Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #1

Purchasing in 30 days. FR? LOL

It is any manufacturers responsibility to ensure their products are safe. Also, if they have any common sense they should put out quality products. After reading posts about increasing problems, especially the "bunk collapse" one, I have made a decision. I believe the best way to send a message is with your wallet. Therefore, I will not be spending my money on a Forest River product again.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:17 AM   #2

Curious if you've found another manufacturer at a similar price point whose quality you've deemed higher.

Please share more info.

This forum is a place to help other solve problems, so you'll see a lot more problems than, "everything worked again this trip". I assumed other forums for other manufacturers would have a similar vibe.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:45 AM   #3

this is an interesting post in that while FR has issues, i don't really think anyone else is better unless you go high end.

Good luck with what ever you end up but by all accounts, i believe that its an industry wide issue not just FR
Old 02-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #4

Let us know when you find a manufacturer that meets your expectation. We all will be trading are junk if for high quality units. We will most likely be in debt for the rest of our lives but hey, It's only money right?
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
It is any manufacturers responsibility to ensure their products are safe. Also, if they have any common sense they should put out quality products. After reading posts about increasing problems, especially the "bunk collapse" one, I have made a decision. I believe the best way to send a message is with your wallet. Therefore, I will not be spending my money on a Forest River product again.

My Cedar Creek is a 15 year model and the factory still pays for a few items, let me know what brand and model you decide on. I’ll probably look
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
My Cedar Creek is a 15 year model and the factory still pays for a few items, let me know what brand and model you decide on. I’ll probably look
X2, but my unit is a 2016. I just had the front and rear end caps painted by a body shop authorized by Forest River at their cost.

I had a 2010 Keystone Cougar and could not even get them to talk to me about my issue with the trailer.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #7

Cool purchasing in 30 days

ALL new RV's have issues of some sort. Just too many individual items for everything to work right out of the box.
That said, we have a Forest River Berk, 400QL, and after the initial "tweaking" of items, (By myself, not to dealer), everything has worked wonderfully since the fixes. We bought it new in 2015.
No matter what you buy, expect a few glitches.
2corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:00 PM   #8

A Great FR experience

We purchased our 2511 Rockwood Mini Lite in May 2018. We love it and really appreciate the quality product and experience with had with our local dealer. Prior to our purchase we spent 6 to 9 months looking at what was available. We looked at lots of SOB's and were shocked by the shoddy workmanship. We are very pleased with our Rockwood and wish you luck in finding that perfect RV.
Iowa City Fix It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
Yes there is ... they are all as good as any major car/truck maker ... TV maker... Washer Dyer ... Frig ... Home builder... Lawn Man ... Pool Service ... and any other service provider/product manufacturer out there ... Recalls yes my new 2119 Ram has 2 recalls already ... my Honda Van 3 recalls ... 1 Sony TV that they replaced at cost even though it was 5 years out of warranty ... and many more issues that have been fixed .... do the research pick the product and throw the dice .... spend your dollars as you see fit and I wish you the best of Luck
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
this is an interesting post in that while FR has issues, i don't really think anyone else is better unless you go high end.

Good luck with what ever you end up but by all accounts, i believe that its an industry wide issue not just FR
Higher end are not flawless either. I have read and heard many NASCAR guys talking about their buses going for warranty and other repairs. Seems like this time of year, when they are out west, I hear and see those comments. I know they all do not own Prevost Buses but Prevost has 4 service centers between Texas and California.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:49 PM   #11

Since I have not been involved in Camping or with Campers in any long term, I can't speak negative or positive, but am very interested in this topic and the outcome.

Please, BrewHead, keep me/us posted. Thank-you!
The more you spend does not always guarantee the best results.
Good Luck!
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:03 PM   #12

Brew,,, Dealership is everything!! Alot of bad ones out there,,,but some good ones. Read their reviews,,,all of them good and bad. A good dealer will get stuff fixed for you. As spoken on here from others,,seems all TTs need tweaking here and there. It pays to be a bit of a handiman too. Truth is the good quality TTs (if you find one) are way more money. Keep shopping,,,keep us informed.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:29 PM   #13

Manf are about all the same. Look around Indiana... they are mostly FR or FR owned, controlled or a sub company. They are all cost cutting where they can, producing as fast as they can... in an industry that have the same oversight, rules, requirements as others. Yes OSHA has power to fine, but RV industry is a whole different sport.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #14

New FR owner

Hey all! We purchased a new 2019 Cherokee 234VFK. (Kitchen in the front, V shaped). This is our third RV. My dealer was Bill Eads, Sacramento area. They have been terrific!
We have been out 10 days thus far, and no major issues. Items to improve/adjust? Sure, i.e. the support board under the bed was stapled, not bolted. It began to separate. A few carriage bolts later, and its fine!
I have read a few stories on the forums, but I am satisfied with the overall quality for price paid. Will there be a few that slip through, sure. Even the big three auto makers acknowledge errors can occur.
Don't let that stop the fun! IMO, research, walk through, ask questions and buy what fits.

RennzFR
2019 Cherokee 234VFK

TV-my poor old Expedition
Rennzfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:11 PM   #15

My neighbor retired from Airsteam. He said no way he would buy one after working on the line and then being manager. he has a Jayco. He also has issues with it... Just saying
seizethebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #16

Well I have a new 2898KS on the way and when it gets here and I plan to enjoy it. I will ask many questions and ask for demos during the PDI. I expect some issues and will hope for the best . My brother in law picked up new Jayco 5th and had 14 items on the PDI he said they fixed them all. I did a lot of research before we ordered this one I guess a some point you have to get in the water!!
Old 02-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #17
MCTroy

Simply put, we have had 2 FR products. Both have been great. We love our Windjammer. Someone offered to buy it from us again this week and we said no way. Our friends are trying to purchase SOB and they have been lied to twice by the FACTORY REP - not the dealership! Buy the trailer that best fits your needs, then enjoy. If something goes array, it is all part of the adventure. This is not the hobby for penny pinchers.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Simply put, we have had 2 FR products. Both have been great. We love our Windjammer. Someone offered to buy it from us again this week and we said no way. Our friends are trying to purchase SOB and they have been lied to twice by the FACTORY REP - not the dealership! Buy the trailer that best fits your needs, then enjoy. If something goes array, it is all part of the adventure. This is not the hobby for penny pinchers.
Yes well said!!
Old 02-26-2019, 07:39 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to B and B
My first FR product 1st day out the slide failed and even after dealer rebuild was a Joke. Took a loss and traded it on a much better 5th wheel. Still issues like delamination but traded it for SOB and dealer didn't notice.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
My first FR product 1st day out the slide failed and even after dealer rebuild was a Joke. Took a loss and traded it on a much better 5th wheel. Still issues like delamination but traded it.
What was the better one?? Thanks