Old 06-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #11

My 5er was 2 years old... ap. $30k to $18.5k.... but it seems they have gone up alot in the last couple years... the previous owner was OCD

Old 06-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #12

I had the same issue with used. They all seemed to have a bad smell inside as well. We decided to go new after looking for months

Old 06-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #13

Really it just depends..... no cut & dry answer.... depends on the camper type & size & the area & the availability of new ones & how much they went up....... Deals can be had here because jobs went overseas & many unemployed.

But our son had to sell theirs one year after they bought it he only lost $500 in price but he got a great deal on it new. But it was in the lower price end at $15500.

But when we bought the 2006 in 2008 the economy had tanked & we we able to buy a two year old, only used several times, @ several thousand under new and the dealer threw in the fifth wheel hitch. It was like new condition. It sat on the dealers lot for a year due to the bad economy...... If I had the truck I have now I could have bought a new three year old Sabre at dealer cost. No one in this area wanted a big trailer.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #14

Thanks for the replies. I am having a hard time deciding what to do. There aren't too many used ones around for sale. I don't really think the warranty is much of an issue unless I get a real lemon. It seems to me that a trailer is going to have only so many useful years in it and if I start with a 5+ year old one, I can expect more maintenance issues sooner. The large FR dealer in Omaha is pricing new units cheaper than anything I can find used.

This last question may seen strange but...... Is a Cherokee Grey Wolf comparable to a Vengeance or XLR in construction and serviceability in hauling a couple dirt bikes and 2 people. I'm not concerned in the creature comforts just build quality and materials used. The extra price for "nicer" interiors seems like a lot. We are coming from tenting and I think the basics will seem very nice to us. Again sorry for the goofy questions.

Thanks,
Murf
Old 06-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am having a hard time deciding what to do. There aren't too many used ones around for sale. I don't really think the warranty is much of an issue unless I get a real lemon. It seems to me that a trailer is going to have only so many useful years in it and if I start with a 5+ year old one, I can expect more maintenance issues sooner. The large FR dealer in Omaha is pricing new units cheaper than anything I can find used.

This last question may seen strange but...... Is a Cherokee Grey Wolf comparable to a Vengeance or XLR in construction and serviceability in hauling a couple dirt bikes and 2 people. I'm not concerned in the creature comforts just build quality and materials used. The extra price for "nicer" interiors seems like a lot. We are coming from tenting and I think the basics will seem very nice to us. Again sorry for the goofy questions.

Thanks,
Murf

OHHH... one more thing. We looked at "lots" or dealers to find a TT...we weren't looking for a FW. DW was opposed to a FW because of head space in BR. We looked at one on a "chance" and it had enough room. I am only 6 ft. so i didn't need a ton of room.

One more thing... well two more.... the units at the dealer lots were just junk... all had things wrong with them(ones in our price range). I wanted to spend 10K or less...my first trailer. We paid almost 20K..go figure.
The next is... we were coming back from OK having been trailer shopping and had passed the for sale by owner FW several times...literally. DW points it out and said...We should stop...I said ok, but we cannot afford it....
Old 06-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #16

When we were looking for 5th wheels, I was amazed at how well they seemed to hold there value. We decided to order one, we picked the colors, floor style appliance colors, changed the convertible couch from fabric to pleather material, and it was still cheaper than I good find a good used one for by me. Now the used ones I looked at were not of the same manufacturer, but we got what fit our needs. I only had to drive 850 miles to pick it up, then drive back 850 miles, and I never towed a 5th wheel before. But I figured it out real quick...lol
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #17

Murf, we went through the same thing. We set out to buy a used toy hauler and found that the only real initial savings was to buy a piece of crap that wasn't worth dragging home which in turn would cost a ton to make decent and buy the time all said and done, you would have new toy hauler money tied up in a 5-8 year old trailer. We bought new 6 weeks ago and are now in the middle of trading it in on a bigger unit and I feel like I am coming out alright on my trade in.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #18
Who Dares, Wins

We had a Rockwood TT and "downgraded" to a larger Grey Wolf. I think the Grey Wolf is put together just as well if not better than my Rockwood was for 10,000 cheaper. I thing they are all the same (unless you go really $$). The same people practically make them all anymore and they all have the same floor plans so it seems with different decals.

But with that said they all have their good and bad. The Rockwoods' bed was not fully supported (think twin bed frame under a Queen mattress) and molding and such was always coming off due to using staples on everything. The Grey wolf has no lower light switches anywhere other than on the lights themselves or up about 5 feet off the ground by the main door. So no good for a 2.5 year old during a mid-night potty run. But for the money I'll add the switch to the bathroom.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote