Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Thurman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albany, GA.
Posts: 1,110
I learned from an older, more experienced camper: Use colored zip ties on your LP bottles. Place a green, orange or yellow, and a red zip tie on the handle of your bottle. If you see a green one on the bottle-it's full. If you see a yellow or orange one on the bottle it's in use. If you see a red only on the bottle it's empty. This works only if you remove the zip ties are properly removed
__________________

__________________
2015 FR Freedom Express 310BHDS pushing a 2014 GMC Sierra CC
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:06 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
wicked1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Manahawkin
Posts: 2,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Sams club sells new ones WITH a float gauge for $29.95 too.I just bought 4 of them.I will keep one of the tanks that came with the 5er and probaly give the other one away.


Yeah BJ's does too and I just got one for home BBQ it seems to be accurate
__________________

__________________
2016 F350 Supercew Short Box 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
2013 Crusader 295RST Touring Edition
wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #53
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 19,265
I was needing some propane for our shop heater this morning, and was debating just exchanging a cylinder across the road at a dollar general. Their price was total of $22.09 but only had fifteen pounds of propane as we have discussed previously.

When I did the math that is $1.47 per pound. Decided it was just too much cheaper to drive the 1 and a half miles to my local tractor supply, where I can get it all the way filled with twenty pounds, for $2.49 a gallon, or between 0.62-0.65 cents a pound depending on their meter. Their meter will show anywhere between 4.5-4.7 gallons to fill my empty twenty pound cylinders.

So tractor supply is less than half the price per pound of propane vs the exchange across the road. Pretty good price difference.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190111_084709.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	194375
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I hate it when people don't know the difference between ur and u'r!
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I was needing some propane for our shop heater this morning, and was debating just exchanging a cylinder across the road at a dollar general. Their price was total of $22.09 but only had fifteen pounds of propane as we have discussed previously.

When I did the math that is $1.47 per pound. Decided it was just too much cheaper to drive the 1 and a half miles to my local tractor supply, where I can get it all the way filled with twenty pounds, for $2.49 a gallon, or between 0.62-0.65 cents a pound depending on their meter. Their meter will show anywhere between 4.5-4.7 gallons to fill my empty twenty pound cylinders.

So tractor supply is less than half the price per pound of propane vs the exchange across the road. Pretty good price difference.Attachment 194375

$2.49/gal. seems a little high right now. Last time I went to Costco (3 weeks ago) propane was $1.97/gal. & that was down $.28 since October. I filled up 1 30 lb tank (7.1 gal.) and topped off another (4.6 gal.) for under $24. Just sayin' that that seems like a pretty big price spread from 2 large chain retailers. I have to go again today so, I'll edit this post once I get back.
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"[/I][/B]
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
$2.49/gal. seems a little high right now. Last time I went to Costco (3 weeks ago) propane was $1.97/gal. & that was down $.28 since October. I filled up 1 30 lb tank (7.1 gal.) and topped off another (4.6 gal.) for under $24. Just sayin' that that seems like a pretty big price spread from 2 large chain retailers. I have to go again today so, I'll edit this post once I get back.
$2.49 is high because it's the price for a tank exchange for a not-full tank, which was wmtire's point. First they charge more for the "convenience" of simply exchanging a tank rather than waiting around for it to be filled, then they charge you even more because they don't actually give you a full tank.

Since you filled your own tanks, then wmtire's $1.47 price is closer to what you should have paid. Looks like you paid $2.05 for 11.7 gals. So you still paid almost 40% more than wmtire did.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #56
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 19,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
$2.49/gal. seems a little high right now. Last time I went to Costco (3 weeks ago) propane was $1.97/gal. & that was down $.28 since October. I filled up 1 30 lb tank (7.1 gal.) and topped off another (4.6 gal.) for under $24. Just sayin' that that seems like a pretty big price spread from 2 large chain retailers. I have to go again today so, I'll edit this post once I get back.
Tractor Supply here has been averaging that price for a little bit. It was $2.59 per gallon around Thanksgiving.

We don't have a Costco nearby, so I can't get it as cheap as you are.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I hate it when people don't know the difference between ur and u'r!
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #57
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 19,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
$2.49 is high because it's the price for a tank exchange for a not-full tank, which was wmtire's point. First they charge more for the "convenience" of simply exchanging a tank rather than waiting around for it to be filled, then they charge you even more because they don't actually give you a full tank.

Since you filled your own tanks, then wmtire's $1.47 price is closer to what you should have paid. Looks like you paid $2.05 for 11.7 gals. So you still paid almost 40% more than wmtire did.
Rockfordroo, the $2.49 is the refill price per gallon at tractor supply....or about 62-65 cents per pound.

Way cheaper than $1.47 per pound at the exchange.

Just wished I had a nearby Costco to get for under $2 per gallon. rracer5 got his cheaper per pound at Costco than I did at tractor Supply.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I hate it when people don't know the difference between ur and u'r!
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Rockfordroo, the $2.49 is the refill price per gallon at tractor supply....or about 62-65 cents per pound.

Way cheaper than $1.47 per pound at the exchange.

Just wished I had a nearby Costco to get for under $2 per gallon.
I failed to catch the gal vs lbs. So ignore my calculations, but keep my comments regarding increased cost for tank exchanges.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
$2.49/gal. seems a little high right now. Last time I went to Costco (3 weeks ago) propane was $1.97/gal. & that was down $.28 since October. I filled up 1 30 lb tank (7.1 gal.) and topped off another (4.6 gal.) for under $24. Just sayin' that that seems like a pretty big price spread from 2 large chain retailers. I have to go again today so, I'll edit this post once I get back.

OK, I'm back. Couldn't edit above cause time lapse was too long so..... Costco is now $1.89/gal. I got 2 30 lb. & 1 20 lb. tanks filled/topped off. Total of 14.7 gals., $27.84.
Going to be chillier than normal here in Myrtle Beach so, we'll see how long this will last.
__________________

__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"[/I][/B]
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
propane

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 AM.