Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #1

Quality, Warranty and General Product Questions

Been a long while since we have looked at buying a new RV. Quick to find out that there are only a couple of manufactures remaining in the RV Manufacture business. Many different brand names, but only a couple of manufactures. And of course Forest River has to be near the largest if not the largest.

We were looking at a 2013 Wild Cat 5th wheel, but after reading through the sub forum of Wild Cat we felt it best to go another direction. It seems that even though FR builds many different brand names, not all seem to have the same quality, respect and dealer support in warranty as others.

One that we are looking at now is a Flagstaff Classic that is used, but never used. So it is a new in aspect, but used in classification of being a new vs used trailer.

So does anyone have the knowledge as to if the warranty of a Flagstaff trailer transfers from one owner to another? And, what is the warranty from Forest River.

I have read a number of post where owners has said that if they had a problem with their Forest River product and took it to a dealership that sold FR, but not the actual brand of rv they owned that the dealer would/could not do warranty repairs on their trailer. Does anyone have a reverse story that they have experienced with this?

Does a new owner need to figure in to the cost of buying automatic replacement of the tires? I know this can be a touchy subject, but in real world experience do the factory supplied tires have a history of problems?

For any of you who own or have owned a Flagstaff Classic trailer, any advice, or experiances you would care to share. Would you do it again or go another direction?

Thank you all so very much in advance for your honest feedback and opinions.
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #2

FWIW: We are not new to RVs. We have been thru pop-up campers, truck campers, trailers, 5th wheels, class C, Class A gas and Class A diesel pushers.

But at this time we are looking to go something in the 30' trailer range and start camping with the grandkids. While we could do this with our current motorhome, I would feel more comfortable with a trailer where the drivers seat, air horn, ignition and all those bells and whistles don't attract a wee little one like a magnet to a frig door...LOL!!!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #3

If you are looking for child proof, keep looking. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If you are looking for child proof, keep looking. Youroo!!
Well I know child proof ain't going to ever happen. But, in the blink of an eye I have see what the grand sons can do with a marker of sorts and a little imagination. I just rather not see it happen in our motor home and it's leather furniture. The other grand son seems to be drawn to the air horn, scare the daylight out of the neighbors miniature donkeys.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
One that we are looking at now is a Flagstaff Classic that is used, but never used. So it is a new in aspect, but used in classification of being a new vs used trailer.

So does anyone have the knowledge as to if the warranty of a Flagstaff trailer transfers from one owner to another? And, what is the warranty from Forest River.
The warranty does not transfer. Occasionally FR and the component manufacturers will step up to the plate, but they're not required to do so. You should likely explore a 3rd party warranty.

Quote:
I have read a number of post where owners has said that if they had a problem with their Forest River product and took it to a dealership that sold FR, but not the actual brand of rv they owned that the dealer would/could not do warranty repairs on their trailer. Does anyone have a reverse story that they have experienced with this?
I had a Dometic toilet replaced under Dometic's warranty. There are a lot of dealers who will do the work. But the RV industry standard is nothing like the car industry. No dealer is required to do the work.

Quote:
Does a new owner need to figure in to the cost of buying automatic replacement of the tires? I know this can be a touchy subject, but in real world experience do the factory supplied tires have a history of problems?
It seems to be hit or miss here. Some swear by getting new tires, other travel until their tires age out without issue. I got a good 4,000+ miles out of my original tires before a nail got one and a bubble (warrantied by the tire supplier) got another. I'm still torn if I'd immediately buy new tires on a new camper.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
FWIW: We are not new to RVs. We have been thru pop-up campers, truck campers, trailers, 5th wheels, class C, Class A gas and Class A diesel pushers.

But at this time we are looking to go something in the 30' trailer range and start camping with the grandkids. While we could do this with our current motorhome, I would feel more comfortable with a trailer where the drivers seat, air horn, ignition and all those bells and whistles don't attract a wee little one like a magnet to a frig door...LOL!!!
My daughter was 7 when we got the pop-up and 8 when we got the fifth wheel. My son was 1 1/2 months old when we got the fifth wheel and started traveling. Baby-proofing a camper is much like a home- you look for the things that they an hurt themselves on and try to mitigate it as much as possible.

We secure our entry screen door by flipping the grab handle over it when we have the main door open. It blocks the screen door from being able to open.

We have also put a piece of plexiglass (acrylic) over the screen to keep junior from pushing through.

All outlets get outlet covers.

We are aware of what cords hang where and what they're connected to.

We have strict, "no playing on the entry stairs" rules when he is outside.

And fire ring safety is a whole new ball of wax for us.

Tags
warranty