Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #1

Ramp for elderly

Has anyone on here designed and built or seen a light weight ramp that an elderly person with bad knees could use to get in and out of a TT? The steps are just too much for him and we don't want them to stop camping on account of old Arthur.
n4uaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:38 AM   #2

I built a ramp for the husky because she had arthritus so bad,and a dog hooking a leg thru the open back of the steps would be a disaster.I used a bunk ladder from a MH for the frame,and cut a top out of 5mmunderlaymen plywood. Glued carpet to the top and good to go!. The steps were a chore for me as well befor I got the cages in my back and neck,so I used it too. When we are camped we just leave the TH ramp down.The ladder was exactly the right length to fit behind the front seats of the truck for storage,and we used it so she could get in the truck as well.If you are not into building something,they make folding dog ramps that are easily good for 150#.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
Always Learning

What about better steps? The Glowstep Revolution steps by Torklift are more residential height steps and are much easier on the knees to get up and down. Plus, they're way sturdier as they have feet that are on the ground.

There's an accessory that is "backs" to the steps that you velcro in place. It sounds like some pets prefer not being able to see through.

There's a bike handle in the way, but you can see them here:

And again here:
Old 04-19-2016, 04:01 AM   #4

WOW I can see sales will be up this week, I may order some for mine
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:18 AM   #5

DW has troubles going up "normal" height steps without assistance. So when we purchased our 2015 SS23, we needed to find something to help. We looked into the Glowsteps, but after talking with the company, they wouldn't able to reduce the height of the steps while maintaining the integrity of them. I also looked into a ramp, but to have it a slope that was walkable for her without being problematic, the ramp would have to be 8 feet or so long.

It took some creative use of PVC furniture parts and pipes, but I was able to come up with a set of stairs that reduces the height of each step to 4". The lower section of three steps fits inside the upper section to reduce the overall bulk while in transit. The handrail breaks down into several pieces and fits nicely behind the sofa. It only takes a minute or so to set up when we get situated. The only drawback we've encountered, which I was able to overcome with some spare pieces of wood, is when the site isn't very flat and we have to jack up the door side to get level. All in all, we are very happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140920_180742.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	105529  
nipmuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:23 AM   #6

considering a set of those Torklift steps myself. Are they really worth all the extra $$$? and do you have a good (read economical) source for them?
TIA!
woody9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #7

Ideas for someone disabled in a wheelchair or scooter. A friend has MS and loves to camp. Her husband bought a toy hauler and is redoing that.

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2018 3050s Sunseeker
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody9 View Post
considering a set of those Torklift steps myself. Are they really worth all the extra $$$? and do you have a good (read economical) source for them?

TIA!

Yes, they're all that and a bag of chips.