Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2015, 07:56 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Couple of things to consider.
Fuel economy drops drastically as you increase speed. My gas 6.0L gets best balance on my Class-C at 60 - 62 mph.

Second is the speed rating of tires.

ST type tires have a 65 mph max
LT and TBR have 75 mph max based on publications from most tire companies.

You should consider tire speed rating like the red line on an engine. While it is possible to exceed the red liine you will be doing permanent and cumulative damage. Slowing down later does not "fix" the structural damage any more than putting a burnt hot dog back in the fridge "un-burns" it.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:29 PM   #22

conceptumator I agree with you 100%, ours does best at 65mph.
DAPYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #23

I travel 55 to 60 towing an Ford Edge on a tow dolly and I get 8 MPG(avg) with a FR 364ts. I like to enjoy the ride and let the others pass. I'm in no hurry to get anywhere.
Roger2650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:41 PM   #24

We just got back from a trip out to the Dakotas. Speed limits away from cities was 80mph. Ran 65 in our little toad Smart Car. We were passed by rigs of every kind running at 80mph or higher. Roll on, brudda, roll on. Hope you get where you're going in one piece without taking someone else out...

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:17 PM   #25

We don't tow anything so I simply stay within the limits...speedo signs or whatever seems safe. I'm sure I'm hurting gas mileage on the interstates...but on the flats....65-70 is as fast as I like to go.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Couple of things to consider.
Fuel economy drops drastically as you increase speed. My gas 6.0L gets best balance on my Class-C at 60 - 62 mph.

Second is the speed rating of tires.

ST type tires have a 65 mph max
LT and TBR have 75 mph max based on publications from most tire companies.

You should consider tire speed rating like the red line on an engine. While it is possible to exceed the red liine you will be doing permanent and cumulative damage. Slowing down later does not "fix" the structural damage any more than putting a burnt hot dog back in the fridge "un-burns" it.
X2!
You should see the damage a blown tire can cause to a diesel pusher! Not a cheap mistake!
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:29 PM   #27

I am concerned about the high speeds exhibited by RVers on the roads and interstates. I use my cruise control at 55 MPH mostly and have rarely hit 60 MPH unless downhill and backing off. Uphill is as much as the 3.5 Tach will allow and mostly try to stay at 2 RPM. I am driving a 2001 FR Windsong with a Triton V-10 and have had two blown plugs repaired in 32,000 miles. Some states require minimums on interstates and freeways of 40 or 45 MPH. Off main roads onto 2 lanes, 45 is usually safer. The main problem some do not pay attention too is the stopping distances especially when towing. Always looking for to avoid the vehicles or objects in the front as the toad follows and do not want to jack-knife or roll this box. Besides who needs to be in such a hurry that a few minutes and 10 miles per hour brings by pressing down on the pedal?
djmathat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #28

I travel the speed limit. Maybe 5 over at times. Never have I felt unsafe. My coach is built on a truck chassis. I don't overload it either.
I've driven about any kind of vehicle that is on the road. Including tractor trailer combinations.

To me I feel safer traveling with or near the speed of the traffic. When I get caught behind someone running 55 on an interstate with 70 MPH limit I really don't like that feeling. Car scooting by +15 MPH. Is an uneasy feeling to me.

Each to their own but I feel like my coach is extremely safe running the speed limits.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome