Old 02-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post

However, i would like to suggest to others, think about this for a minute, if you had the luck like you and i have had and you bought your camper from a dealer that is 100 miles away from where you live instead of a local dealer, there would be a lot of running back forth, because we know that a local dealer does not have to honor the warrenty work unless you bought your camper from them.
My local dealer is close to 100 miles away.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
However, i would like to suggest to others, think about this for a minute, if you had the luck like you and i have had and you bought your camper from a dealer that is 100 miles away from where you live instead of a local dealer,
Once when I mentioned to FR that the long trips to my dealer was adding up, they told me it was my choice to buy from the dealer so far away. I told them to do a dealer search on their web site and check out the results.
At the time, the Rockwood was the trailer I wanted to purchase and the dealer I bought from was the closest that carried the Rockwood line, 180 mile round trip.

I also kind of ran into the problem yvesm mentioned in his post. My former dealer and FR were in litigation, which I found out about after I started having problems with the trailer. The dealership also had dropped the Rockwood line and were selling what remaining units they had on the lot when I bought mine. As I mentioned, I was unaware of this at the time I made my purchase. So I was caught in the middle of all that.
They still sell other FR products.

So you can't always buy where it's convenient and the two way relationship between your dealer and the tt's manufacturer is very important.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #23

Chap, but i am sure you have a good rig like most people here on the forum, it's just the unknown and there is no return, some of the problems are too late once they develop, like replacing walls after the bubbles show up on the inside. If you are handy then the small things are nothing to take care of and these thing will happen over time as the camper gets older, and if you can see what is getting ready to happen then it can be stop. Early development of major problems with a rig that is less then two years new makes me wonder much longer my rig will last. I guess when the time comes and it is time to retire it, i will take the roof and walls off of the frame and use it as one h-ll of a utility trailer and deliever firewood to the local campgrounds. Who knows, you may see my red Chevy truck setting on the side of the road we a sign saying " Firewood for sale".......
Old 02-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #24

Wade, just wondering. Does your chainsaw have heated handles too?

I appologize to the OP for getting off subject. Just couldn't help myself.
I do believe the subject of this thread is very important and there has been some very good info passed on.
I won't do it again... really.... I promise!

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Once when I mentioned to FR that the long trips to my dealer was adding up, they told me it was my choice to buy from the dealer so far away. I told them to do a dealer search on their web site and check out the results.
At the time, the Rockwood was the trailer I wanted to purchase and the dealer I bought from was the closest that carried the Rockwood line, 180 mile round trip.

I also kind of ran into the problem yvesm mentioned in his post. My former dealer and FR were in litigation, which I found out about after I started having problems with the trailer. The dealership also had dropped the Rockwood line and were selling what remaining units they had on the lot when I bought mine. As I mentioned, I was unaware of this at the time I made my purchase. So I was caught in the middle of all that.
They still sell other FR products.

So you can't always buy where it's convenient and the two way relationship between your dealer and the tt's manufacturer is very important.
Gary, I agree and understand, this is some thing to consider for those who are just getting into RV'ing, there is a lot to check out before buying and i believe as members here we all are doing a great job on helping everyone out with our own experiences, and you a great point as to why a local dealer may not work for all.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #26

I bought a new Flagsaff 5th wheel last year, and so far we love it and the only problem was the vents would not stay open, come to find out a bad batch of vents were installed on many campers, they were replaced by dealer. Even (knock on wood) our concertone is working great.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #27

We have had a popup, hybrid, and now a travel trailer from three different companys. I have joined forums for all three. Some people have no problems with their campers, and others have things that dont work. It's like a car, you need to make sure you take care of it, and maintain it. We have not been disappointed on any of our purchases so far, and dont expect to be on our FR purchase either.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #28

ll be honest i spent the last 6 years looking at every brand of trailer/5th wheel &motorhome that thor industries, forest river, and many other brands like jayco,evergreen/sunnybrook, gulfstream,winnebago,mobile suites,KZ and more.

Of the various forest river products of all types i find them to be much like winnebago products. not quite the best but they are well built and and affordable. ill be honest in our years of looking for trailers and motorhomes.

The ONLY thing bad about forest river's various procts is not the product themselves its the dealers they sell with.

Ive found that in general Born free,Evergreen,kz,Sunnybrook have better dealer networks. dont get me wrong there are good and bad dealer everywhere but ive found alot more slimy salesmen selling the Forest river products than with most others.

Unfortunatly thats an industry wide issue. buying a trailer/motorhome now fells like buying a car did in the 80's before the automotive industry started to regulate themselves and having standards.

Right now any ol slimeball can sell a trailer and has no problem lying through thier teeth let alone they regularly sell products that are dangerous to people. there are a few nice guys that are good dealers, but most dealers will try to sell you the largest most overloaded motorhome/trailer they can fleeece you with regardles of wether you can safely tow/drive it.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #29

So far we have been in our Sunseeker for 6 months and only one major problem that was easily fixed. The placement of the generator exhaust is almost directly under the living room slideout. We found out the hard way that if the wind is in the right direction the RV will fill up with exhaust fumes and set off the CO detectors. We now carry with us an exhaust extension so I can shoot the fumes to the front, back, or straight up and over.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #30

We have a 2011 mini lite 1809s. I have been looking for over a year before I made the decision to buy one. My new trailer is at the factory at this time for water damages repairs. I am looking foward to get it back. It is the perfect trailer for us and our 2009 uplander is pulling it like a breeze . We went to see several brands of the same configuration and I will tell you what made me buy a rockwood versus other brands. First the bed. All the trailers that we have seen had a terrible junky mattres so soft that nobody can sleep on it except your cat. The cabinetry also was one of our decision even if the finish was not perfect they are nicely done. The look of the trailer also was our point of sale. We had 13 trailers over the years and to tell you all of them had their little defects that we learned to accept.