Old 04-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #21
Send a message via Skype™ to Boots49
If you have no chance of avoiding a large animal hit it in the rear, that way you will turn it away from you, if you hit it in the centre it will come through your windshield. I guess if you try to hit it in the front, there is a chance that it might move forward & you will end up hitting it in the centre. Best not to hit it at all. Drive safe, drive slow, keep your eyes open, you never know what is around the next corner.

Al & Susanne
Aka: Puss 'n Boots
Wildcat 31 TS - Silverado 2500 DuraMax Diesel
Tip of the Day: Stay safe, have fun and never leave the cat out in the rain!
Boots49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:30 PM   #22
Site Team
I used to use deer whistles. I saw far more deer dart out in front of Me with the whistles than without. I had a deer dart out in front of me with my Durango when I had the whistles, almost totaled the Durango as a result of the hit. I haven't run deer whistles since and I see a lot less deer in the road.

I too use my brights as often as possible and keep my eyes scanning for animal eyes reflecting in the dark. I also drive several cars in front of me (yes I pay attention to the ones in front of me).

I hate hitting animals but if it's me or them.... they get hit and I say a little prayer for them. Sudden swerving at highway speed with a trailer can be disastrous. Changing lanes and a controlled quick stop are the best best depending on situation. Just remember.... don't brace on impact. Bracing or tensing up results in more injuries than staying loose and relaxed. That is why drunk drivers tend to suffer less injuries in accidents.

<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:03 AM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Just keep going and prepare for collision
Scott & Vicki
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax/Allison
2013 Columbus 295RL
Camped 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016, Camped 69 nights, 25 Nights Reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:18 AM   #24
Originally Posted by mbuk2 View Post
During the rut they dont hear anything. Also I have found the deer whistles are ineffective when they are clogged with deer fur.

Back in the mid-90s, a local news station did some testing, talked to some "experts", and reported them useless. Don't know how scientific they were about it, but it was enough for me to not use them any longer.

Originally Posted by SYE View Post
Just keep going and prepare for collision

This. I sadly lost a coworker years ago because he tried to swerve to miss a deer in his shiny new 'vette.

In my car and especially in my truck, I'm going through whatever is in front of me and I'll deal with the repercussions later. Hopefully there is time to slow down or stop safely, but I'm not going all emergency stop for an animal.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:00 AM   #25
I have seen several times Deer running back away from the HWY when I laid on my horn !!! I think it only works when they are trying to decide weather they want to cross or not !!! I gave up on Deer Whistles years ago !!! Most newer cars don't have a good place for them !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:40 AM   #26
Animals are like anything else on my side of road. If I see the animals in time I am going to slow down but not swerve to miss them. If you swerve to miss the animal and hit the ditch, number 1 you may hurt yourself and number 2 when the police get there you will probably get a ticket for making a unsafe movement. If it's on my side of the road the evidence will be there when the police get there. Same thing with a car on my side of road the evidence will be there when the police get there. I'll try to slow down but I'm staying on my side. Swerve to miss something and hit the ditch and wind up hurt, DW is on the right and may have been asleep, truck and camper tore up and what you tried to miss is gone. Police get there and you most likely have a ticket

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #27
Something I forgot to mention. I try to hedge my bets with lane placement. You very rarely will see me cruising along in the right lane, if it's three lanes I'm in the middle, if it's two lanes with light traffic I'm in the left lane and I move right once traffic gets to me.

That evens out the chances I'll see something ahead and have time to react. There's usually more room on the left to scan ahead and I improve the amount of room on my right. Not perfect, but at least it makes me feel better.
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #28
Two classifications for animals: squishables and non-squishables...avoid accordingly if possible.

If traveling at night, make sure to lower your speed and watch for those shiny diamonds on the side of the road.
2016 Microlite 21DS
2014 Ram 1500 QC 6 cyl. 8 spd.
Blue Ox SwayPro
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #29
Originally Posted by szabla View Post
I been on here a short time and have read a few of the threads, such as how fast do you tow.
I know that professional drivers know this answer, but do the weekend camps know it.
What do you do when a large animal such as elk, deer, moose, bear, hog (not the bikers) runs/walks into your path while towing your vehicle on a highway?
"Hint" I have a Ranch Hand on my truck (not the farm worker).
I drove LARGE vehicles professionally for over 30 years. NEVER swerve to avoid hitting an animal when driving or towing a heavy vehicle. That would put human lives in jeopardy. If you have time to slow your vehicle do so in a way you keep full control. Human lives come first, property comes second and animal safety is somewhere down the list.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.

2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Wildwood X-Lite 241QBXL
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:53 PM   #30
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
Two classifications for animals: squishables and non-squishables...avoid accordingly if possible.

If traveling at night, make sure to lower your speed and watch for those shiny diamonds on the side of the road.
It's like driving on ice. No sudden moves. Best to be alert at all times, and also have passengers alert as well. With kids you can make it a game. Also if there are cars up ahead, watch for brake lights coming on. Deer very seldom are alone, so if you see one, watch for the others following behind. With deer, skunks, raccoon, fox, coyote, bobcat, and domestics you will see the reflection of your headlights. Moose don't reflect... at all. If you driving along on or about dusk or dawn and you see a "blacker" patch of dark up ahead....that's a moose.

dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote