Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #1

Quality of Forest River products

Am I sensing a feeling of quailty lapses with the FR products? We have not bought anything yet - just wondering about some of the things we have read about them. Please - not criticizing at all - tryng to learn that's all. Are they a quality product for the money - I am referring to the FR Class Cs.Thanks - Pat
PJL210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #2

Maybe I should knock on wood right now but here goes. We have had two FR products, both purchased new a HW Popup and a TT and we just ordered a 5th Wheel, we have not had any issues I would call mfg quality issues, sure we had minor items can you buy anything new without them these days? example the nut on the electric post came lose on our 3rd or 4th trip out with the TT and the slide would not open, tracked it down and fixed it.

I think what happens here is that a sometimes we get a "knee jurk" reaction and people post questions, or complaints before they actually sit down and think through the issue and how to fix it. I have not really seen any big mfg type quality issues on here, but not sure how you define quality product either.
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #3

Most people don't have many problems. People tend to post when they do.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #4

No Major Problems Here

Wle bought a new T25KS last summer and thus far used it for 23 nights of camping. No major problems thus far.. only a few minor things that were easily corrected by me.. One of the bed support struts came loose and I reattached it along with the other using a 1/4 bolts. One cabinet drawer below the couch won't stay closed so I put a magnetic catch on it... Nothing that required taking it back to the dealer for warranty work thus far.. we love it....
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #5

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
They actually fall toward the a little above average side (Better quality) than most. All and all its like Ibrjet said people that have had problems tend to post more. We felt the same way before we Bought our 2011 Rockwood Windjammer. I started reading more and more post's and thought to myself........what did I get into now?? But we have had no problems with ours. We love it !! Good question !! Now you know !!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #6

Some have had legit problems with their trailers, such as delam. I did. For the most part Forest River does seem to take care of their customers. They replaced both sidewalls on my trailer.
The vast majority seem to have have very little problems. As far as I can tell Forest River is as good or better than any other manufactuer.
Finding a good dealer is usually the hardest, but if you do you shouldn't have any problems if any issues should arise.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:39 AM   #7
Site Team

i think that one reason FR is so popular is just that.
good quality for the money.

we felt that way with our Roo. we looked at nearly every brand of hybrid TT and the FR products were on par with Jayco and Starcraft, which were considered the best in quality. but they cost way more.

we felt that the Roo was as good in quality but at a cheaper price.

the only thing was we felt FR's customer service reputation, was not on par with Jayco or Starcraft.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:11 AM   #8

Thanks for all the speedy replies - I am feeling better about FR products. I realize tha there are no perfect products! Just don't want a lemon (LOL).... Thanks again - Pat
PJL210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #9

After a year and 5000 miles of pulling a new 2011 Shamrock 19 I can honestly say the quality is excellent. No issues at all, except for some screws holding one side of the microwave, easily fixed and a faulty Concertone radio - to be replaced soon.

Friends who bought a new 2010 Jayco 17C - had many problems, all quality and assembly related.

Others friends got a new little 2010 Airstream - 50% more than the price I paid and had a few electrical and brake issues. Not one brand is above anything.

Known fact: 1 unhappy customer will tell 10 people and 1 happy customer tells no one...
Old 02-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #10
camping

We've had 2 minor problems that I would consider to be build "build" issues. the water tank was not installed correctly and one of the outside storage doors wasn't caulked properly. The micro and heater went out but that was a supplier issue and not a Forest River "build" problem. I think all RV manufacturers use the same products (Dometic, Suburban,Thetford, etc.) I have been very, very satisfied with the customer service I have gotten from them. I do take mine to the factory to get warranty work done, it's about 20 minutes from my house. Everyone there is upbeat and go over the top to get items taken care of.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
2011 Berkshire 390bh

We have had very few problems with our Berkshire and FR has stepped up to the plate each time we have had an issue. If you check out a lot of the forums out there you'll find that every manufacturer has their share of problems and some have a lot more than others. There is one major manufacturer of Motor Homes that is having major issues with delamination and cracked fibreglass roofs. These are not bottom line motor homes, but medium level units at around $300k. I don't see FR as being any worse than anyone else, and from what we have seen, they are on the better end of the spectrum.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #12

My 831RLBSS is overall a good unit so far.

The concertone is the only real a "sore point". They are apparently working on a fix for it's issues.

The only other thing that has happened so far is a fuse popping due to a pinched/crushed wire in the slide out. Repositioning the wire fixed that.

The thing about trailers these days seems to be manufacturers trying to maximize profits and minimize costs.

My FR is pretty feature rich for a reasonable cost, but this comes at the expense of the quality of the components installed (IE: stereo, fridge, microwave, etc).

It's kind of like buying a used house:

You're probably going to have to fix a couple things before you're happy.

But that seems to be the same no matter what OEM you buy from these days.....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #13

I am on my secant cc and very happy with it
jutojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #14

Owned a 2001 shamrock until last spring and not ever a problem. Bought a 2011 Rockwood 2902SS and we had a list of defective items (wiring, plumbing, interior finish and trim, leaking roof TV antenna and we got the storm window option and none of the windows fit). Took it back to my dealer for repairs and he told us "its a Forest River Product, what do you expect" Dealer fixed nothing and they are no longer selling FR products, I think that FR dropped them as a dealer. Forest River has gone out of their way to make our camper right. They have sent us spare parts, refunded out money for the storm windows and have responded to any questions that we have had. For the money you get a lot of camper with many choices of floor plans. When you get a camper just spend a lot of time looking at everything before you sign, if its your first camper take someone with you that has experience with campers.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #15

I am glad you asked this question because I have the same feeling...we ordered a Roo and started reading....I got this gnawing feeling, like what have we done? After reading this thread I have a much better comfort level.....5 weeks and counting!
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #16

Forst River is average for the money from my experience. The majority of the members here seem th be happy with there rigs and the RockWood line is one of the biggest seller here on the East Coast.

The reason people post pic of problems is because they are looking for help in getting them corrected from others here on the Forst River Forum that may have had the same problems and this helps the rest of us to keep an eye out on our own rigs as well. You are right, there is no such thing as a perfect camper no matter how much you spend, but just remember the more options you have the more that can go wrong and that go's for anything you buy.

I have to be honest and please members don't take this wrong. I am not bashing Forest River, i chalk it to bad luck on my part, i have had problems with 2-2006 Forest River Rook Woods 8314ss models with in the same model year, from exterior delam to screws backing out of the sidewalls upward under the roof material on the edge of the wall to three different issues with the slide out and bubbles developing in two different ares on the interior walls, and more. I have posted pic of all of these problems on the forum just to let everyone know so that everyone can keep and eye out.

This all started approx one week after the camper was out of warranty, and at not time did i say the Forest River was junk, i was the one that got these two campers,........ that's my luck.......At this point in time i have no plans on buying any camper no matter who makes it,..... until this luck go's away.

So members am i wrong in the way i fell experiencing this kind of luck?
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #17

Wade, we have talked back and forth on this subject quite a bit and I am in total agreement with you. I understand what you are going through and you seemed to have understood the frustration I experienced as well. I also tried to let fellow members know that I wasn't bashing Forest River with my post. I did purchase another one, just not a Rockwood.
Your point is a good one. This is a Forest River forum for people who own and enjoy Forest River products. We try to help each other. So it's great when someone comes up with a mod that others can benifit from, but as you said we need to let others also know about what issues we experience. Sometimes we tend to vent our frustrations a little while doing so.
Let's just remember we all have a common goal here and let's try to be supportive and understanding with our fellow members when they are experiencing issues and maybe venting a little.
As far as the OP's question, maybe this will help explain why he seems to read so many post about problems that Forest River owners are having. If we can't post our problems here and get help, then where?
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #18

Does anyone know if FR, reads this Forum? It would be a great tool for them. Free information. To FR, this could be like a research and development tool. Just thinking.
jcts43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Wade, we have talked back and forth on this subject quite a bit and I am in total agreement with you. I understand what you are going through and you seemed to have understood the frustration I experienced as well. I also tried to let fellow members know that I wasn't bashing Forest River with my post. I did purchase another one, just not a Rockwood.
Your point is a good one. This is a Forest River forum for people who own and enjoy Forest River products. We try to help each other. So it's great when someone comes up with a mod that others can benifit from, but as you said we need to let others also know about what issues we experience. Sometimes we tend to vent our frustrations a little while doing so.
Let's just remember we all have a common goal here and let's try to be supportive and understanding with our fellow members when they are experiencing issues and maybe venting a little.
As far as the OP's question, maybe this will help explain why he seems to read so many post about problems that Forest River owners are having. If we can't post our problems here and get help, then where?
Gary, i joined this forum in 2007, after the warrenty was up to see just what was going on with Forest River and to my surprise most members were happy and i was glad for them, so that's how i came up with my conclusion on the issues i was having.

However, i would like to suggest to others, think about this for a minute, if you had the luck like you and i have had and you bought your camper from a dealer that is 100 miles away from where you live instead of a local dealer, there would be a lot of running back forth, because we know that a local dealer does not have to honor the warrenty work unless you bought your camper from them. I know everyone wants to save money but are you willing to do this if there are problems like we have had?
Old 02-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcts43 View Post
Does anyone know if FR, reads this Forum? It would be a great tool for them. Free information. To FR, this could be like a research and development tool. Just thinking.
Most likely not, but can't say for sure. I have talked to people at Forest River on the phone and i have talked to Factory Reps at Rv shows about some of my concerns but seems that they tell you what you want to hear, but i have not seen any real changes..... Just pick one item that has been a problem now for some time......Concertone.....I don't think they have to read this forum to know what is going on, they should be keeping a record of all of there returns and warrenty work, this a good way to set up an S.P.C. program.