Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #1

Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) - My List!

We should be taking delivery of our new Forest River Vibe 308BHS later this week. It was suppose to be completed today. I know these units are selling like hotcakes but I'm also very concerned that I will have issues out of the gate. We are purchasing our unit from Jeff Couch RV Nation and it will be delivered 1250 miles from Ohio to South Texas. I will not be able to do an in-person PDI, so I've asked that the technician go by their list as well as one that I've created. Brian Combs is my Sales rep and so far he has been outstanding to work with. I've asked him to also do a PDI on my unit (As he use to work in the service dept before doing sales). I've created a laundry list of items (many based on experiences new owners have dealt with on this forum). I'm hoping they can address any issues before the unit makes a very long initial trip down here. Please add to the list if you believe I've missed anything. Some of the items cover many areas of concern. I really don't want to have a bad first experience with a brand new RV. The good news is that I'm pretty handy with tools (I'm a hobby wood craftsman as well as mechanic), so I'm sure I can address almost anything (aside from some major component either damaged or failing to function). I'm also an Aeronautical & Mechanical Engineer, so hopefully I can make my new RV fly....jk

PDI on my Forest River Vibe 308BHS
PLEASE ENSURE YOUR DEALERSHIP INSPECTS, REPAIRS, AND ADDRESSES ANY OF THESE POTENTIAL ISSUES BEFORE DELIVERY.

STRUCTURAL / MECHANICAL ISSUES
___: Ensure the 4 Power Stab Jacks and the mounting BOLTS have thread lock and are properly torqued and not coming loose.
*Many claim they were loose during the PDI. Some have backed out during the drive home, causing severe damage.

___: Make sure the leaf spring/shackles are not damaged/improperly welded to the frame
*Some claim the shackles have broken loose from the frame, causing significant safety issues.

___: Make sure the floor heating flows properly.
*Many claim there is often a blockage preventing the air come flowing through the floor/ceiling vents

___: Make sure all tanks to not leak and all external connections have been installed properly
*Many have claimed that the manufacture has actually forgotten to install the correct lines on the outside

___: Make sure both slides work properly and fully open and close. Also ensure they are aligned when open and closed.
*Some have claimed that they do not completely close properly

___: Make sure the Power Tongue Jack functions properly
*Some claim this component does not function properly from day 1

___: Make sure the Trailer Coupler is connected properly to the frame
*Some claim this component fails due to improper initial installation

___: Make sure that the covered underbelly has been secure properly and there are no visible signs of it coming loose.
*Some have claimed parts are sagging even before taking delivery

INTERIOR ISSUES
___: Make sure the pedestal bases for the dining table are secured using proper size/length screws
*Very common issue: Many have claimed the table is loose and the screws are inadequately small.

___: Make sure the cabinet drawer latches are able to hold the drawers shut, especially while in motion
*Many have claimed that the draw latches do not hold them shut while driving

___: Make sure the light above the dinette is secure properly
*Many claim that the screws are too small and will not hold the fixture in place actually causing the light to fall.

___: Make sure all trim/molding on interior is properly secured.
*Many claim it starts to fall down within the first few weeks of ownership.

FINAL INSPECTION
___: Ensure the wheels have been properly torqued and installed

___: Ensure all interior cabinet panels are functioning properly and installed correctly.

___: Ensure all exterior molding/plastic/trim/and exterior kitchen components have been installed properly.

___: Ensure all propane connections are tight and working properly

___: Ensure all interior wood panels have no exposes nails, screws, or are loose.

___: Ensure that all supports for the bunk area have been properly installed

___: Look for areas where the manufacture did not properly staple/secure wood parts together
*Couch, Bunks, Cabinets, Master bed area

___: Ensure ALL interior and exterior lights function properly (Brake, Turn signals, reverse, awning, interior trim, standard)
(LED & Standard bulbs)

___: Ensure the awning has been installed properly, screws/bolts are tight, and functions correctly

___: Ensure the exterior step and main grab handle has been secured properly

___: Ensure all windows have been properly installed, opening and staying closed without issue.

___: Ensure the skylight above the lavatory has been properly installed and screws are not loose

___: Ensure all appliances function without issue and are in brand new condition

___: Ensure the air conditioning / heating systems function without any issues.

___: Ensure all mechanical components are in excellent operating condition

___: Ensure all pumps, valves, seals, electrical components, hardware, and structural parts are in excellent condition with no visible/mechanical signs of improper installation and/or manufacturing.

___: Ensure there are no signs of fiberglass, decals, roof, or any other areas showing delamination.

Technicians Signature:

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #2

I hope you really don't want a signature on that! I don't know anyone who would sign it. Once they sign it they are taking responsibility for it. I'm sure they will check things but you might not get anyone to sign it. Just my $.02
Old 07-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #3

Well of course I really want a signature. Not sure I'll get one, but if you don't ask yo won't receive. If they do sign it, then I'll know they are awesome to do business with and take ownership of their product. If they don't, then my expectations haven't been exceeded, but perhaps met.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:47 AM   #4

That's a great list- should be checked and signed by quality assurance engineer at the factory and then at the dealer for pdi! That's what we're all paying for, supposedly.
Yorkranchgalnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Down side you should be doing the PDI with the dealer even if it means waiting on your part to get there. I would never trust this type of inspection. Seen these done on new cars ya they just put the check marks down not even looking. The only way to guarantee it's done right if you are there. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkranchgalnguy View Post
That's a great list- should be checked and signed by quality assurance engineer at the factory and then at the dealer for pdi! That's what we're all paying for, supposedly.
Thanks. I couldn't agree more. It's funny that we all want "Made in America" to mean something special. It's demoralizing when crap is permitted to run off American assembly lines. Funny how China makes so many products that are considered junk and Products from Germany are considered great. American product should be second to none. The RV industry could easily improve their product and manufacturing if they simply invested more in quality and quantity. I even called Forest River and told them I would be willing to pay an additional $3000 for my unit if they could reinforce, improve, and make my unit superior to normal assembly line units. Unsurprisingly, they declined my offer. So, I hope I am a literally a happy camper when my unit arrives.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Down side you should be doing the PDI with the dealer even if it means waiting on your part to get there. I would never trust this type of inspection. Seen these done on new cars ya they just put the check marks down not even looking. The only way to guarantee it's done right if you are there. Later RJD
i believe that due to the high number of out of state deliveries Couth RV nation does, they should have the 5 step inspection process place.

Step 1: Service Dept inspects unit
Step 2: Service Manager does another inspection
Step 3: Service dept addresses issues
Step 4: Sales Rep does inspection
Step 5: Sales Manager/General Manager performs final inspection
I guess Step 6: service dept addresses issues

Delivered.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #8

You are in trouble! Depending on dealer to do a real PDI is a joke. Then when you have problems trying to get the dealer to repair is a fight. I just hung up with dealer trying to get ours back in to repair floor damage from last time they work on it. Most problems are repeated item that they half a** repaired. If I could get floor repaired by them and hand me the parts to fix other items myself they would never see me again! I hope you have better luck then we had.
67cudafb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:09 PM   #9

Service

It all means nothing - you need to be there for the PDI - as my belief is half the problems are caused by the buyer. You need to know how to use everything as most dealers and service departments don't even know and most places don't give thorough PDI's so customers know how to correctly use everything. The other half is getting service. Everyone tries to get things fixed at the same time of year - and they need it now. It leaves many campers in the sorry position of having their units in the service dept for months instead of out camping. One of the most important things I have learned is where you buy it and who you will be dealing with in the future (there will be issues and repairs needed). I have noticed they all seem to be so helpful before the sale - and after you are dealing with their service dept - not the salesman. Forget about the salesman - go in person to their service department and see if you can get along with their service department manager as he is the one you will be dealing with ...
enheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by enheaven View Post
It all means nothing - you need to be there for the PDI - as my belief is half the problems are caused by the buyer. You need to know how to use everything as most dealers and service departments don't even know and most places don't give thorough PDI's so customers know how to correctly use everything. The other half is getting service. Everyone tries to get things fixed at the same time of year - and they need it now. It leaves many campers in the sorry position of having their units in the service dept for months instead of out camping. One of the most important things I have learned is where you buy it and who you will be dealing with in the future (there will be issues and repairs needed). I have noticed they all seem to be so helpful before the sale - and after you are dealing with their service dept - not the salesman. Forget about the salesman - go in person to their service department and see if you can get along with their service department manager as he is the one you will be dealing with ...
I concur.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #11

Well, being there isn't a possibility. My father will be here with me when it arrives and he is an RV genius (in my opinion). He has had just about every type of RV built and is now sporting a huge 2015 Beaver Entegra 44' motor home. He's going to give me one of his legendary military briefings on all things RV. I've rented several as well, so hopefully I will know how to operate just about everything.

I am pretty handy with power tools and engineering and will probably be able to improve the design given a few days to work on it. I tend to rebuild just about everything I buy. My first task will be to reinforce everything with pared drilled, countersunk, stainless screws. Secondly, I plan on reinforcing the suspension and frame components.

Apparently Vibe moved to a completely difference frame in 2015. It now uses all bolt on components and structure vs welded. This is a huge advantage because up don't get the metal fatigue and weakening you get with welds. I will tighten and secure everything to the frame.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:14 PM   #12

Why ask for a signature when you don't think you'll get one? Also you need to know the RV industry, a friend of mine called RV's nothing but a box of air on wheels. You may want to change your expectations. Plan for problems and then they may not bother you so much. We love our new Forest River Wildcat even though I've had to some self repairs.
Paul Evenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:20 PM   #13

I am curious as to why you wouldnt be there? Are you not picking it up at all? It is being delivered to a dealer? I assume you would have to pick it up at that point, why not do your own PDI then?

Not to be rude but this course of action seems terrible in my opinion. Just read all the posts of people having problems and then scroll down like 3 to 4 comments and they admit to not doing a PDI or not doing an adequate PDI in person. My dealer has been fantastic but I found a few things they missed. Your list seems good if you were doing it but I wouldn't trust them to do it for you.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
I am curious as to why you wouldnt be there? Are you not picking it up at all? It is being delivered to a dealer? I assume you would have to pick it up at that point, why not do your own PDI then?

Not to be rude but this course of action seems terrible in my opinion. Just read all the posts of people having problems and then scroll down like 3 to 4 comments and they admit to not doing a PDI or not doing an adequate PDI in person. My dealer has been fantastic but I found a few things they missed. Your list seems good if you were doing it but I wouldn't trust them to do it for you.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.
Well, I am doing a PDI, but after its being delivered to me. I'm 1250 mile from the dealership. I actually got off the phone with a peer who supports a Forest River as their network vendor. He lives about an hour from Goshen and has some great upper level contacts at their facility. He purchased his unit from Couch also and spent a lot of time at the factory watching his get built. He is going to do a PDI while it's still at the plant for me. He also is going to bring their senior inspector in to help. I'm hoping my connection pays off.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by enheaven View Post
X3 on this. I spent 5 hrs at my local dealership getting pdi repairs done. I have had a ton of other issues (major and minor) since. I learned first hand how important the pdi, relationship with the local dealership and factory are. It took a year to get it straightened out but at the end I have nothing but positive to say about forest river customer service and my local dealership (bill Plemmons in Raleigh). I Would fly up to do the pdi and then take delivery later if I were you.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Well, I am doing a PDI, but after its being delivered to me. I'm 1250 mile from the dealership. I actually got off the phone with a peer who supports a Forest River as their network vendor. He lives about an hour from Goshen and has some great upper level contacts at their facility. He purchased his unit from Couch also and spent a lot of time at the factory watching his get built. He is going to do a PDI while it's still at the plant for me. He also is going to bring their senior inspector in to help. I'm hoping my connection pays off.
Ok, I get it now, your dealer is in Ohio you are in Texas. You want the dealer to do PDI and fix everything then it will be delivered to Texas from the dealer in Ohio. I understand what is going on now.

