Old 09-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #1
RV Buff
Propane Use While Driving

Question: Is it safe to operate the refrigerator in a TT on propane while travelling? I have two concerns: 1. The risk of a gas leak inside the trailer. 2. In case of accident, the gas line could rupture. I have friends who do this, but it seems unsafe to me.

RVBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #2
Site Team
Originally Posted by RVBuff View Post
Question: Is it safe to operate the refrigerator in a TT on propane while travelling? I have two concerns: 1. The risk of a gas leak inside the trailer. 2. In case of accident, the gas line could rupture. I have friends who do this, but it seems unsafe to me.
Buff, do a search for same. This "argument" is one of the top 3-4 arguments that are volleyed back and forth every month. I travel with mine on... always have. Others do not. Some quote laws for their state, county, city, province, municipality and apply them to all of us.

SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 74 (booked = 11)
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:56 AM   #3

Good question. I have seen this discussed (briefly) in other threads.

I have read that 'if' the fridge is down to it's operating temperatures is should be good for 2 hrs turned off, depending on outside temperatures of course .

However, I do believe there are laws in some states and provinces not allowing it.

Also, I have seen first hand more than 1 RV over to the side of the highway with firetrucks attending to a burned out wall section where the fridge is located.
I suspect that the extra draft from travel may make the flame burn radically and cause extra heat ....not sure.
Now having said that, I always make sure that the pilot flame is burning a nice 'blue' color and I "do" travel with the fridge on with propane...checking it whenever we stop/pullover. I know several other RV'ers that do the same.

I'm sure you will hear from other seasoned travellers on this topic.

Hope this helps

'07 WildCat 30 RLBS ~ West Coast Edition ~
Trail Air - Tri Glide Pin Box
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 Diesel Lariat 89k miles
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
Last jaunt was 3 hours with propane turned off in +80 temp.. When we got home a gallon of icecream in the freezer was still solid as a rock.
I always travel w/ propane turned off. A reason not often mentioned is that RV fridges are meant to be used only when fairly level and significant damage can occur if slanted. Where I live its fairly level, but our destinations are most often mountainous.
2015 Shamrock 231KSS, Oyster shell
2016 Chev Silverado LT Z71 Ext. Cab, 4x4, 5.3L V/8
Reese Straight Line WDH, 2000W Honda Gen.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping in 2015, 45 in 2016
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:36 AM   #5
My fridge is on the curb side so when moving down the road it is fairly level from side to side.

On long trips the fridge is on gas and keeping cool as it is on short trips.
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:45 AM   #6
I always run our fridge on propane. Just ran it on propane on a 7 1/2 hr. trip and fridge was 34 degrees when we got there.
I do know you should turn it off if going thru tunnels, State law.
2014 Palomino Columbus 3650TH
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
Heh, yep- highly contested topic. Each side has wild rhetoric as to why they're right and the other side is wrong. The threads usually end up running a couple of hundred posts long with no change in anyone's opinions. Good times.

Longest story shortest- do what you think is right for you and don't worry about your neighbor.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #8
Agreed but you can always look in to what the manufacture says and they state that the fridge can run while driving.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #9
When we had a travel trailer and then 5th wheel. We always travelled with the propane on and the fridge running. Now that we have a Motorhome. We travel with the propane off but the generator running for the fridge, satellite tv, etc.

jgallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #10
I have in our previously-owned RVs (our Berkshire is our fourth motorhome) and would travel with the gas on if I could. The pilot refuses to stay lit when we're underway. I've tried different types of baffles w/o success. In future, I'm thinking of running an extension cord from the refrigerator compartment to the inverter.

helferdm is offline   Reply With Quote