Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #1

Question for those with King Quest and DTV

Been trying to do some research on this since we just got DTV in our home, but getting a bit confused. I just purchased a used D12-500 SD box off ebay which is what the guy that installed DTV in our home said to use along with the Quest.

My question is will we still receive HD channels and see them in SD? From what I have read, it sounds like it will only pickup SD channels. In that case it wouldn't be worth the expense since 80% of DTV channels are broadcast in HD, and we have little to no interest in those particular channels.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
Been trying to do some research on this since we just got DTV in our home, but getting a bit confused. I just purchased a used D12-500 SD box off ebay which is what the guy that installed DTV in our home said to use along with the Quest.

My question is will we still receive HD channels and see them in SD? From what I have read, it sounds like it will only pickup SD channels. In that case it wouldn't be worth the expense since 80% of DTV channels are broadcast in HD, and we have little to no interest in those particular channels.
Your quest is SD only.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
Your quest is SD only.
So it won't even display HD channels in SD? If that is the case, I will have to find another option. I don't care about HD, but just want a larger selection of channels.

Old 11-23-2017, 02:40 PM   #4

Quote:
So it won't even display HD channels in SD? If that is the case, I will have to find another option. I don't care about HD, but just want a larger selection of channels.
Sure it will! With the exception of local channels. DTV will NOT change local channels but once a year! All other channels will be SD!
To view ABC,CBS,NBC or FOX networks you'll have to use your standard anntena!
Old 11-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Sure it will! With the exception of local channels. DTV will NOT change local channels but once a year! All other channels will be SD!
To view ABC,CBS,NBC or FOX networks you'll have to use your standard anntena!
THAT is what I wanted to know......thanks! We don't watch local channels much, just mainly concerned about movie channels, Fox News, OAN, BBC, etc.
Thanks again.

Old 11-23-2017, 04:46 PM   #6

Quote:
THAT is what I wanted to know......thanks! We don't watch local channels much, just mainly concerned about movie channels, Fox News, OAN, BBC, etc.
Thanks again. [emoji106]
You betcha!
Old 11-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #7

For the MH I use a 18" SD dish with a SD receiver and I get Fox News 360, OAN 347, etc. On my home Directv slim line HD dish and HD receiver, channels are the same 347, 360, etc.
I have heard that Directv will be phasing out the SD channels though starting in 2019.
OAN is the best.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
For the MH I use a 18" SD dish with a SD receiver and I get Fox News 360, OAN 347, etc. On my home Directv slim line HD dish and HD receiver, channels are the same 347, 360, etc.
I have heard that Directv will be phasing out the SD channels though starting in 2019.
OAN is the best.
Besides wanting satellite for the fiver, OAN is the main reason we switched from our cable provider to Directv over Dish Network. It was the only way we could get it in our area.
Its a great, no-nonsense news station.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #9

Quote:

First, try the SD. I think I get all the channels, just not in HD. WE GET TWO TO THREE HUNDRED. NEXT or maybe bigger problem. I bought a "new" used unit from eBay and dtv refused to activate it. Claimed it was "on lease" already.. Nice now I know why the seller indicated NO RETURNS

GOOD LUCK
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
First, try the SD. I think I get all the channels, just not in HD. WE GET TWO TO THREE HUNDRED. NEXT or maybe bigger problem. I bought a "new" used unit from eBay and dtv refused to activate it. Claimed it was "on lease" already.. Nice now I know why the seller indicated NO RETURNS

GOOD LUCK
Was that the Quest or the receiver that was new/used? I didn't think the antenna's mattered where they come from. I have a cheap D12 SD receiver on its way from an ebay seller. It is what my DTV installer recommended I do for the RV.

DTV told me I would just have to get an activation card for it from an AT&T store. But the closest one to me is an hour away, so I may just get it from DTV themselves.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Was that the Quest or the receiver that was new/used? I didn't think the antenna's mattered where they come from. I have a cheap D12 SD receiver on its way from an ebay seller. It is what my DTV installer recommended I do for the RV.

DTV told me I would just have to get an activation card for it from an AT&T store. But the closest one to me is an hour away, so I may just get it from DTV themselves.
Quest is great. Jet.com was cheapest full price the week I got it.

The Ebay seller basically sold me a receiver that belongs to dtv on lease to him or whoever he got it from. They would not activate it for me.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Quest is great. Jet.com was cheapest full price the week I got it.

The Ebay seller basically sold me a receiver that belongs to dtv on lease to him or whoever he got it from. They would not activate it for me.
I hope I don't have that issue. For $23, it won't be worth it to send it back for a refund since most ebay sellers won't pay return shipping.

On another note, a Winegard Carryout Anser popped up on Craigslist and I will be picking it up in the morning. I couldn't resist the price of $200 with power inverter, 50ft cord (they come with 25ft), manual and folding stand. It was used for two summers and the owners sold their RV due to health issues.

I still really like the King Quest, but can't beat $200 vs $500 with stand.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:24 AM   #13

Quote:

I bought 2 receivers on Ebay from a company that guaranteed they had the original cards. DTV activated them immediately without question!
Old 11-25-2017, 06:32 AM   #14

Quote:
I hope I don't have that issue. For $23, it won't be worth it to send it back for a refund since most ebay sellers won't pay return shipping.

On another note, a Winegard Carryout Anser popped up on Craigslist and I will be picking it up in the morning. I couldn't resist the price of $200 with power inverter, 50ft cord (they come with 25ft), manual and folding stand. It was used for two summers and the owners sold their RV due to health issues.

I still really like the King Quest, but can't beat $200 vs $500 with stand.
You didn't shop very well. I got mine for 3 something online! I love it except for the local channel thing. Had a difficult time getting my antennae in the right position.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:30 AM   #15

I have a D12-100 receiver in my home setup that I use in the basement rec room. When its time to go, I just disconnect it and put it in the MH. I have all the connecting wires ready in both locations for the receiver. I think the extra receiver charge for the SD receiver is $7/month and I get support if needed. I had a DTV technician at the house one time and he checked the MH setup and even changed a couple wire ends for me no charge. I have not done this because I do not watch network tv, but I heard that if you call DTV you can change the zip code for one of the receivers so you can get locals while on the road.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
I have a D12-100 receiver in my home setup that I use in the basement rec room. When its time to go, I just disconnect it and put it in the MH. I have all the connecting wires ready in both locations for the receiver. I think the extra receiver charge for the SD receiver is $7/month and I get support if needed. I had a DTV technician at the house one time and he checked the MH setup and even changed a couple wire ends for me no charge. I have not done this because I do not watch network tv, but I heard that if you call DTV you can change the zip code for one of the receivers so you can get locals while on the road.
You heard wrong! You talked about the receiver, but nothing about the sat antennae for your MH? Sorry, went back and read about the 18" SD dish. I haven't had much success finding the satellites properly. But that was the for DTV installed HD dish I had to move when I changed campgrounds. Ended up having DTV install the dish anyhow.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:31 AM   #17

Quote:
You didn't shop very well. I got mine for 3 something online! I love it except for the local channel thing. Had a difficult time getting my antennae in the right position.
I ALWAYS shop well. The lowest price I could find for the Quest was Amazon at $394. Like I said, that $500 is also including the stand for $89 plus possibly the carry bag for another $39 which pushes it well over $500.

The used Winegard Anser has both those accessories plus the power inverter for $200. That is what I was comparing the prices to.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #18

Quote:
I ALWAYS shop well. The lowest price I could find for the Quest was Amazon at $394. Like I said, that $500 is also including the stand for $89 plus possibly the carry bag for another $39 which pushes it well over $500.

The used Winegard Anser has both those accessories plus the power inverter for $200. That is what I was comparing the prices to.
I see! But I'm a little confused. Did you purchase the quest and have also got the used antennae too?? I decided that a stand would be an invitation to steal the whole setup. Instead, I got the quick disconnect roof mount and a very secure lock. Worked great at 7 campgrounds in Sept.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #19

Quote:
I see! But I'm a little confused. Did you purchase the quest and have also got the used antennae too?? I decided that a stand would be an invitation to steal the whole setup. Instead, I got the quick disconnect roof mount and a very secure lock. Worked great at 7 campgrounds in Sept.
Actually, I was surfing the net trying to find information and best price on the Quest when I came across the used Winegard on CL. So no, I did not purchase the Quest and will be heading out in an hour or so to pick up the Winegard.

Can't put ours on top as it is already very tight in our RV cover. I have a long cable with loops on the end to lock the dish to the RV or anything else if I need to.