Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #1

Smile questions on camping and dogs

We are considering buying a Lexington 255 motor home. We have never "camped" before, but feel that we will enjoy doing it. Does anyone have any items that we should consider prior to purchasing a motorhome. We also have 3 large dogs we would need to take with us if we travel for an extended period of time. Is there any issues traveling with large dogs - seems most people have small ones. Any insight anyone can give me would be appreciated.
doglover116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #2

Put us in the small dog category. We have 3 as well. 2 mini Dachshunds and 1 old Bichon. It wasn't ever our intent to have 3 but we just took on a 10 mo old Dachshund as a rescue that was about to go to the pound because the owners couldn't keep her.

You definitely develop techniques. We always keep a box of sandwich baggies at the door for "cleaning up" after them. On a travel day our dogs don't seem to eat much and their stomachs can become upset from the stress so once in a while the inevitable happens and we end up with with well, err, puke. No worries we cover all our furniture and have throw rugs down so it doesn't damage anything. Leather helps too. Actually the incidents of this are few and far in between now.

Gotta love the "furry kids".
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #3

We have 2 Vizslas - one weighs 45lbs and the other weighs about 50lbs. I would say they are medium size dogs. We love traveling with them and they love the RV.

Here's a list of stuff we bring for the dogs:
1. Toys - chew toys because we don't want them chewing up the inside of the RV and we also bring a couple of Chuck-its and Frisbees to exercise them
2. Blankets - they sleep in bed with us and yes, the Queen size bed can get a little crowded - we use the blankets to make beds on the floor in the living room and/or on the sofa.
2. Leashes - we take two sets - two 6-foot web belt style and two 20' Flexi-Leads - we also bring a couple of retractable fixed leashes that we attach to the steps of the RV - keeps them close when other dogs come by
3. Poop bags - lots of poop bags - always be a good neighbor and police your dogs
4. Treats - Greenies and fresh carrots
5. Dog food - enough for your trip
6. Water bowls - one for the inside of the RV and at least one for the outside
7. Medications and first aid kit - we bring benadryl just in case of bee stings or allergy flare ups

Most RV parks and campgrounds are dog friendly and we have never had any issues.

Hope this info helps.
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #4

Oh yes, and to add to NWJeeper's post - we bring Natures Miracle and Get Serious (IMHO - two really good stain and odor removers) along with us to clean up any "accidents." Knock on wood - since we got the rig last Oct there has only been one doggy accident.
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Popes View Post
Oh yes, and to add to NWJeeper's post - we bring Natures Miracle and Get Serious (IMHO - two really good stain and odor removers) along with us to clean up any "accidents." Knock on wood - since we got the rig last Oct there has only been one doggy accident.
Ohhh, good point. We carry spot cleaner too, as well as all the other necessary "puppy paraphernalia". Need to get some of the enzyme cleaner for our boat though as we found two kittens in it at the last place we were at. Seems the momma cat had stashed them in there over night and the little ones peed under my helm near the gas pedal! ARGGG!
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 06-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #6

We take one of our Labs (80 lbs & VERY social) with us and board the other one (he is extremely shy and won't walk on a leash despite a fortune spent in training). We use one long training lead tied to something stable, like the picnic table when we are just sitting around the campsite. We have another long training lead for swimming; we want to make sure she comes back to us and doesn't bother anyone else. Also, we have a bed for her to lay on outside if she wants to, but she stays right with us all the time. The Queen bed is a little cramped at night, but she lets find a spot! I believe most campgrounds require you to have proof that all vaccinations are up to date, but we have never been asked to provide the information. As long as your dogs are fairly well behaved and travel well, you will love having them along and they will be happy just to be with you. Go for it!

Don and Laura + Roo
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I travel with three small dogs and bring up the following points for your consideration. I've never had a problem but have seen other people get nailed. The following are not in the pet rules at all campgrounds and are not always enforced unless someone complains, however they are things to consider.
A) Leash lengths are limited to 6'. (Popular)
B) Can't tie your dog up outside. (Usually means unless you are with the dog.)
C) Restrictions against leaving your dogs in your RV while you are not there. (Some tend to bark and go nuts while mommy and daddy are away.)
D) Mandate to clean up after your pet(s). (Popular)
E) Aggressive breeds not allowed. (Popular)
F) Rules against barking dogs that disturb others.

There may also be liability issues if someone (especially small children) decides to wander through your lot and/or to pet the nice doggy and gets bitten. As already mentioned, having documentation of your dog''s vaccinations might save you some grief, especially rabies vaccinations.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #8

We travel with a very indulged West Highland Terrier, she loves to travel and we love to have her along. I think a lot of it is about attitude, we just spent a weekend with a couple with a very large dog. The husband did not want it in their camper and so left it out in the rain all weekend. I had a hard time with this, because I am used to having our dogs right underfoot as part of the family. Our dog likes our Camper because she can sneak into our bed at night by climbing up the dinette area.
One suggestion my mom has given me, (She travels with a huge dog) is to look up the dog parks in each city online. They usually have double gates and are a great way to run off steam.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #9

I wanted to mention to you fellow dog-lovers a campground that is totally dedicated to dogs. It is in the foothills of North Carolina. It is so unique, and we go there as often as we can with our dog. Here's their website. Four Paws Kingdom - The best kept secret for Camping with your Dog! We've met people there from all over the east coast who travel there just to have fun with their dogs.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #10

What a great park Mjones. We looked through their web site. Would love to visit sometime but it's a long drive from the west coast. Hopefully I will remember it in 5 years when I retire.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 06-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #11

yeh, we have to travel with our 4-legged babies, 3 shih-tsu's & 1 cocker spaniel we will have to check-out this place four paws kingdom I believe they would enjoy it about as much (or more) than we will . . . see 'ya soon

-thanks
wlihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:55 AM   #12

Thanks for all the advice. We haven't bought a motorhome yet, but are getting closer to doing something. The dogs are certainly a consideration - smaller dogs would be easier, but they are large and I can't change that!
doglover116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:05 AM   #13

We have camped with our three (2 corgis,1 Border Collie), thye love to go with us and we upgraded to a larger camper for when all three travel. Am looking for ideas to put up a containment area attached to the travel trailer. We have used a series of X-pens around our Burro 13 FG camper but they are heavy to transport. Now that we purchased a Palomino G210 we are looking for lighterweight barriers/fencing to make a dog courtyard as we exit the camper. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you.
rmareg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #14

Bring extra dog food.... either you or the dog will kick it or trip on it, spilling the contents...usually with the water so it gets wet.

If you have a screen door DO NOT LEAVE YOUR DOG INSIDE WITH JUST THE SCREEN DOOR CLOSED... We learned that the hard way. Our 70 pound bulldog/boxer mix decided she wanted to come outside...now! She pushed right thru the screen. lol
braddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddaddy View Post
Bring extra dog food.... either you or the dog will kick it or trip on it, spilling the contents...usually with the water so it gets wet.

If you have a screen door DO NOT LEAVE YOUR DOG INSIDE WITH JUST THE SCREEN DOOR CLOSED... We learned that the hard way. Our 70 pound bulldog/boxer mix decided she wanted to come outside...now! She pushed right thru the screen. lol
It works both ways. We have one that used to try and jump inside and would hit the screen and bounce off like a trampouline.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote