Old 08-20-2014, 06:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by B D HOWie View Post
Yarome
Just a caution. If you have 'full' hook ups keep the dump valves closed until you are ready to dump. The pressure head you get from this helps keep the tank cleaner. You may know this.
Happy camping wherever it may be.

Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using FR app
As above, you may also know this. Since the tanks have flat bottoms with little slope, solids don't drain well if there's not much liquid. Stuff will build up in the tank and even if it doesn't plug (I've known of it happening - fortunately not mine!) you will loose capacity. Let it fill at least half way, dump it all, then if you can, add water and dump again .

Old 08-20-2014, 06:42 AM   #12

I'm good when it comes to dumping procedures. I just didn't know that "full hookup" now means sewer service as well. I guess I had in the back of my mine that "full hookup" always meant water AND electric. RV'ing is getting all fancy now.

I appreciate the input.

~Cheers

Old 08-20-2014, 10:28 AM   #13

I have seen the power management system (PMS) concern posted many times on this and other RV forums and I don't remember anyone ever posting that someone took their PMS? It may happen but I would think that it is not often? I have two and they cost about $330 each for 50 AMP ones. They do much more them protect against surges. Low volts over time can cause lots of big problems as can bad grounds etc.
I wouldn't hookup without one, ever. In nice RV parks you don't usually find low lifes
who would take other peoples property. It may be different in remote locations?
Old 08-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #14

$330 wowzers. I think I'll just do the if I'm not at home just stow it routine.

I'm really looking forward to the coast trip, but it's really going to be a different kind of RV'ing than I'm used to. Stack em and rack em isn't quite my style, but I'll bear with it. I hear it's really amazing down the west coast corridor.

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
$330 wowzers. I think I'll just do the if I'm not at home just stow it routine.

I'm really looking forward to the coast trip, but it's really going to be a different kind of RV'ing than I'm used to. Stack em and rack em isn't quite my style, but I'll bear with it. I hear it's really amazing down the west coast corridor.

Thanks for the input.
It is.
Please be aware that some places can have up to a year waiting list.

FT. Stevens, WA. if you plan on going that far north is a must see.

Tillamook, OR.

Crater Lake National Park.

So much to see and do.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #16

Ford Idaho

You ain't kidding! I may have to postpone until next year. My plan was to start at the top and work my way down, but everywhere I've called keeps telling me to call back December 15th when the new season opens. The Washington state lady said it's not uncommon to have everything booked up within 2-3 days for the following year??

Don't get me wrong. I think it's great you folks like to get outdoors so much, but dang!!

Funny you should mention Tillamook. They have that cheese and sausage factory right. That was already on my must go to list.

Is the west coast always like that all the way down?

I've been down the interior corridor a couple of times.. crater lake (spent over a week there just gawking) absolutely beautiful. But it can't really that difficult to hit the west coastline is it?
Old 08-24-2014, 05:47 AM   #17

Extensions

I generally carry 15' of flex hose, a 25' potable water hose, and just the standard 30a power cable. What are they... 25'?

Will that do me at least 90% of time? I read a couple of posts that said to always carry extensions for all connections, but I'm not looking to fit every situation that might come up.

Appreciate the edjeekayshun. I'll return the favor when I can talk you folk into hitting the wilds with me!
Old 08-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
You ain't kidding! I may have to postpone until next year. My plan was to start at the top and work my way down, but everywhere I've called keeps telling me to call back December 15th when the new season opens. The Washington state lady said it's not uncommon to have everything booked up within 2-3 days for the following year??

Don't get me wrong. I think it's great you folks like to get outdoors so much, but dang!!

Funny you should mention Tillamook. They have that cheese and sausage factory right. That was already on my must go to list.

Is the west coast always like that all the way down?

I've been down the interior corridor a couple of times.. crater lake (spent over a week there just gawking) absolutely beautiful. But it can't really that difficult to hit the west coastline is it?
Yep, you need to put the phone numbers on speed dial and start calling at 8 am and call often.

I lived in Springfield, OR. area when I was a kid and every weekend we would go to the coast, it was jammed back then so nothing has changed over the last five decades.

Yes Tillamook is where the cheese is made, good stuff right there...

Try for some time just before school lets out if that works for you.

And even after they say they are booked call back now and again in case someone canceled out.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #19
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
As for theft around the campsite at night, we have a great burglar alarm. We have 2 yappy papillions that love to bark at any sound. With 150 nights out so far this year we have had no problems.

One other trick we have relied on for keeping that black tank clear is...every time we break camp for home...I dump the last of our ice cubes in the toilet and let them ride to the dump station in there. That rough edged wave action does wonders.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums