Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Qs for anyone who attended a recent RV/Camper show?

Well, its that time of year up here in cold WI when the trailer shows are about to begin.

I've heard mixed stories from several people over the last few months about relative pricing on new trailers. Anything from bucking the poor economy "look at the industry stats - its a sellers market and my area dealers are not dropping" to reflecting the poor economy "my local dealers are very willing to negotiate a very good price for me (i.e., close to or beating RVW and RVD)".

So, my question is what has been your experience at recent shows? The same as last year? Better? Worse? And, I am talking about the price after negotiating; not the dealer's list, of course.
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

RV shows are an excellent way to compare a lot of campers. The prices are slashed, so they can sell the units. I think the prices are a good starting point to negotiate if you decide to wait and buy a camper outside of the show. Inside the show, start with that price and see how much lower the dealer can go, or see what he can add to the deal (hitches, options ??).

I ran into some friends sitting in a camper at the Richmond Show last year. They bought that camper (~$10,000) and have really been traveling and using that puppy since then....they couldn't be happier.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

There is a thread here somewhere about price negotiation techniques on campers. Since there is not a "Edmunds" for RVs, it is hard to find a "dealer's invoice" for campers.

Found it: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...osts-9391.html
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Mtnguy. With your friend's example, I wonder how they felt about that relative to past years. You know - did they think that was a better or worse deal than they could have gotten a year ago? That's ultimately what I am looking for - is this a good time for negotiation or not? In a way, its a moot point for me because I can't exactly go back in time and buy (if that was a better time) but the experiences of others right now would give me an idea of what to expect.

Thank you Herk. I read the post from November (and lots like them over the last few months). That thread surprised me that dealers may charge for the PDI.

I agree that:
There is no such thing as an Edmunds for RVs
That dealers seem to set their own MSRPs, regarless of what the manufacturer lists.
That quotes from RVW and RVD make sense to work up from as opposed to working down from the dealer's numbers.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Thank you Mtnguy. With your friend's example, I wonder how they felt about that relative to past years. You know - did they think that was a better or worse deal than they could have gotten a year ago?
I don't think my friends had been actively searching for a new trailer, so I am not sure they could compare to previous years. The had bought a Jayco 165 a year or so before, and pulled that with an S10 pickup. The went to the Richmond RV show, and fell in love with a Puma 20-QB.....we have some mutual friends that had a Pioneer version of that floor plan. I don't know if they were intending on buying at the show, or got caught up in the moment. They took a hit on the Jayco, and even had to buy another pickup to tow the bigger trailer, but they have really enjoyed their new trailer since they picked it up last spring.

My daughter and son-in-law went with me to the Richmond RV show, I think in 2007. The fell in love with a Jayco 186, and spent a bunch of time talking to the salesman. They came back home without the trailer, but were debating whether to go back down the next day and sign the paperwork. The called a closer dealer, and worked out a comparable price over the phone.....using the leverage of the Richmond Show unit.....not quite as good of price, but the local dealer threw in some extras, and they liked the salesman much better.

When my daughter and son-in-law saw the floorplan of our friend's trailer, they traded in that Jayco on a used Puma last spring.....geez. That makes 3 trailers with the same floorplan that sometimes travel together........I am 1 of the oddballs with my Surveyor, and the other traveler has my old Trailmanor.

I think what I am trying to say with all of the previous ramblings......be careful and not get caught up in the moment. Those spotlessly clean trailers, with all of the lights turned on, soft music coming from the stereo, and big time price slashes can get to ya. It is an excellent time to look at different trailers, and even buy if you go there with that intention after doing your homework. I would suggest going the 1st day the show opens, and if you find the perfect camper, call around to dealers close to you to see if they can match or better the price at the show....be sure in include all options in the negotiating. Also, get on the internet and see if you can find it cheaper, and take a printout to your local dealer. If you really want that particular camper and can't find it closer to home and the show price is the same or better than you can get anywhere else, go back to the show the next day and sign on the dotted line.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:35 PM   #6

After much due diligence on our part (Internet searching, kicking tires etc) we just ordered our new Crusader 5th wheel at the RV show. The dealer offered us an amazing deal and we snapped it up. Funny thing is my husband found our purchase contract from our 2005 tt that we will be trading in and our new 5th wheel is actually less. Go figure.
Tkcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #7

My wife and I went to a show the second week of January ,knew what trailer we wanted,(Flagstaff 23FB) after lots of searching . The dealer didn't have the model we wanted at the show so we talked to a Forest River factory rep that was there. Some of the options we wanted he told us we could get them on the trailer. Turned out that they were not options that were normally put on that model so they gave them to us at no cost. The price was very comparable to what we were seeing and with the extra goodies thrown in we made a deal. We are so excited this is our first TT purchase after many years of tent camping we can't wait for it to come in.
abrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

This is good feedback. The Madison and Milwaukee shows are coming up and my wife and I are looking to buy new this year. We had a Grand Surveyor (used) but that was sold. We need something for this summer. It will be interesting to see what we can negotiate this year.

I intend to use the show pricing from local dealers, RVW and RVD to compare.