Old 05-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #1

Pulling 27' Salem with Ford Explorer

I am pulling a 27' Salem BHSS 2008 with my 2001 Ford Explorer V-8 5.0 liter Eddie Bauer Edition. Tow capacity on this vehicle is 6700lbs. I have a prodigy brake controller and load equalizer trail hitch. Anyone else tow a trailor this size with much luck? I took it for the first time to Itasca State Park in MN, which is about a 3.5 hour drive from the twin cities and I got about 9 miles to the gallon.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #2

Honestly I would never consider this size trailer to be pulled by your Explorer, in your case you will be overweight, and over suggested length for the wheelbase of your tow vehicle, the dry weight of a base model is over 6000 lbs, which does not include options like airconditioner, water, camping supplies, lawn chairs, coolers etc. Now for the vehicle, 6700 lbs is again for an unloaded vehicle without fuel or passengers. Power train is only a small portion of your issues, rather handling and overall capabilities of your tow vehicle are grossly overloaded.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #3

In addition to what Flyrotor said, I will add what I always tell those wanting to tow with an SUV. The designers build them with a soft ride in mind, not heavy duty towing. To that end the springs rates and shock valving is made for comfort not towing. Add to that the fact that many manufacturers put "car" tires on their SUVs not light truck tires "LT" and you have a very bad combination.

Remember the little problem with Explorers blowing tires and rolling over some time ago? This wasn't the tires fault, it was Ford's for putting car tires on what amounts to be a portly overweight truck that people then proceed to over load with people, gear, etc. etc. but I digress.

As Flyrotor so best put it, engine size is not the entire story in towing. There was a link put here by someone that was for a "towing calculator" which allowed you to put in all the variables for your TT and TV and using an 80% of max tow capacity safety margin, would tell you if your setup is safe. Very good site. Hopefully they can repost the link.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
There was a link put here by someone that was for a "towing calculator" which allowed you to put in all the variables for your TT and TV and using an 80% of max tow capacity safety margin, would tell you if your setup is safe. Very good site. Hopefully they can repost the link.
Here ya go!

Towing Calculator

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #5

Tell the wife we all said you HAVE TO get a new 2500 truck...."safety first honey !"

;-)

2006 Avalanche 1500 w/6" lift
2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/4" lift
2008 Salem 26TBSS
P3 Controller
4 lil' ones & a Hottie for a wife
TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSoftballDad View Post
Tell the wife we all said you HAVE TO get a new 2500 truck...."safety first honey !"

;-)
Hmmmm, I like where your goin' with this!
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:11 AM   #7

There is no way I would pull that size TT with the SUV you have. Safty, wear and tear on the SUV and just the thought of having to stop it going down a hill is too much. Get a bigger truck is my advice.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #8

Width is also an issue, as I recently found out while I was "forced" to tow my V lite 30 footer with my Durango.(Dakota frame) A LOT of side to side tail wagging after 55, and you could feel the softness mentioned earlier, as well. The Durango has the same drivetrain as my Ram, right down to the 3:54 (narrower) rear, but it's on coil instead of leaf springs. I was sweating bullets pulling with this. Plenty of power, but suspension was a no-go. I do however think that a Suburban or a Expedition would be much better- a full framed vehicle with enough length and width to do the job.
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #9

OK, I got it, bad idea... I am really working on this issue with my wife right now. What to you all say about the newer Ford Expeditions, say a 2005 or greater. Obviously the V-8, 5.4 liter.. they have a tow capacity of around 8900lbs. I think I would be good to go there! what do you all think about that for a tow vehicle... My wife really does not want a truck, becuase this vehicle also has to double as a family truckster, trips to soccer practice, the cabin, a bunch of friends. etc... I think I am excited about the new expeditions. this could be the perfect vehicle!
Old 05-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #10

If ya can't have a truck, then that would definitely be much better. Wider and longer chassis, and more than likely a trans. cooler and HD radiator, at least. Your'e still gonna have some squishy suspension, however. Maybe that can be beefed up, with aftermarket parts. Good luck, Randy

Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote