Old 05-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
I normally carry about 5 gallons of water in the tank. Enough for a few flushes and hand-washes, and enough to refill a radiator, if needed.

Since alcohol weighs only about 7.5 pounds per gallon, while water weighs 8.3. I find it much more economical to haul alcohol!!!

Fire Instructor

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
we camp at race tracks alot, no source of water when we get there so I fill mine before we leave. We travelled 150 miles last weekend without issues. Last fall I went to Loudon New hampshire which is 500 miles one way and had the tank full on the way down, without issues.

2011 32ckds Shasta Revere
2009 Dodge Ram 1500slt
Moncton New Brunswick Canada
racer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
Mod free 5er
If you are worried about it, put about 1/4 tank in at home and when you get to within a few miles of your destination, pull into a gas station and fill there. I would get permission from the attendant. If a gas station is not available a motel, etc. Heck, you could even stop at someone's house, I can't believe anyone would refuse someone water.
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
now you got me wondering. Going to the NASCAR race in NH in July. No water on site and generator power. Fill or not to fill that is the question. 9 hour drive = a lot of gas used.
2009 Heartland Sundance 31.5 XLT bunkhouse
2013 Ford F150 XTR ECOBOOST

"Of the troops - For the troops "
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #15
When we travelled 10 hours last year we used a gas station water hydrant when we were nearly there. I called the DOT asking about water at rest stops and they acted like they'd heard this before and pointed me to the gas station. I don't like towing with water as it's all in the back and takes weight off the pin.
2004 Wildcat 28BH
2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7CTD
fast murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #16
i ran dry on the fresh water for years. or just enough to flush the toilet and wash my hands while between campgrounds. abt 5 yrs ago, i stayed in a campground that had full hookups. we went to a local restaurant and when we returned, the campground had lost the well. now i travel with abt 1/4 to 1/2.
you will never see the extra weight when towing ie it doesn't degrade mileage or performance. percentage wise, it is an extremely small part of the total weight. at least in my case, i see no difference. (wind load has more effect on me).
as far as the supports, i will leave that up to those above that have first hand knowledge of how strong the tanks are and how well they are supported. that probably varies from trailer to trailer.

i don't see a problem with carrying water.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
We travel with our fresh water tank filled most of the time heading off from home. Having it full or empty tows better than 1/2 full as it can slosh around. Maybe not a huge issue, but I know some that disslike the feeling.

We also sometimes wait between weekends to dump as the 2 of us don't fill the black or grey tanks after a couple nights.

With that said, I do know 1 person that had their fresh water tank brackets break after going over some serious bumps. The tank fell onto the trailer axle and bent it. The trailer was still towable, but they required a new trailer axle and new tank brackets. The incident which caused the damage was not typical and also caused damage to the rear frame skid plates (those metal triangle things), but I do not know what places you're taking your trailer. This was not a Forest River Product.

The water tank straps may be small, BUT, the idea that the straps are not designed to carry the load while towing is not true. Other than GVWR concerns of the trailer and ratings of the TV, There is nothing in the user manual that I am aware or warranty coverage that suggests that you can not carry water while towing - in the fresh water, grey water, or black water tanks.

YMMV but to me the whole idea and purpose of an RV, whether it's a trailer to a Class A is to get out there and camp. You're not forced to go to campgrounds with water and dump stations. You may need to take your water with you and bring your poo back. Just sayin'
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #18
Mod free 5er
I agree with you SCOC, if the trailers and tanks were not designed to be used to their capacity, what good are they? It may increase the total load with all the tanks full, but I doubt if it affects mileage much over 1mpg. Do I do it? NO, but if I were going to a cg with no water available, I would fill it to the inlet and not worry about it. If the tank falls out, FR can fix it under warranty. If it is out of warranty, I'll fix it so it won't happen again and still enjoy camping. Life is too short to have to worry about putting an extra 100-400 pds in the trailer.

Bottom line, do what you feel comfortable with and enjoy your camper, that's why you bought it!
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #19
As far as the slouching around when the tanks are half full if it was a big problem then you would think the maunf. would put baffled water tanks in.

2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2004 F-150 4.6 Liter 4x2 Factory Tow Package
2012 - 21 Nights Camped
2013 - 21 Nights Camped
wolfpack21643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #20
Originally Posted by pchrcane65 View Post
Blake I have a forest river patriot edition 29bh and pull it with a 2008 chevy 1/2 ton crew cab has the tow package.And mtnguy yes the barley is recommended
You should be fine towing w/tanks full as long as your not overweight on the truck

TT = 2014 Palomino Solaire Eclipse 318TSBHK
TV = 2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4L V8
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 3yo DD (Riley), another DD cookin (Kennedy)
Security: 5yo Boxer (Sasha), 14yo yorkie (Porter)...he was married in
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote