Old 02-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Wade, just wondering. Does your chainsaw have heated handles too?

I appologize to the OP for getting off subject. Just couldn't help myself.
I do believe the subject of this thread is very important and there has been some very good info passed on.
I won't do it again... really.... I promise!
Gary, my chainsaw does not have heated handles, but it does a beer can holder....sorry fokes, i appologize as well.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #32

I believe the closest Rockwood Dealer to me is also over 100 miles away in South Carolina. I bought(ordered) mine through Tropical RV in Fla. Found them through the internet and they had great pricing. I find the dealer network to be a weak link in all this. Unlike cars and some boats where any dealer takes care of factory warranty stuff, it seems FR has an out here in a way or two in that only the selling dealer is obligated to help.

Warranty work is warranty work in my book I dont get why FR has this policy...I mean what if I lived in one part of the country and moved to another within the warranty period or I had purchased the extended warranty? This makes no sense to me other than to get people to buy local to combat internet pricing. Then again, the internet might keep some dealers honest in their pricing too...

08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:27 AM   #33
Moderators' Assistant

Bob, this not a FR policy, but it's an industry-wide dealer policy.

the RV manufacturers can't force their dealers to service anything they didn't sell. it's not like the auto industry.
because RV dealers often sell different brands of manufacturers. they aren't aligned with just one manufacturer.
so they can pick and choose who they service.
we had 2 out of 3 local Roo dealers tell us that if we bought from someone else, they wouldn't service ours.
FR found other FR dealers that were more than happy to do warranty work for us.

i think it's a scare tactic that dealers use so that you'll pay more money to have them service it for you.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #34

Ok....Bike, I see where you are coming from, I really do. Good points and I am learning stuff here I never knew. However, the industry is messed up then. I own a Grady White boat as you know. Boat dealers often sell other brands too. The Grady dealer in Columbia, the nearest one to me, sells 4 other boat brands. The dealer in Savannah I bought it from sells Regulator, Carolina Skiff and I think Sea Hunt or some other boat brand.

The marine industry does not "think and operate" like this at all. I think part of it is many shops depend on service, especially in this economy, for their bread and butter. I get my Yammaha outboard serviced at the nearest 5 star tech dealer in Greenvillee, SC...they aren't a Grady dealer at all.

I have not had any major issues with previous campers, so the dealer thing was not all that important to me. So given how the marine industry operates, the RV industry ought to take a look at it. If a producty is under warranty and the manufacturer says they will cover it, what difference does it make who does it?

I could be mistaken, but if you are a Grady dealer part of being a Grady dealer requirement is servicing Grady White boats, not just the ones you sell. It seems to me RV manufacturers could basically make this a condition of carrying their product lines. However, if only FR said this, I suspect dealers would likely freak out and a few might drop them. It would take an industry wide shift to adopt the marine industry model.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #35

smokyroo,

I dont think bikendan is justifying it just stating the situation. and i whole heartedly agree with you. the RV industry as a whole not just FR
is a pretty horrid operation that is just looking to fleece as many people as posible and provide as little support as possible.

its not just the boat and auto industry. look at best buy (i hate that place) they have a geek squad and my computer i bought online i can have serviced there at best buy. my lawn mower bought from woods lawn equipment can be serviced and bought from german hill equipment (who doesnt sell that brand) and you know what? john deere STILL honors the warranty. my rifle purchased online can be worked on by a liscensed gunsmith anywhere and the warranty still covers it if its a warranty issue.

dont get me wrong there are fishy dealers and junk in every industry but the whole RV industry (minus a few individual dealers) is about fleecing as much money out of people and put as many roadblock as possible force those people to get support (so they are forced to buy another one)

Our RV industry is following the Cell phone industry not the Auto/boat/tractor industry
Old 02-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

And they won't change the sytem either because there is no incentive for change.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #37

Even though I am having problems with my new rig, it has been in the shop for four weeks now waiting for parts, both Forest River and Equalizer told me they are going to take care of the bill. I have it in an RV repair faciulity that is not on FR's list.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #38

Covfam,
I am really naive when it comes to RV industry and meant nothing negative towards Bikendan at all. Yall have opened my eyes a little here. I have never had a big warranty issue like I said with other TTs so for me, it is a no harm no foul kind of experience. Ignorance is bliss and I hope my bliss continues with my Roo when it gets here at the end of month or so

I have had several warranty issues with my boat and every time it was a pleasure dealing with Grady. Their service standard in the marine industry is second to none and perhaps second to none in most other industries too. I think in part because Grady is not a huge company in terms of volume like FR and they have been under private ownership since their begining 52 years ago and under the same owner since 1967.

Happy Super Bowl everyone ... I think I am for the Steelers or maybe I am for the Pack...