Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #1

Power Switch not allowing voltage into coach

Recently I was readying the RV for a trip to Florida for the winter. It has been cold and rainy and the coach has not been used a month. I plugged in the 30 amp chord and nothing happened. No voltage came into the coach. I disconnected it and started the Generator and again no voltage was coming into the coach. Called my dealer and drove it down there and into the bay. He plugged it in and it worked. So did the generator. He and I suspect that the voltage relay switch had gotten moisture on the contacts and stuck in the nutural position. So far it has worked all the time like it should. Has that happened to anyone else. This was our first in all of the RVs we have owned.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaylor View Post
Recently I was readying the RV for a trip to Florida for the winter. It has been cold and rainy and the coach has not been used a month. I plugged in the 30 amp chord and nothing happened. No voltage came into the coach. I disconnected it and started the Generator and again no voltage was coming into the coach. Called my dealer and drove it down there and into the bay. He plugged it in and it worked. So did the generator. He and I suspect that the voltage relay switch had gotten moisture on the contacts and stuck in the nutural position. So far it has worked all the time like it should. Has that happened to anyone else. This was our first in all of the RVs we have owned.
I haven't seen this yet. Did have a TV once that would go on the fritz until I took it into the repair shop and then it would work flawlessly. After the 2nd trip the repair tech and myself came to the conclusion that the TV just wanted to get out and about once in a while.

I would guess cold and lack of use probably contributed. Hopefully it was just a one time thing for you.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #3

Could be a loose connection. To be safe I would pull the cover off the power distribution unit (should be in where the 30AMP cord is stored) and I would check all the lugs to make sure they are tight.
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaSteve View Post
Could be a loose connection. To be safe I would pull the cover off the power distribution unit (should be in where the 30AMP cord is stored) and I would check all the lugs to make sure they are tight.
I had a neutral burn out at the lug due to not being tightened properly. I found this when my Inverter showed a low L1 AC input. Checked it out and the wire had fried the lug. I cut about a foot off the cord and luckily there was a spare lug to use. I reinstalled the cord and the problem was solved.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
voltage