Is the dealer delivering it? or a third party transporter? Also, what is your plan for repair and warranty work? In my area (SLC-UTAH) all dealers are backed up in repairs and they often times turn you away if you didn't purchase from them due to the long waits and dealing with their own customers first. I am sure you weighed all of the pros and cons of a local dealer but just have a back up plan in case the unit shows up with something wrong either from the pdi or the two transports it has to endure.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you!

Old 07-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
Ok, I get it now, your dealer is in Ohio you are in Texas. You want the dealer to do PDI and fix everything then it will be delivered to Texas from the dealer in Ohio. I understand what is going on now.

Is the dealer delivering it? or a third party transporter? Also, what is your plan for repair and warranty work? In my area (SLC-UTAH) all dealers are backed up in repairs and they often times turn you away if you didn't purchase from them due to the long waits and dealing with their own customers first. I am sure you weighed all of the pros and cons of a local dealer but just have a back up plan in case the unit shows up with something wrong either from the pdi or the two transports it has to endure.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you!
Exactly. I am paying Couch RV to deliver it. They use a national company which I'm sure subs out work to owner operators. Even if I were their to do the PDI, the trek down to Texas would probably cause more issues. One of the The local dealers I have spoken to says they are backed up but even on their own units. They said they have no problem doing warranty work for units purchased at other dealers. They work them in the same as they do locally purchased units. Regardless, I plan on doing most of the repairs myself, if needed.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Exactly. I am paying Couch RV to deliver it. They use a national company which I'm sure subs out work to owner operators. Even if I were their to do the PDI, the trek down to Texas would probably cause more issues. One of the The local dealers I have spoken to says they are backed up but even on their own units. They said they have no problem doing warranty work for units purchased at other dealers. They work them in the same as they do locally purchased units. Regardless, I plan on doing most of the repairs myself, if needed.
That's good that you have already talked with them and started building that relationship, it will most likely help. It sounds like your bases are covered and it's just a waiting game until the TT shows up. Hopefully this will all be for nothing and you wont need any repairs or anything that needs a dealer.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #19
Site Team

we bought our HTT from a dealer 2000 miles away.
but we went there to pick it up.
that way we saved a ton of money on delivery charges, were present for a 3hr PDI and just turned the return into a camping trip.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #20

Grand poobah of steelhead and salmon on the fly

Bought my new Greywolf 27RR last fall ! ....went underneath and silicone caulked all of the loose electrical and mechanical extensions (and there were many...added supports and straps to same to prevent vibration damage, got spraycans of rubber spray and black rustoleum n painted all of the "Pre-Rusted galvanized gas piping"...added supports to copper lines. Now Im dealin with interior trim dislocation and very faulty door operation...and resetting slideout seal framing screws evertime travel exceeds 40 miles. Have not decieded yet to use a 'Threadlock compound" on these Philips head sheet metal screws,,,PL400...or try pop rivets. Ive only put 15000 miles on chasis and did the wheel bearings at 10,000. The tires (China Bombs) are what scare me so I went over to check U-Haul trailers and ALL HAVE Truck tires 65 t0 80 psi...Finally got the stove n refrigerator to work "When I wanted it Werkin"! Pulls beautifully with both Harley DeLuxes in the Garage behind the 2014 F250 crewcab diesel Lariat my wife bought me....when my 8th chev suburban wouldn't pull it ! When the new tires are on and I mount my 2 spares underneath its off to British Columbia for Steelhead n Salmon. With the F250 I did not need any additional towing features....Love the towhaul feature and at 65 mph getting 14 mpg.
juice5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdi