Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #1

Pulling 27' Salem with Ford Explorer

I am pulling a 27' Salem BHSS 2008 with my 2001 Ford Explorer V-8 5.0 liter Eddie Bauer Edition. Tow capacity on this vehicle is 6700lbs. I have a prodigy brake controller and load equalizer trail hitch. Anyone else tow a trailor this size with much luck? I took it for the first time to Itasca State Park in MN, which is about a 3.5 hour drive from the twin cities and I got about 9 miles to the gallon.
JJSCHWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #2

Honestly I would never consider this size trailer to be pulled by your Explorer, in your case you will be overweight, and over suggested length for the wheelbase of your tow vehicle, the dry weight of a base model is over 6000 lbs, which does not include options like airconditioner, water, camping supplies, lawn chairs, coolers etc. Now for the vehicle, 6700 lbs is again for an unloaded vehicle without fuel or passengers. Power train is only a small portion of your issues, rather handling and overall capabilities of your tow vehicle are grossly overloaded.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #3

In addition to what Flyrotor said, I will add what I always tell those wanting to tow with an SUV. The designers build them with a soft ride in mind, not heavy duty towing. To that end the springs rates and shock valving is made for comfort not towing. Add to that the fact that many manufacturers put "car" tires on their SUVs not light truck tires "LT" and you have a very bad combination.

Remember the little problem with Explorers blowing tires and rolling over some time ago? This wasn't the tires fault, it was Ford's for putting car tires on what amounts to be a portly overweight truck that people then proceed to over load with people, gear, etc. etc. but I digress.

As Flyrotor so best put it, engine size is not the entire story in towing. There was a link put here by someone that was for a "towing calculator" which allowed you to put in all the variables for your TT and TV and using an 80% of max tow capacity safety margin, would tell you if your setup is safe. Very good site. Hopefully they can repost the link.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
There was a link put here by someone that was for a "towing calculator" which allowed you to put in all the variables for your TT and TV and using an 80% of max tow capacity safety margin, would tell you if your setup is safe. Very good site. Hopefully they can repost the link.
Here ya go!

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ator-5009.html

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #5

Tell the wife we all said you HAVE TO get a new 2500 truck...."safety first honey !"

;-)

2006 Avalanche 1500 w/6" lift
2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/4" lift
2008 Salem 26TBSS
P3 Controller
4 lil' ones & a Hottie for a wife
TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSoftballDad View Post
Tell the wife we all said you HAVE TO get a new 2500 truck...."safety first honey !"

;-)
Hmmmm, I like where your goin' with this!
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:11 AM   #7

There is no way I would pull that size TT with the SUV you have. Safty, wear and tear on the SUV and just the thought of having to stop it going down a hill is too much. Get a bigger truck is my advice.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #8

Width is also an issue, as I recently found out while I was "forced" to tow my V lite 30 footer with my Durango.(Dakota frame) A LOT of side to side tail wagging after 55, and you could feel the softness mentioned earlier, as well. The Durango has the same drivetrain as my Ram, right down to the 3:54 (narrower) rear, but it's on coil instead of leaf springs. I was sweating bullets pulling with this. Plenty of power, but suspension was a no-go. I do however think that a Suburban or a Expedition would be much better- a full framed vehicle with enough length and width to do the job.
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #9

OK, I got it, bad idea... I am really working on this issue with my wife right now. What to you all say about the newer Ford Expeditions, say a 2005 or greater. Obviously the V-8, 5.4 liter.. they have a tow capacity of around 8900lbs. I think I would be good to go there! what do you all think about that for a tow vehicle... My wife really does not want a truck, becuase this vehicle also has to double as a family truckster, trips to soccer practice, the cabin, a bunch of friends. etc... I think I am excited about the new expeditions. this could be the perfect vehicle!
Old 05-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #10

If ya can't have a truck, then that would definitely be much better. Wider and longer chassis, and more than likely a trans. cooler and HD radiator, at least. Your'e still gonna have some squishy suspension, however. Maybe that can be beefed up, with aftermarket parts. Good luck, Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #11

no aftermarket anything, Can it, will it, be safe enough to pull my camper and family of 4....for the 4 times I use it in MN a year. I have the Load Equalizer hitch and prodigy brake controler. Will the 2005 or greater V-8 5.4 liter expedition handle itself and the 27' Salem Camper I have. Which has a stickered weight of like 5800lbs.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #12

towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSCHWI View Post
OK, I got it, bad idea... I am really working on this issue with my wife right now. What to you all say about the newer Ford Expeditions, say a 2005 or greater. Obviously the V-8, 5.4 liter.. they have a tow capacity of around 8900lbs. I think I would be good to go there! what do you all think about that for a tow vehicle... My wife really does not want a truck, becuase this vehicle also has to double as a family truckster, trips to soccer practice, the cabin, a bunch of friends. etc... I think I am excited about the new expeditions. this could be the perfect vehicle!
Greetings JJSCHWI, I think Flyrotor "hit the nail".....Really do some numbers comparisons before you buy, and have plenty of wiggle room in your towing capacity on your tow vehicle. Check your "UVW" on your trailer its usually located in the kitchen cabinet on older models and on the entry door on some newer models. And i'd also look into "Excursion" if the Expedition doesn't come in anything larger than 5.4 (that will give you room for some hills and stuff if you tow frequently)
cthelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
no aftermarket anything, Can it, will it, be safe enough to pull my camper and family of 4....for the 4 times I use it in MN a year. I have the Load Equalizer hitch and prodigy brake controler. Will the 2005 or greater V-8 5.4 liter expedition handle itself and the 27' Salem Camper I have. Which has a stickered weight of like 5800lbs.
I don't think anyone here can answer that question. We can't say any vehicle pulling a trailer is as safe as can be.....there are just too many variables. Someone might pull that trailer for years with an Explorer without a problem, and the 1st time it is hooked up to a Excursion there might be something that happens. Overall, an Excursion would tow better than an Expedition, and that would tow better than an Explorer. Longer wheelbases, sturdier frames, bigger brakes and engines make for better towing. That is not to say that an Explorer is not safe......but it is probably not as safe as a bigger vehicle with beefier suspension and drive train parts.

I don't think anyone here wants to give you the run-around. It is just impossible to answer a question like that. Each member tries to give you his/her best guess reasoning to the questions, but just can't say you are perfectly safe with any particular setup.

As far as power with the Expy and the 5.4 L V8.......that is probably the same drive train that have in my 2006 F150, and it does a great job pulling my 5500 lb. trailer. I also have the 3.73 final gear ratio.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #14

Quote:
OK, I got it, bad idea... I am really working on this issue with my wife right now. What to you all say about the newer Ford Expeditions, say a 2005 or greater. Obviously the V-8, 5.4 liter.. they have a tow capacity of around 8900lbs. I think I would be good to go there!
Just glad to see that you are open to our suggestions, often times we see new posts similar to this, followed by several comments like you see here, then the original poster gets defensive and offended.

The Explorer - no way, the Expedition would probably work for you with your stated usage as a tow vehicle, the Excursion - no problem, but you have to do what fits your budget, personally I have a Suburban pulling my 23' trailer and would not want to pull my trailer with a Tahoe (same drive train, shorter wheelbase).

I come from a history (through the 1990's) of pulling heavy utility trailers with a 1 ton dodge cummins, so everything I try to pull is always compared to the cummins set-up. Even then, the early 90's dodges had tons of torque and horsepower, but we broke tranny's and rear ends, not to mention the brake pads and rotor wear with constantly pulling loads of 10-12,000 lbs on a daily basis.

Thanks for thinking positive with our suggestions, we are only looking out for you cause you came to us for advice.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #15

I too used to tow my 26 footer with a 1500 Suburban (and the 1500 Avalanche). Both got the job "done", but it was appearent early that the heavier suspension, trans cooler, power, etc was needed. The difference was night and day once I made the switch to the 2500 Suburban. Sure...most of the time the Suburban is used as a kid bus; going to games, school, store, and the MPG is less, but the safety during those trips with the trailer is well worth it. To be honest, once I started looking and took my time shopping, I ended up with the 2500 for the same payment as the 1500 !!

2006 Avalanche 1500 w/6" lift
2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/4" lift
2008 Salem 26TBSS
P3 Controller
4 lil' ones & a Hottie for a wife
TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #16

These guys are the best in the business. They work with OEM's to develop tis type of thing.
Hitches and Fifth Wheel products by Dan's Service Center
Up the river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #17

SOunds a little long for the explorer wheel base, make sure you have a good eq hitch and brake control!
commander ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #18

FWIW, I towed an Award 727 (27' ball to bumper) 5000lbs loaded with a 95 4dr Explorer with the 4.0L and 3.73 gears. I had LT tires installed before I towed with it. the Explorer did just fine here around the flat lands. I don`t think I would have taken it to the hills or mountains though, unless it had the 5.0L. properly setup the Explorer will tow just fine.

With that said.....even though you have the V-8 you will be pushing the Exploerer. go with the Expedition you will be much happier and you will want to take longer trips!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote