Old 07-06-2015, 03:53 PM   #21

With all due respect you are living in a fantasy world if you think the GM / Owner/ Sales Rep is going to repeat an inspection done by a technician. If you were to include a portion of the salaries of all these people in the price of the unit, you would be complaining that they are not competitive in pricing. From what I read on this forum, people will shop all over the country for the best price they can get, (which means that dealers will cut price to the bone) and expect to also get first class service. Just aint gonna happen my friend. Then to make matters worse, expect the local dealer who has not made a penny on the sale to perform the low paying warranty work when he has paying customers waiting for service or customers who have purchased from him. Unlike the auto business where dealers can actually turn a profit on warranty service this is not the case in the RV Industry. It will take a systematic change in the industry to accomplish that. Don't hold your breath.

2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:31 PM   #22

I live in the Cincinnati area and Couch RV appears to be a good RV dealership. Last year when shopping for a TT, I did the internet shopping thing, then went to my local dealer to negotiate. I gave them a copy of the best deal that I had found, then asked them what they could do to "come close". I was willing to pay the additional $ 300 or so to have some leverage when I needed service. I must say it was money well-spent. I am surprised that your local dealer was unwilling - or unable - to come close to the internet price when you consider the cost of transporting it from Ohio to Texas.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza2786 View Post
I live in the Cincinnati area and Couch RV appears to be a good RV dealership. Last year when shopping for a TT, I did the internet shopping thing, then went to my local dealer to negotiate. I gave them a copy of the best deal that I had found, then asked them what they could do to "come close". I was willing to pay the additional $ 300 or so to have some leverage when I needed service. I must say it was money well-spent. I am surprised that your local dealer was unwilling - or unable - to come close to the internet price when you consider the cost of transporting it from Ohio to Texas.
The closest both Vibe dealers could come to their price was still over $5050 more After all costs

You need to understand that because of the oil and gas boom in Texas, RV dealers can mark their units up higher than normal and aren't willing to budge on price. They know that another buyer will come along in a few hours and pay full price (or whatever they are asking).

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #24

Sounds about right - one of the local dealers was selling a lot of units to guys working on frac units in North Dakota. Of course, that was before the oil price crashed.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza2786 View Post
Sounds about right - one of the local dealers was selling a lot of units to guys working on frac units in North Dakota. Of course, that was before the oil price crashed.
Yeah, our fracking has picked up again. I pretty much have $5000 worth of repair money if the dealers won't support warranty coverage.....that's how I look at it.

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #26

I haven't had any warranty work performed yet - have a couple of issues to get addressed once the camping season is over. Since it's nothing serious, figured that they'd be backed up right now. The minor issues that I've had have mostly been self-inflicted!
Old 07-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #27

I have learned as part of your PDI you must crawl under the camper and inspect for rust. I purchased a new Lacrosse from Southern RV in Lafayette, LA and after I had it less than two months I noticed a rust problem under the camper. That problem was there when I purchased it and no one told me about it. The camper was built on February 5, 2015, I bought it in April and noticed the problem in June while I was just looking under it, just piddling. The screws holding the propane outlet for the outdoor kitchen was rusted and broken and the outlet was hanging from the underbody. The adjusting bolt on the slideout was so rusted it was flaking. I contacted Southern and Prime Time. Southern took pictures and sent to Prime Time. First response was rust was not covered under warranty, denied. Second response was allow four hours, scrape the rust and spray rustoleum. I feel I deserve a replacement since this problem existed BEFORE I purchased the camper. Now, Prime Time is evaluating the situation and determining what part they will play in the repairs. I don't want it repaired, I want what I should have gotten in the first place, a camper in new condition. I am told the owner of Forest River monitors the forum. If so, I appeal to him to do what is ethically and morally right. Lesson: go over the ENTIRE camper before accepting and leaving with it.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:29 PM   #28

I do not think that anyone that buys a unit from a dealer out of the area cannot expect to get good service from their local dealer . Forest. River states in their brochure that the dealer that has not sold the unit can do warranty work on the one's they sold before the one's that they have not sold . I am very lucky up here in Western Mass that the area dealer is very good .any problems that I have had they get me in and out as soon as possible . Normally in a day or two . The dealer is Orchard Trailer .
Old 07-06-2015, 08:57 PM   #29
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Your living a dream world. Good luck hope it works. I also would rather pick up or maybe got something close to home. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:59 PM   #30

Ya right! Sorry not going to work out that way. But the guys in service are going crazy

Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdi