Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #41
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdangel0 View Post
Yeah I know that feeling - one day about 20 years ago I was crossing tracks that didn't have the arms that come down. Bright sunny day. Red lights were flashing but I was wearing green tinted sunglasses .... if you didn't know, green lenses prevent red light from being seen. I was in the middle of the tracks when I saw the train less than 20' feet from my door. I have literally never been so scared in my life, or ever since.

Nor have I ever worn green tinted sunglasses ever again.
Wasn't the enginner laying on his horn at the time the train was less than 20' feet from your door?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #42

20 years ago in the country around where I used to live there was a RR crossing that had no lights at all. I came up on it late one night on my way home and saw the engine's lights bouncing off the trees. I pulled onto a farm access road to turn around about 20 feet from the tracks. When I looked over my shoulder to back out I saw headlights down the road. I started pumping my brakes to warn the driver but no luck. The guy slammed into the side of a freight train at near 60 mph in a Ford Festiva. I was immediately out of my truck, told my friend to call 911 and ran to the car. The train was still going by and I was standing between it and the crumpled remains of the car with my arms shoved into the now 3 inch tall windows trying to find the guy's neck to get a pulse. No luck. He didn't have a head anymore. The car had flipped up and caved in the roof on the guy's face. When the firemen cut the roof off it was a really horrible mess. My friend went through two years of psychiatric therapy but still hasn't gotten over it. Needless to say very soon that crossing had gates and lights installed. I always stop and look at any RR crossing. You never know what's coming.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:10 AM   #43
Site Team

I was reading this article this morning where a couple of our local citizens tried to beat a train yesterday. Luckily for them, it wasn't moving fast.

UPDATE: Car Hit by Train; Drivers Cited - MyArkLaMiss.com - KTVE NBC 10 - KARD FOX 14 - Your homepage for the latest News, Weather and Sports in the ArkLaMiss!

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #44
(Dry Huunday)

There was one just north of here. Luckily no serious injuries.
Jacksonville man walks away after truck collides with train in Havelock - Local - The Daily News, Jacksonville

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:30 PM   #45
B47

Perhaps these very lucky drivers were blondes looking for Deer Crossing signs and got confused.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote