Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2017, 06:52 PM   #41
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
The only problem with the 20 pounder swap-out is outfits like Blue Rhino only give you 13 lbs of propane. Check the plastic wrap label next time and you'll see. Good in a pinch, but expensive in the long run.
Thirteen pounds in a twenty pound cylinder, now?!?! Have they no shame?

The sad part is they are telling us that it's "for your safety"! What a joke!

Almost as sad is that a HUGE segment of the RVers out here don't understand a thing about this whole subject, and yet spout half-truths, old wives' tales, and even patently false information, thinking they are in-the-know.

I try to make it a point to say nothing about things I know nothing about.

Wish everyone did, but it's the interwebs.

'Nuff said....

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:41 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by flovern View Post
There is a difference in propane containers. Class A and C MHs usually have "tanks" which are permanently mounted. Other RVs usually have portable "bottles". I believe bottles have a 10 year recertification, and tanks are many years longer.

Floyd

2011 Coachmen Sportscoach Crosscountry
We can't forget about "Cylinders-metal containers for gases stored under high pressure"! Youroo!!
Old 10-31-2017, 08:42 PM   #43

I think it's funny that a lp tank only needs a visual inspection yet a fire extinguisher needs a hydro test as well as many other tanks
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:58 PM   #44
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkjr72 View Post
I think it's funny that a lp tank only needs a visual inspection yet a fire extinguisher needs a hydro test as well as many other tanks
Think about the construction and abuse a portable cylinder takes compared to a permanent mouned thick wall construction enclosed pressure vessel and it's no surprise.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:48 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Think about the construction and abuse a portable cylinder takes compared to a permanent mouned thick wall construction enclosed pressure vessel and it's no surprise.
I'm talking about 20lb and 30lb portable lp tanks the permanent mount tanks don't need the recertification. How much abuse do you think that fire extinguisher that hangs on the wall takes compared to a 20 lb tank that gets town in the car to get refilled sits out in the weather year round under a grill or or even on a camper that gets drug around because it's being used to fuel a hog torch or portable heater

Have you seen the tanks people try to exchange or a tank that a farmer uses its not pretty
Old 11-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #46
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkjr72 View Post
I'm talking about 20lb and 30lb portable lp tanks the permanent mount tanks don't need the recertification. How much abuse do you think that fire extinguisher that hangs on the wall takes compared to a 20 lb tank that gets town in the car to get refilled sits out in the weather year round under a grill or or even on a camper that gets drug around because it's being used to fuel a hog torch or portable heater

Have you seen the tanks people try to exchange or a tank that a farmer uses its not pretty
Yes I have seen some abused propane cylinders. My experience with fire extinguishers differ than yours. In a fleet commercial atmosphere they get thrown around quite often.
The other importance is extinguishers potentially can save lives and property. A certified inspection can't hurt.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #47

A fire extinguisher should have a visual monthly then a slightly more in depth mostly visual yearly then every 5 to 6 years a very through inspection and every 10 to 12 years a hydro test

Besides the one mounted in my truck I do yearly inspections at about 20 retail locations I don't deal with our fleet ones but they all should be securely mounted

With an lp tank the visual is just hoping to catch an issue where a hydro will make a potential issue fail

Tags
propane, tank