Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2017, 04:27 PM   #21

I got this one last year:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It doesn't look quite as 'cool' as some of the ones above. But it works well and as said, it's nice to not have to worry about finding wood, etc. Heck, at this age, I ain't awake much after dark anyhoo...........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
We got the one in the link below a few years ago ( $69 July4th sale).
Aurora Portable Gas Fire Bowl (67805A) - Outdoor Fireplaces - Ace Hardware
Yup, that's exactly the same as mine... made in massive quantities in China and sold many places under many brands. Convenient, light, easy to carry and store.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #23
Broken Toe

Sorta off-topic but...

I chose to go the electric route. A couple of years ago, when it was hotter than hell, we were camping way down south in Missouri. Nobody wanted to have a fire because it was still about 90 degrees at night, so we stuck a small tiki torch in the middle of the fire ring for a little light. A couple weeks later, still pretty hot, we were in Hermann, MO, coming back through the campground and I noticed a 5ver with a roaring fire and people sitting around. I was amazed that the people weren't bursting into flames.

Turns out they had an electric camp fire. All the glow and 'ambiance', no heat at all. its called a "Chauvet Bob". I got one and it is real nice on those hot summer nights. Of course, it takes FOREVER to toast you marshmallow for s'mores, but ya gotta trade something off...

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bob].jpg
Views:	68
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	128513  

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:30 AM   #24

I'll give a +1 for the Little Red Campfire. Love the portability and light weight. It'll go through a 20# tank of propane in 2 nights, depending on how high you want it. The only complaint is that the circular "logs" that are included are fragile...mine broke from being transported all the time. Went to Lowes, bought a $4 bag of lava rocks to use instead, and it works great--it even retains more heat now with the rocks instead of the asbestos fake logs. I love not transporting wood and not smelling like smoke, and the ability to just turn it off when it's bedtime rocks. Also great when there's a fire ban--you're suddenly the most popular campsite in the CG.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
I'll give a +1 for the Little Red Campfire. Love the portability and light weight. It'll go through a 20# tank of propane in 2 nights, depending on how high you want it. The only complaint is that the circular "logs" that are included are fragile...mine broke from being transported all the time. Went to Lowes, bought a $4 bag of lava rocks to use instead, and it works great--it even retains more heat now with the rocks instead of the asbestos fake logs. I love not transporting wood and not smelling like smoke, and the ability to just turn it off when it's bedtime rocks. Also great when there's a fire ban--you're suddenly the most popular campsite in the CG.

I could see that one coming with mine. They get carefully wrapped in bubble wrap. I think the newer ones are different than mine, like maybe 1 piece but still fragile. Still nice though, when you can't bring your own wood or what's available is green, etc
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #26

I just wish I Videoed the "Conversation" between the NPS Officer and the Campers who had a "Contained Propane Fire Pit" lit on their Site right beside a "HUGE SIGN" that said "NO FIRES"! This was out west during All of the Huge Forrest Fires in the National Parks! Youroo!!
Old 01-23-2017, 10:59 AM   #27

We have tried the propane fire pits, along with several of our friends. They are convenient to a point. The bad part is they all eat up the propane in copious quantities. And if you actually need the warmth, you have to sit on top of them. So if you aren't close to town where you can refill your tanks you end up hauling extra propane instead of wood. So we only use our propane pit when we are in close proximity to others like in a park that allows them. The rest of the time we use our wood burning washing machine drum.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane