Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #1

Questions About A Certain Tire

I have Goodyear Wrangler AT/S P265/70R17 Standard load rating on my truck, I want to change them out to a load rated "E" tire but keep the same size. I have been checking prices on two different tires at this time and the first one is the Goodyear Aurmor tires, it is my understanding that this tire are top of the line and so is the price about $1,600 for 5 tires, I all so check into another tire made by Goodyear but they are made for Wal-Mart and BJ's only and they are the Goodyear Authority tires and 5 of those are $1,200 now is there any one here on the forum or does anyone know anyone that knows the backgound of the Authority tires.....Pro's and Con's. the price on both of thses tire is complete and out the door....I need to come up with a plan soon and here is the reason:

I pick up my new camper about 3 weeks ago and it had to go right into storage so it has not been used yet. My 22 year old son is in the US Army and is station in Georgia at Fort Stewart he will be leaving on the 12th of Febuary for his second tour in Afgan and will be gone for a year so we want to spend some time with him. Now when we pick up the camper I towed it from State College to Hanover PA with the tire that are on it now and did not have any problems so this trip to Georgia will be the first trip with the new camper, now i have been told that I will be ok but the tires will wear out faster, but that is not what I am concern about, I am looking at a safety stand point I guess in my mine the question is will I'll be ok just this one time with out having time to really check into the right tires.

"E" are the way I am going to go,... thanks in advance for any input
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Are you kidding me?

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor P265/70R17 Tire: Tough Traction - Sears

1600 bucks for junk tires? 41,000 just got recalled....

Goodyear recalls thousands of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires | Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.

These tires are the best truck tires for your application IMO.
LTX M/S2 | Michelin Tires

Michelin LTX A/S Light Truck Tire - Walmart.com
Wal-Mart carries these E rated tires for $232 each...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #3

The Goodyear tires that come on the ford f-150 s are junk as they won't last 25000 miles. I heard too many of the same complaints when I sold them.
Chip2830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Are you kidding me?

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor P265/70R17 Tire: Tough Traction - Sears

1600 bucks for junk tires? 41,000 just got recalled....

Goodyear recalls thousands of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires | Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.

These tires are the best truck tires for your application IMO.
LTX M/S2 | Michelin Tires

Michelin LTX A/S Light Truck Tire - Walmart.com
Wal-Mart carries these E rated tires for $232 each...
No kiidden, For some reason and I don't know why but I thought to myself and I am glade I did "ask the Forum" about this Thanks a millon, I will check into the Michelin, as a matter of fact when I talk to Sears about a different tire and the Michelin M/S2 was mention, the other thing I ask about on the Goodyear tires was the date code on the Aumor tires and the date code was 4912, the date code on the Goodyear Authority tires from Wal-mart were a year old.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip2830 View Post
The Goodyear tires that come on the ford f-150 s are junk as they won't last 25000 miles. I heard too many of the same complaints when I sold them.
The tires that came on my truck are the ones I had mention in the beginning of this thread, now I was told that I would not see 35,000 miles out of these tires but that info was wrong, I have 46,000 miles on my truck and I check the tire pressure on a regular bases and have the tires rotated about 10 to 15 00 miles now I don't know how long they will last but they do look really good. Up until last September I was tow a 8314ss Rockwood and I have been from Deep Creek Lake in Western MD to Disney World in Florida and I must say the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S have worked out well.

Now the reason for the tire change out is because I am now towing a 5th wheel and not a travel trailer.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Don't know what to tell ya, Rock.
Shop around for the Michelin LTX MS2 E rated tires and you will find a place with late dates and a good price.

I will not hesitate to buy them again.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Don't know what to tell ya, Rock.
Shop around for the Michelin LTX MS2 E rated tires and you will find a place with late dates and a good price.

I will not hesitate to buy them again.
herk, thanks for your input and the links, I was just reading them and watching the vidio and now I am going to contact wal-mart right down the street from me....
Old 01-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

I'm with everybody else, I will not buy another goodyear vehicle tire. I have had the Wrangler hp and Eagle Ls2 on the dw's tahoe and have had nothing but problems- from broke bands (7 out of 8 tires bands broke) to flats(I know could happen to any of them, just seems to happen more with GY) to tires just slowly leaking out air.
I have had very good luck with Kumho road venture at/s, Hankook dynapro M/t, and Nitto terra grappler and trail grapplers.
Of course the mts will wear quicker- the kumhos we got about 70k+ miles from them.
You should be able to buy a good set of 10ply tires in that size between $700-1000 installed - Check Discount tire, they have great prices and great service!
Good luck!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #9

Thanks for the advise............
Old 01-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #10

Michelins are excellent ! I went more budgety and got Hankooks !

Tire Details - Discount Tire

But I think they do not have it available at your size. Cost me 620 dollars installed. Excellent tire, low noise, grabs the road just fine. Its wet traction is not the best, but it is pretty good in snow. I will most probably go with the same tire when these are done. I believe I put around 40,000 miles on them and they are still performing almost like the first day.

If you can afford the Michelins, go for them ....
Old 01-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
Wanna Be Camper

I have had BFG longtrails, Yokohama Geolander AT/S, Hankook Dynapro AT/M and currently have Michelin LTX AT2's. The Michelins are OK as were all the others except the Yokohamas. My favorites would be Nitto Terra Grapplers and as soon as the Michelins are worn out they will be on the truck. I had goodyears on my 04 Ram 1500 and had 13 flats in 15 months till I finally got rid of them for BFG longtrails.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #12

I recently put a set of load range E Michelin LTX A/T 275/70-18 tires on my F-250 for $1,257.00 tax, mounting and balancing included. I have been very happy with them. The truck came with Continentals on it. They rode good, but were worn out by the time the truck had 35,000 miles on it. You get what you pay for when it comes to tires.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote