Old 01-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #11
cogito ergo moo

The company that is going to win the RV quality war will be the first one to give up paying piecework and go to a regular 'per-hour' wage model.

Tim

Nights Reserved 147121212125 ..........My Project Blog: https://cowracer.blogspot.com/

Cowracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #12

I recently saw something saying rvia expects something like 435,000 rv to be ordered by dealers this year. With those numbers you just know something has to give. To me that's quality control.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
The company that is going to win the RV quality war will be the first one to give up paying piecework and go to a regular 'per-hour' wage model.

Tim
Far as I know, they all are are hourly, at least the ones I've visited (Palomino in Michigan and Forest River in Indiana). I was offered a position at Palomino when I stopped by one time. Told them I wasn't interested, one, I'm retired and two, the commute was a bit excessive, I'm 1.5 hours from Colon and Elkhart.

It isn't wages. It's attitude and hurry up and get it done that is the issue and contrary to the idea that Amish are craftsmen (and women) is not true. Maybe in a small shop like building harnesses or fixing nose cones they are, but on the factory floor, they are just worker bees with beards (men) and bonnets (ladies) and attitudes.

The same stuff goes on in predominately Amish shops that goes on in shops staffed by gentiles, no difference at all.

I know. I have a very longtime friend who supplies sub assemblies to Masco /Kraftmaid and that shop is almost 100% Amish workers and I've heard from him over the years about the stuff the employees do and seen some of it first hand, enough not to buy into the 'Amish Craftsmanship' thing.

Might make good PR copy but it's a falsehood for the most part.

Having been an RV owner for at least the last 25 years, I've seen overall quality improve vastly. Still has a ways to go.

When builders feel theit overall quality gas reached an exceptable level across their entire lines, at that point, they will offer a longer and more comprehensive warranty. That will be the yardstick to measure from.

When a builder has complete confidence in their product, a warranty is a non issue. When you see an extended, no cost warranty, you know that builder has confidence in their product and that builder will capture the lion's share of business as well.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #14

One problem is the options are limited. Since Thor bought out Jayco, Thor and FR now have over 80% share of the towables market. The small independents keep getting bought out so there is less competition.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #15

As a first time owner of a Forest River product, I can say that I am pleased with my "new to me" purchase. I am keenly aware of the quality issues that show up, and although I am new to the ownership of an RV, I am confident I can perform many repairs needed when an issue shows up.
That being said, I know the first owner of my unit had the black tank replaced, why, I do not know, but the drain plumbing installed was superior to the factory original. I am not having any problems with that repair. I just discovered that the factory installed RG6 cabling is quality cable, but the connectors (terminations) were not installed correctly. The cable TV installation was good, but when I installed DISH I was not getting signals thru my satellite connections. I have found minor defects in the quality of the woodwork, but that I mainly to my being fussy, nothing else. Being my unit is now 3 years old since it was manufactured, I am very pleased with my Columbus 340RK.
Will I have issues in the future? I am sure I will, but with the advise and help of members here, I will be able to handle most issues.

'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality