Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #1

Preparing for the East Coast Storm

So what plans and precautions have you made. I have had little time to prepare the camper but I will pull in the slides and put down the rear jacks. I do have a tree that is of concern but no time now to get it down. I work for a Electric Utility so I have been tied up for several long days preparing.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #2

Our camper is currently where we store it for the winter on a driveway extension at my mother-in-laws house. It has been winterized and is all closed up. We have not covered it yet, not sure if thats a good thing or not, just have not gotten to it yet. It survived Irene last year on the dealers lot, we bought it in September. Where it is located it is somewhat protected from the wind, depending on direction. Nothing we can do now but wait and see what happens
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #3

It's funny you should ask. Had a call from Verizon.Call from BGE (electric)and finally an email from Geico stating we should have our RV prepped and ready to go.

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 (CTD) DRW 4x4
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #4

Actually one thing we have done is started the refrigerator. The camper is plugged in ad if we loose power it will switch over to gas. Just doing this in case we loose power for any extended time, we can move stuff over to the campers fridge.
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #5

Didn't plug ours in, but you have a very sound idea Paulmac. Ours is Columbus is winterized/covered, but if need be we can get into it to cook or use the fridge. Guess we'd need to put the battery back in then also. Hope this hurricane fizzles and the winds aren't too bad.
Barpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #6

good luck to everyone in the path of the hurricane, just remember your units can be replaced but YOU can't. Be safe and keep us up to date. God keep all safe.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #7

Sandy

Here in the mountains of Southwest Virginia the weather guessers are calling for wind gusts to 45 or 50 mph with possible loss of power. So, I filled the water tank, turned the refrigerator on electric and turned the LP gas on. Motorhome water system is winterized, but that can be flushed in a few minutes and redone quickly afterwards. I also rigged a plug to where I can backfeed the house from the coach generator (after opening the house main breaker of course) to run the house fridge and a couple of lights. I also have a way to feed one of my neighbors power to keep a fridge and a light or 2.
Stand by to stand by...

Chris in Roanoke, VA

PS
Just talked to son over in Virginia Beach, VA and they have had rain off and on since yesterday evening. His work (Navy) has told him to stay home Monday 29 October, they will call him. He is a couple of miles inland and hopes things will be OK, no evacuation orders.

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
Columbus 302 rs

We filled the water tank in case power goes out. Campground is on a well.
We are prepared to bring in the slide-outs and when I return from DC tomorrow, be prepared to hitch-up and turn into the wind which should be from the NW here in the Shenandoah Valley. We are on the cusp between the high winds and possible snow.
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #9

We were camping this weekend with our popup, and had to pack up early for Sandy's arrival bands of rain. Parked in its spot, chocked and with the tongue jack down so I get the best drainage off the top. Rear stabilizers are down and the cover has some extra straps. I'll check in on it Thursday after the storm passes and open it up to check and begin winterizing.
SchafferFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #10

Ours is plugged in next to the house. The fridge is still on since we haven't winterized it yet. All the water is drained out of it. If we get that desperate for water There is a 40 gallon water heater in the basement full of it. They are calling for some wind and a lot of rain here Monday night into Tuesday. I'm not too worried about us. The stuff can be fixed. I just want to make sure the family is safe.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote