Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #1

Pushy Campers

I was camping a few weekends ago and while I was outside packing up, a guy came up to me and ask if I just got the spot or if I was packing up to leave. I could have been smart and said look at the tag on the post, but I told him that we were leaving. He then stated that he wanted our spot when we left as his friends just pulled into the site next to mine. I just said sure, as if I had anything to do with who got the spot next, and he went on his way and I continued to pack up. This was about 9:00 a.m. when check out time is 2:00 p.m.

The next thing I know, his wife is bringing items and staking them on the picnic table at the site. They set up a temporary holding tent behind my trailer all the while saying, no rush we just want this site next, don't feel like we're rushing you. Well guess what..they were rushing me. He came back over when I was almost done to see if we were about to pull out so he could go get his rig and park behind me so he could pull in as we were pulling out. Now don't get me wrong, he was very nice and polite and we shot the breeze for a little while, but I just felt a bit rushed as I was trying to go over my pack up list. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? How would you react? I started to pull out a chiar and sit there until 1:59. I should mention these are first come first serve sites, no reservations allowed.

I just thought it was funny that he was watching the site like a hawk as if someone could have squeezed in right after I left and before he could claim it. Sure enough, before I left his rig was right behind mine and he pulled in the instant I left. (pull through site)
cdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Never had that happen to me but it would be annoying. If it does happens again request that him waits until you have either departed or 2pm to move in, whatever comes first. After all since he was in the next site over it would only take a second to move into to claim your site.

I often share that I have "space issues".

PS
Your site sounds like it was the best one in the campground.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
Threegeeks

That would be annoying but I wonder if the office staffs are telling him that he have to moved his rig out of the other site before a certain time, in order to move to your site.
U.S. Army Veterans
threegeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #4

We had that happen to us at Douthat SP. It was only the second time we had ever had the TT out and we were very slow getting packed up. The guy wanted our spot so he could be close to his friends. At least he didn't start moving their things on to the site. He put their info tag on the site so no one would get it from the time we pulled out until they could get their TT in.

Don and Laura + Roo
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbus View Post
I was camping a few weekends ago and while I was outside packing up, a guy came up to me and ask if I just got the spot or if I was packing up to leave. I could have been smart and said look at the tag on the post, but I told him that we were leaving. He then stated that he wanted our spot when we left as his friends just pulled into the site next to mine. I just said sure, as if I had anything to do with who got the spot next, and he went on his way and I continued to pack up. This was about 9:00 a.m. when check out time is 2:00 p.m.

The next thing I know, his wife is bringing items and staking them on the picnic table at the site. They set up a temporary holding tent behind my trailer all the while saying, no rush we just want this site next, don't feel like we're rushing you. Well guess what..they were rushing me. He came back over when I was almost done to see if we were about to pull out so he could go get his rig and park behind me so he could pull in as we were pulling out. Now don't get me wrong, he was very nice and polite and we shot the breeze for a little while, but I just felt a bit rushed as I was trying to go over my pack up list. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? How would you react? I started to pull out a chiar and sit there until 1:59. I should mention these are first come first serve sites, no reservations allowed.

I just thought it was funny that he was watching the site like a hawk as if someone could have squeezed in right after I left and before he could claim it. Sure enough, before I left his rig was right behind mine and he pulled in the instant I left. (pull through site)
Wonder what he would have done if you started packing the stuff they were putting on the table in your trailer?
Old 07-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Wonder what he would have done if you started packing the stuff they were putting on the table in your trailer?
Or told him that it's so nice...I think I'll go and pay up for a few more days!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #7

In the provincial parks you have to register after 12 and then the site is yours. The people currently on the site have until 12 to reregister. You have until 2 to vacate. We recently ran into that situation. We put our name on the list and then asked the neighbours around us if they had plans on staying (park staff can not divulge that info). If they did we were third on the list and would have had to leave the campground. Because we had our site and the number one person on the list wanted our site and we were at 21 of 23 days on that site and couldn't move in two days we had to move plus thought I would be nice and let someone else enjoy the best site in the park. as it turned out we were able to stay and had to move one site over. We waited for them to leave and moved our stuff. The people looking to move into ours drove by a couple of times. I was out by 1 ish and they were in. They were on a site elsewhere in the park and they too had to move. It's tough when everyone is shuffling around. These were first come sites too. I wouldn't feel rushed but if I had I would've handed him something and pointed to where I wanted him to place it on my new site or he could wait until I did it!!! LOL!!! We had people sit and wait until I showed up well after 2 (about 330 I think) then decide to pack up and leave. I didn't have any inhibitions about moving in while they were still there. People are people and tolerances are different. Always a touchy thing. People should just understand the rules and adhere to them so it's enjoyable for everyone. I have a dog that will bark at strangers so I just let her bark unless I'm ready to engage in the conversation (takes care of any boundary issue!). Likely not pushy just didn't understand how you felt and likely would understand if you explained it to them. Although you shouldn't have to!! Human nature is a complex thing.

Phew that's a long story!!
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
(Kim)

When him and his wife kept coming back, I would have jokingly told them that they were making me nervous, then asked them what site they were currently at and promised that I would go an get them as soon as I was all packed up; which would be very close to 2pm.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAlover View Post
He put their info tag on the site so no one would get it from the time we pulled out until they could get their TT in.
That would have been a good option for cdbus. Then the guy would have left them alone, maybe.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #10

We didnt' have a problem with pushy campers, but we did have a problem yesterday when returning to our site. We're camping this week and going back and forth to work, so we have two vehicles this week. We got back yesterday and there was a vehicle parked on our site. So I asked at the site next door if it was their vehicle. Yes it was, so I asked if they could please move it. Then I was told "well, there isn't enough parking on our site!" So I told them they need to park in overflow parking right down the road. Her next response was "well, there was no one on your site when we parked there." Excuse me? There is a 32' foot travel trailer parked on the site and our stuff is outside; I paid for the site for the entire week. I can't help it if her visitors didn't have a place to park! So I told her it wasn't my problem and went back to my site. Funny how they were able to get 2 vehicles on their site within 5 minutes.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
there was a vehicle parked on our site. So I asked at the site next door if it was their vehicle. Yes it was, so I asked if they could please move it. Then I was told "well, there isn't enough parking on our site!"
You just can't believe the nerve of some people.

I'd be telling them that it's a lot easier to move the vehicle while it still has air in all the tires!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
You just can't believe the nerve of some people.

I'd be telling them that it's a lot easier to move the vehicle while it still has air in all the tires!

Dave
LOL. Never thought of that.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #13

This happens all the time at a place I go to. The Dam West campground at Carlyle Lake has a very well organized and lubricated 'good 'ol boy" network of campsite stalkers. First come, first serve is a joke. There are even a couple of campers there that have the tent display units from a Wal-Mart or Target and set these mini tents in the middle of the site as soon as a trailer pulls out. Seriously, you literally cannot get to your TV, and move to the site before someone has one of the mini tents or a pair of chairs in the drive. I won't even go there anymore without a reservation. My answer to the above mentioned stalker would have been "nope, just got here..." . I have said to folks before "I thought stalking was illegal?"
Old 07-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

I have been "That Guy" once.

I was transiting Hill AFB, Utah and only had 2 days to visit with friends. I was in overflow the first night and could not move into my hook up slot until the guy that was in there left. He had to be gone by 11 AM and I was "chomping at the bit" to be sure since I did not want to spend my "full day" waiting for him to leave when he knew we were in overflow waiting for him to pull out.

He had a motor home and at 10:00 he and his DW were still in their PJs finishing a leisurely breakfast. I rang their doorbell and wished them safe travels; reminding them we were waiting; and then fumed until they finally left at noon.

I do not feel a single bit of remorse for being "pushy" as that dude would have still been there at 2 PM.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote