Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2019, 12:05 AM   #1

Question about Andersen Hitch

Hi folks. This week I ordered the above hitch. Today I carefully followed the directions and installed the hitch. Took it for a test drive and it rode really nice.

However, the truck looks level but the front of the camper looks too high. So the question is: is the correct action to lower the ball or is it to do something with the chains?

Thanks,
Rob
robbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:33 AM   #2

What most may say is to go get weighed and see what is going on with your weight distribution. However, if you’re truck is looking level, my opinion is that the chain tension is correct. I have an Andersen and if what you describe was happening to me, I would lower the ball. How far off is it? Did you measure your trailer clearance (frame to road) front and back? If the difference is minimal (less than one inch or so) take it for a ride and see how it feels.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbecky View Post
Hi folks. This week I ordered the above hitch.
Andersen makes a lot of different hitches, which one do you have?

Ok, I looked in your profile and see that you have a Vibe 251 listed, so I assume that you have the Andersen WDH. (would have been easier of you'd have put the hitch model in the post or the RV model in your profile)

If that's the case I'd follow MarinerJoe's advice and make sure it's set correctly and adjust the ball height as required.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #4

X3, adjust the ball height. Also, note that the purpose of the WDH isn't to get your truck to look level, it's to place weight back on the front axle for better control.

Follow the truck owner's manual to determine how much height/weight to put back on the front axle when hitched with a WDH, the measurement only involves measuring the height of the front fender, nothing to do with the rear, and eyeballing it isn't going to get you the proper results.

I went from a Fastway e2 (Towed around 6,000 miles with it) to an Andersen (towed a few hundred miles or so with it so far) because the weight of the e2 hitch head was killing my back. The ease of adjustment with the Andersen is simply amazing compared to other WDHs, you can dial it in without much effort which is great.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerjoe View Post
if you’re truck is looking level, my opinion is that the chain tension is correct. I have an Andersen and if what you describe was happening to me, I would lower the ball.

I concur... been using an Andersen WDH and you should consider raising or lower the ball to get your trailer right... you want it just a taste higher in front, not much... definitely not lower in front
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:31 PM   #6

As stated by the others above, I concur that your solution is most likely to be to lower the ball. Check out the installation manual and do the measurements on the ball and the trailer as well as the front fenders of the tow vehicle to verify your decision.
We love the Andersen hitch and I'm glad we got it.
Andersen WDH
JROtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrosecity View Post
I concur... been using an Andersen WDH and you should consider raising or lower the ball to get your trailer right... you want it just a taste higher in front, not much... definitely not lower in front
If you're referring to the trailer, that is incorrect. You want to avoid the trailer being nose-high, level or slightly nose-down will help prevent sway. Being nose-high can result in sway because the tongue wants to "fall" to one side or the other. Being level or slightly nose down helps stability.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:26 AM   #8

Wanted to let you all know I installed the Andersen hitch and boy am I glad I did. I can't necessarily say it handles way better than my Curt WD hitch with two friction sway control bars. But boy is it easier to hook up and unhook. I am very happy with it. Thanks for the advice I was given in the forum. :-)
STS TPMS
robbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch