Old 06-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #1

Question about perceived value.

Hi all, I'm new here. I just posted in the welcome mat. I am in the market for a TT or maybe a TH. I have a couple of questions that should apply to either so I didn't post in each separate forum.

1. Within the FR line up, does the quality of the basic trailers get better as you go up through the model line up? For example, is the frame of a Grey Wolf of lesser strength to a comparable size Shockwave? I understand that the finishes and such are nicer but as to the mechanical aspect, what are the differences if any. Are stoves, furnaces, electrical components pretty much the same quality with all the comparable units?

2. I generally believe in buying used and letting the first guy take the depreciation. In shopping late model used units I have found people asking prices close to what the larger dealers advertise for new units. Is this a fairly common occurrence ? Is there some trick to the lower prices advertised by the large discount dealers or did some sellers just pay too much upfront?

Any tips on getting started would be welcome. We are long time tenter's and are wanting a few more comforts as we get older.

Thanks!
Murf

Old 06-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
Hi all, I'm new here. I just posted in the welcome mat. I am in the market for a TT or maybe a TH. I have a couple of questions that should apply to either so I didn't post in each separate forum.

1. Within the FR line up, does the quality of the basic trailers get better as you go up through the model line up? For example, is the frame of a Grey Wolf of lesser strength to a comparable size Shockwave? I understand that the finishes and such are nicer but as to the mechanical aspect, what are the differences if any. Are stoves, furnaces, electrical components pretty much the same quality with all the comparable units?

2. I generally believe in buying used and letting the first guy take the depreciation. In shopping late model used units I have found people asking prices close to what the larger dealers advertise for new units. Is this a fairly common occurrence ? Is there some trick to the lower prices advertised by the large discount dealers or did some sellers just pay too much upfront?

Any tips on getting started would be welcome. We are long time tenter's and are wanting a few more comforts as we get older.

Thanks!
Murf
When we were looking at used units- we ran into the same thing. Units priced at what the brand new ones were. Basically, people were trying to sell them so they didn't have to make the payments but they still owed basically everything they borrowed due to the short time of the loan. So, they wanted the buyer to pay the pay off of the loan and not what the unit is actually worth.

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Trailers designated as "lite" or "ultralite" have 8" thin fabricated I beams.
Non lite and non ultralight tt and 5th wheels including toy haulers generally have a "true" 11" I beam.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
Old 06-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #4

For question #1, I think you'll find some of both, meaning - all wood framed, metal sided trailers are probably pretty similar in construction, all laminated construction fiberglass ultra-lights are built similarly. So you may find similar ultra-lights where one model has nicer finishes and a higher price, despite being of similar construction.

Then across most of the tt's you will find the same appliances and components in many cases. Companies like FR tend to use a limited number of suppliers, so the microwave, water heater, AC is likely to be the same or at least a different model from the same manufacturer in most of their units.

For question #2 - One or to year old travel trailers don't seem to have a lot of price difference from new units. I've had good luck on getting deals on 2-3 year old cars. Doesn't seem to be worth it with trailers. I'd rather have a new unit with a factory warranty - as the warranty doesn't transfer beyond the original owner, at least with FR.

Good luck in your search!

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #5

I own mine, outright... I will be selling it next spring. No loan for the next guy to inherit... And, I will do just that... look at used units (comps, they're called in the real estate market) and price my unit to sell, just below what the dealers are selling similar, used TTs for. Some people neglect TTs and just park them in a field, and never inspect them or work on them at all... then wonder why they leak or this or that doesn't work. That's not the case with mine. It's in covered storage, and has been since new. It's got upgrades and all the bugs are worked out... it has none of the problems that a new unit will have... that I'll have to fix when I buy it... because the "techs" at RV shop aren't really... techs. So... if you come upon a unit like mine, that's basically better than new because all the problems are gone... you'll be fortunate. However someone with enough salt to keep one up probably has enough to figure out what it's worth.

My problem will be that FR has kept my floor plan, but downgraded it from their now discontinued, premium "Surveyor Select" to the Sport series line, and also downgraded the price... and quality... I will be competing with new models that cost about $4,000- less than mine new. Buyers won't generally care about my upgrades or the factory upgrades that cost me more. I'm sure I'll take more of a hit than I should normally because of that.

Another problem you'll encounter is people going online and looking at NADA for used RV prices... I've used them for car/truck trade values, but they seem to be very generous toward the owners of used RVs... The values stated seem to be very inflated. Keep in mind that someone selling a trailer usually wants to be rid of it pretty quick... so make an offer as to what YOU think it's worth.

What anything is worth is what the seller can get for it... nothing more... nothing less.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:11 PM   #6
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Also you will find dealer used prices almost higher than normal compared to what they give for trade-in allowance. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies! Is there anywhere online that you can find realy information on the construction of the trailers? The "specifications" page on FR doesn't really tell anything about axles, electrical equipment, etc or does one have to check out each trailer on his own to find out what it's built with?

Thanks again for all the replies.
Murf
Old 06-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #8
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Recent used, 1-2 years old, you may get a couple thousand off, but one of the real benefits is that most of the annoying stuff has already been fixed.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #9
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I have found Lippert is one of the main supplier for Axels and exterior electrical equipment. Lippert often will not supply the smaller parts (complete leg vs a bevel gear). Subcontracting often leads to the unavailable pieces from companies that fold.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:00 PM   #10
KJPapa

New vs. Used

Just my opinion, but I believe if you can find a used one that is one to two years old and has been taken care of well it is worth at least as much as what you would would pay for a new one from a dealer with a good discount. I have owned four units in the last few years, the first two new, and the last two were one to two year old used ones. The two used ones were available for me to camp in considerably more the first year I had them than the new ones were. That is because of all the frustrating things that go wrong that require time on the dealer lot waiting for repairs on the new one during its first year.

It seems that that warranty they give you on a new one is really just a part of the manufacturers quality inspection. Let the new owner find the problems and we will fix them at that time. I don't know if I will ever buy new again. As I started the post with, "just my opinion."