Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2017, 04:04 PM   #1

Question about exterior design

I have been casually shopping and am wondering why all the newer RVs and 5th wheels are painted with the same design. There are variations of color but all pretty much seem to be that tan and brown swirly design. They all kind of look the same to me and I’m not a huge fan. It seems like other colors or designs are limited or are really hard to find. Is there a reason for this design or is it just in fashion?
Ccase39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:11 PM   #2

No reason really. Just lack of design creativity. Look at the interiors. Looks like they hired 1st year design interns to do it. Most of the colors don't even really go together.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:35 PM   #3
clr

All RV's are basically a box that rolls down the highway. The patterns and swirls and such are used to help break up the view of the box. Much the same idea that was used for the paint scheme of WW1 war ships. Same idea as auto designers trying to make the car look like it is going fast when it was stopped.

You might get rich if you come up with a new and different scheme.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:45 PM   #4
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Tans & browns go with whatever color your tow rig may be. The swirls and swooshes are there to break up the lines.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:49 PM   #5

Very easy to satisfy Any Design You Desire,just contact a "Wrap Shop" with a Computer they can "Grant Your Wish"! Youroo!!
Old 12-27-2017, 05:58 PM   #6

Cars all the same. SUV's all the same. Trucks are all different.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #7
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccase39 View Post
I have been casually shopping and am wondering why all the newer RVs and 5th wheels are painted with the same design. There are variations of color but all pretty much seem to be that tan and brown swirly design. They all kind of look the same to me and I’m not a huge fan. It seems like other colors or designs are limited or are really hard to find. Is there a reason for this design or is it just in fashion?
Manufacturers seem to settle on a design theme and use that throughout their range. Not necessarily a bad thing, helps other users spot a member of the 'family', someone they can talk to about the same problems and failures they have.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:33 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Cars all the same. SUV's all the same. Trucks are all different.
This thread is about "all the newer RVs and 5th wheels". OP is not talking about cars, trucks, SUVs.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:45 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
If you order a unit, you can typically order it naked.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:06 PM   #10
Scoundrel

Quote:
They all kind of look the same to me and I’m not a huge fan. It seems like other colors or designs are limited or are really hard to find. Is there a reason for this design or is it just in fashion?
Economy of scale...

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:01 AM   #11
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
If you order a unit, you can typically order it naked.
At this time of year, now that's cruel. Besides, I doubt you would get much further than the front door before someone either throws you a rug or tosses you in the back of the squad car.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
At this time of year, now that's cruel. Besides, I doubt you would get much further than the front door before someone either throws you a rug or tosses you in the back of the squad car.
That should be on the funny page.
4daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:52 PM   #13

They have designs on them instead of just blank white or gray so that people don't go road blind and attempt to turn into you. The white or gray might blend into the sky and eventually someone to your side will stop noticing you are there. At least thats the explanation I've read.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:18 PM   #14

Seems that you can look at most of the manufactures and find almost the exact same floor plans throughout the industry. Sometimes I think it's one design team that does every RV produced.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:49 PM   #15
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
They have designs on them instead of just blank white or gray so that people don't go road blind and attempt to turn into you. The white or gray might blend into the sky and eventually someone to your side will stop noticing you are there. At least thats the explanation I've read.
Why would someone try to turn into a big blank wall,which would be pretty much the same thing. Then again, the news always has plenty of examples of that, so maybe your are right. I was thinking of selling my wall space for advertising, with blinking lights and all.

Tags
exterior