Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #1

Propane tank cover

I hadn't thought too much about the fact that the cover over the two propane tanks on my TT is not fastened down until I saw a cover laying beside the highway last week. Then I wondered if these covers should be attached in some way. Since my TT is stored in a lot with other TT's I made a quick inspection of the others and found that none of the propane covers seem to be fastened down. I don't see a way to do it, but figured I'd ask the Forum if it is normal for these covers just to slide over the tanks without fastening them down.
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #2

My had two little holes in the bottom and I used a bungee. You could drill a couple small holes and maybe use a bungee as well.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #3

Mine aren't fastened down at all. They fit pretty tight over the tanks though and it takes some effort to pull them off.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:52 PM   #4

Propane cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Mine aren't fastened down at all. They fit pretty tight over the tanks though and it takes some effort to pull them off.
Yeah - that's the same with mine and I've always believed it would stay on but after seeing the one alongside the road, I began to wonder. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2018, 02:03 PM   #5

Last summer when we left on family trip I left the battery box cover off of the battery and drove probably 500 miles like that. When we got to the campground it was still where I placed it. I don't think there a whole lot of wind back there but I suppose anything is possible. If you feel better securing it then go for it.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #6

We used a very long bungee cord looped around the cover during travel... just as a backup. Took if off during storage to minimize deterioration.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #7

They just slide down from the Top side to cover the bottles! The thing I notice most of the time is they are installed "Backwards" 50% of the time! The Top Lid/Door should have the "Hinge to the Front and the Flip up Hold down plastic nuts to the Rear! Otherwise your Lid/Door will be along the Road! Youroo!!
Old 06-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshe1436 View Post
Yeah - that's the same with mine and I've always believed it would stay on but after seeing the one alongside the road, I began to wonder. Thanks!
I owned a TT with 2 large/ HUGE tanks for 7 years. My only concern was taking the cover off when needing to change over tanks or filling the empty tank. In other words, don't be concerned with the possibility of the cover being blown off. It ain't gonna happen!!! EVER!!!
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #9

Propane cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
They just slide down from the Top side to cover the bottles! The thing I notice most of the time is they are installed "Backwards" 50% of the time! The Top Lid/Door should have the "Hinge to the Front and the Flip up Hold down plastic nuts to the Rear! Otherwise your Lid/Door will be along the Road! Youroo!!
I actually lost the lid last February but attributed that to failing to screw down the knurled nuts. I guess I need to turn the cover around since I now have a new lid and a solar battery charger fastened on the lid! BTW the charger is working really great in spite of weeks of rain here in Florida.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
I owned a TT with 2 large/ HUGE tanks for 7 years. My only concern was taking the cover off when needing to change over tanks or filling the empty tank. In other words, don't be concerned with the possibility of the cover being blown off. It ain't gonna happen!!! EVER!!!
Notice the tounge jack, that held the cover very tightly!!Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-06 10.18.54.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	175242
Old 06-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
Notice the tounge jack, that held the cover very tightly!!Attachment 175242
R U kidding!? I couldn’t get past the flooded campground!! Yikes!! I hope the liquid didn’t do serious damage!
Old 06-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #12

When you secure the tanks with the lock down but make sure the bracket used to hold the tanks down is using the outside slots on the tanks. This will push the tanks apart and when you push the cover down it will Hold the cover in place.
NickHeaps819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #13

Quote:
R U kidding!? I couldn’t get past the flooded campground!! Yikes!! I hope the liquid didn’t do serious damage!
Yep, when I saw that pic I forgot what the thread was. Did they use the steps as a diving board? LOL
Gun guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun guy View Post
Yep, when I saw that pic I forgot what the thread was. Did they use the steps as a diving board? LOL
Disregard the temporary flood we had in Charleston, SC back in 2015. The PIC was merely to show the tongue jack that helped the tight fit of the tank cover. The flood was gone the next day after I took the pic for insurance purposes. Everything turned out fine though I had been up to my ass in flood water literally.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhsharonnick View Post
When you secure the tanks with the lock down but make sure the bracket used to hold the tanks down is using the outside slots on the tanks. This will push the tanks apart and when you push the cover down it will Hold the cover in place.
Exactly.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhsharonnick View Post
Interesting but doesn’t that tip the tanks so the tank bottoms are not sitting even on the platform? I understand what you are saying and will see how that works. Sounds like a really good way to secure the cover! Thanks!
Old 06-09-2018, 08:04 PM   #17

No. You place the tanks so they lay flat on the tray. This puts the tanks out so the whole side of both tanks holds the cover on.
NickHeaps819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #18
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerfor2 View Post
My had two little holes in the bottom and I used a bungee. [...]
Mine does too. During my walkthrough with the dealer, I asked for a bungee and he just gave me one. It's pretty small, but tight. My propane cover is pretty hard to remove, due to frictional clearance around the jacks and such. However, freeway wind is pretty powerful. I like having the bungee in place.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:45 AM   #19

Quote:
I actually lost the lid last February but attributed that to failing to screw down the knurled nuts. I guess I need to turn the cover around since I now have a new lid and a solar battery charger fastened on the lid! BTW the charger is working really great in spite of weeks of rain here in Florida.

I drilled a hole on either side of the main unit and on either side of the flap and ran a small cable tie through to hold on to it if the hinges fail or ?
This was after losing 2 flaps [emoji51]
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffywhitedogs View Post
I drilled a hole on either side of the main unit and on either side of the flap and ran a small cable tie through to hold on to it if the hinges fail or ?
This was after losing 2 flaps [emoji51]
Great suggestion -- thanks!

Tags
cover, propane, tank