Old 04-14-2016, 07:57 AM   #31

Quote:
Something I forgot to mention. I try to hedge my bets with lane placement. You very rarely will see me cruising along in the right lane, if it's three lanes I'm in the middle, if it's two lanes with light traffic I'm in the left lane and I move right once traffic gets to me.

That evens out the chances I'll see something ahead and have time to react. There's usually more room on the left to scan ahead and I improve the amount of room on my right. Not perfect, but at least it makes me feel better.
In Colorado you will get a ticket for driving in the left lane too long. You are required to stay in the left lane unless you are passing or the traffic will not allow you to move over.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabla View Post
In Colorado you will get a ticket for driving in the left lane too long. You are required to stay in the left lane unless you are passing or the traffic will not allow you to move over.
They call them Left Lane Hogs,,, they say they are going to start ticketing them here is Michigan,,, changing lanes is not always the safest thing to be doing !!!

Old 04-14-2016, 08:19 AM   #33

Interesting study

www.deercrash.org/Toolbox/CMToolboxWhistles.pdf

One thing I have always been told is that since deer have fantastic hearing, they will also hear the vehicle coming about the same time they would hear the whistle.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:42 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
They call them Left Lane Hogs,,, they say they are going to start ticketing them here is Michigan,,, changing lanes is not always the safest thing to be doing !!!
Yes I wish they would do he same here. We got people and since we are close to the border from both Michigan and Ontario that decide this is my favorite lane and I am going to stay here. It's the law that slower traffic stays right. If everyone would follow the rules the traffic would flow a lot smoother.

As for braking. The last close call I had will towing was 2 moose. I was not going to hit them. So we hit the binders and locked up all eight wheels. A glance in the mirror to make sure no body was going to plow into my trailer. They later crossed the median and forced a fed ex truck with 2 trailers do the same.
I was impressed the truck and trailer slid straight on a wet road. The last time I had to do that 15 years ago with a different truck and trailer it started to jack knife and had to let off on the brakes and hit the manual trailer brake which jerked us straight and helped us avoid a collision.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #35

The left lane is usually smoother than the right !!!
Canadiancrew,,, did you have to change shorts after your close call ???
Old 04-18-2016, 08:31 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
The left lane is usually smoother than the right !!!
Canadiancrew,,, did you have to change shorts after your close call ???
Yes the left lane has less heaved expansion joints and I have used it wit hthe trailer. I usually watch the mirrors and pull right at times to lets the cars go by.

And yes I did need a clean pair of shorts. Would have ruined a good vacation. About 2000 miles from home at the time too.

Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote