
powerstrokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning