Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2015, 02:36 PM   #1

Purchasing used TT .How to test systems?

We are purchasing a 2011 Micro Lite 23LB. It is set up in a large building at a car dealership. Our purchase is contingent on us seeing if everything works and we are going there tomorrow to check everything out. There is no water available to test any of the plumbing and of course nothing to test the sewer systems. Because it is used, there is no warranty. So what do we do?
zinger60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:42 PM   #2

A mobile RV tech would be a good idea but will cost out of pocket if you buy or don't buy. If your unfamiliar with RV,s it would be a goodi dea if you can get one on short notice.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:09 PM   #3

Provided the battery is up to snuff, you should be able to pour a few gallons of water into the fresh water tank (if there isn't any now) and run the pump and get water to all the faucets and toilet. The battery should let you check most of the lighting, too.

Actually, I would think they'd have an extension cord you could plug in and verify the microwave and other 110 stuff works.

If there's propane, even with just the battery, you should be able to run the furnace. You should also be able to turn on the refrigerator on gas to at least see if it starts to get cold. If it does, switch it to AC and see if it continues to get cold. This could take an hour or so, though.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:59 PM   #4

Zinger,

Wife and I just traded in a 2013 23lb at Raper RV. Great little trailer. Hope everything works out for you...enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:38 PM   #5

Thanks for the help. We have never owned a TT before so we don't know the first thing about how everything works. How do I know if there is water in the tank in order to turn on the pump?
Old 01-25-2015, 05:46 PM   #6

Go to the camping row at Walmart, etc. & get a 30A to 15A adapter. Take your own heavy duty 15A extension cord so that you can test-out the 110V appliances like microwave & A/C. (Our A/C will run from a 15A breaker if we don't run the microwave, coffee, etc...) Take your own ladder & visually inspect the roof. IMPORTANT - Open every access panel & cupboard & look for prior water damage.

Last year we bought a used 2011 TT for a good price from a local dealer (same as FSBO on Craigslist) & feel that a 2-4 year-old TT offers the best bang-for-buck vs. new or older TT's... However, you have to be very picky & run-away if see anything that doesn't look right. In our case, the RV Dealer ran it through a thorough inspection, including a pressure test for leaks. They re-caulked everywhere, replaced a non-functional CO2 detector, fixed a few loose cupboards, replaced the battery & filled the propane tanks - all for no charge. (Equalizer 4 also included in the price...) During a 2.5 hour PDI we found a couple other issues, like an awning that needed adjusted, and they fixed everything on the spot. Even though used meant no warranty, we camped for 30 days without an issue.

Since you are not buying from a RV dealer who can readily fix things, you should factor that into your price.
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

zinger, Patience's is the word here. If this used car dealer wants to "sell it and not just dump it" then he will wait. Have you researched retail cost of it? I would go to some RV dealers and just look and ask questions (adding water/turning on/off lights/checking tank levels), you'll be able to get the basic's in one trip. How much are you planning to use it? And, do you have desire, mechanical abilities, and the area (garage) to do repairs? I'm sure it will need some type of maintenance. At least all used RV's I've looked at do. Anything from greasing bearing axels to replacing 12 volt bulbs. I would find out the cost for a RV guy to look it over first.

RV Prices, Values & Reviews - NADAguides

Just between you and me, the best I would offer is 20% low retail. Even in perfect condition. Any way that a starting point. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #8

The NADA price is low retail $13,750 and the average retail is $16,555. They were asking $11,000 for it and we got them down to $9,200.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:05 PM   #9

For smaller TT's don't add-in all of the options when you use the NADA calculator - it creates a crazy inflated price... If I add all of the options my PT Tracer came with, my 2011 would list more than a new 2015...

So, looking at the 2011 Micro Lite 23LB, the low retail is actually $8,600 & the average retail is $10,350. Craigslist across the nation show prices above $10,000 so IMO if you can get it for around $9,000 you are getting it for a fair price provided it's in excellent condition & you can test everything for a couple hours...

Remember, RV dealers are getting tons of trade-ins from all of the winter RV Shows, so the next couple of months are also a good time to find a good price on used TT's at a RV dealer. Buying it from a RV dealer means you get the full pre-inspection & follow-up PDI with everything hooked-up.

In our case I spent about 2 hours looking behind every access panel & cabinet BEFORE making an offer and another 2.5 hours after the RV dealer addressed the issues I found during inspection #1. IMO a car dealer has no more to offer you then if you were buying it FSBO on Craigslist so your final price should take that into consideration... In our case, the RV dealer beat what I could negotiate with Craigslist sellers & they threw-in many free options including a WDH.
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:30 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger60 View Post
The NADA price is low retail $13,750 and the average retail is $16,555. They were asking $11,000 for it and we got them down to $9,200.
yea, sounds like you didn't use NADA correctly.
you don't add value for things that almost always come with it. things like a/c, oven, stereo and so on.
you only add if something was added by the dealer or later on by the owner.
things like inverter or mag wheels or bigger tv.

you generally just bypass the Options section and just go right to value.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:00 PM   #11

Quote:
How do I know if there is water in the tank in order to turn on the pump?
You can stick you head under the trailer and see the fresh water tank. They are usually white and you can see the water level. The fresh water tank is usually in front of the axles. Otherwise, you can try pushing the level meter button on the monitoring panel. (Assuming you've got 12VDC power from the battery.) The monitoring panel will look like one of these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+h...QQ7Ak4Cg&dpr=1

I'd guess it's like mine, so it's probably a black panel, it will most likely have 4 lights in a vertical row, (or may have a digital readout). It will typically have buttons you push to read the fresh water tank level, grey water tank level, black water tank level, and the battery voltage level. I believe in the 23LB it will be on the end of the overhead cabinets over the dinette. Just look up and left as you come in the door. You can just see it in the upper left corner of image #5 (image #6 if you expand the pics) here:

http://www.exploreusa.com/inventory/...Lite-23LB.aspx

Be aware that the readouts are notoriously bad, especially for the grey and black tanks, usually reading more level than actual due to the crud in the tanks creating electrical shorts between the sensing probes. The fresh water tank usually reads OK, though.

This is the 30amp/15amp adapter The_Rhino suggested. It will allow you to plug your "normal" 15 amp extension cord into the 30 amp trailer power cord.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-adapter/69604

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:19 PM   #12

I bought my first used trailer on Craigslist and I bought my 2nd trailer used off of a new car dealer. This was a 2012 though and I spoke with the owner.

As mentioned before, try to get in touch with the previous owner and find out the information here and get the details on it if you can.

If not, time is all you have. If the dealer wants to sell it, they will wait on you to get a person to come out and look. If you aren't really confident in your abilities to check every system out and ensure everything is in perfect working order, I highly recommend bringing someone with you that knows what to look for. If you don't know anyone, hiring someone is the way to go. If you can't get someone to go when it's convenient for the dealer then they need to make time for when you can go and when you can bring someone with you. In my opinion, if they want to make a sale, they will accomodate you. If they can't accomodate you and your terms, they aren't worth buying from.

As for the price, like others have said, go on NADA and bypass the options. It's a really common mistake that people do.

My sister just bought a 2013 Starcraft Launch for $7900, which was actually below the low retail NADA without options configured. This was at Camping World where they were moving inventory. If the low retail number is $8600 an awesome price for a trailer in good condition would be right around there. I would certainly believe though at $9,000 it is a fair price but, with that number they would have to accomodate you. There needs to be electrical there and they shouldn't rush you into any type of inspection, etc.

Best of luck with the new adventure it's really exciting once you get past the initial how can I be sure everything is right stage. Best advice is to not rush into anything or feel like you are being rushed.

I felt that way with my first one and I think I could have done better in the end in terms of finding a better camper for the same money.

Good luck, keep us posted!
Old 01-26-2015, 09:43 PM   #13

Well, about an hour before we were due at the dealership to look over the camper, we got ahold of a great guy that has a mobile RV service. He worked locally for the RV industry for 10 years and now has his own business. This guy was fantastic! For $75 he not only did the inspection, but showed my husband how everything worked. He said the camper is in great shape and nothing wrong with it so we went through with the sale. We love it. The interior looks brand new and the previous owners had even swapped out the original queen mattress with a memory foam mattress, not just a foam topper. We are very happy we bought it and can't wait to use it. I guess we have a couple months to figure out how everything works. Time to get busy reading the forums
Old 01-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #14

When I purchased a "No Warranty" TT, I got the dealer to agree in writing that I had 5 days to prove all systems were GOOD TO GO, and those which I discovered not good to go in the 5 day period would be fixed or replaced. I took the unit home and put everything through it's paces
If dealer wants to sell used unit, he will agree to this procedure.
saltyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyman View Post
When I purchased a "No Warranty" TT, I got the dealer to agree in writing that I had 5 days to prove all systems were GOOD TO GO, and those which I discovered not good to go in the 5 day period would be fixed or replaced. I took the unit home and put everything through it's paces
If dealer wants to sell used unit, he will agree to this procedure.
This is exactly what I would suggest.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger60 View Post
Well, about an hour before we were due at the dealership to look over the camper, we got ahold of a great guy that has a mobile RV service. He worked locally for the RV industry for 10 years and now has his own business. This guy was fantastic! For $75 he not only did the inspection, but showed my husband how everything worked. He said the camper is in great shape and nothing wrong with it so we went through with the sale. We love it. The interior looks brand new and the previous owners had even swapped out the original queen mattress with a memory foam mattress, not just a foam topper. We are very happy we bought it and can't wait to use it. I guess we have a couple months to figure out how everything works. Time to get busy reading the forums
Great and congratulations on the TT!

Old 01-28-2015, 01:09 PM   #17

Congrats on the rig have many fun adventures and I'm glad you found someone reasonable in price. In Oregon they start at around $150