Old 04-03-2014, 05:16 AM   #1
Random thoughts from our 1st weekend out

Been camping many years, bit this would be our first time out with our beautiful 8528bhws 5th wheel. Was a rainy crappy weekend but the wife and I needed this weekend. Our local KOA was open for the season and though they had no water at the sites, we could fill the tanks at the office on the way in. We have been having lots of family stresses over the past few months and really looked forward to the calming nature of a roaring campfire. We were joined by 2 other families, and had 2 others join them for an overnight on Saturday. 8 kids in all under the age of 11. They had a ball riding bikes, playing games, getting wet in the rain. We were able to have a campfire both days, and some good awning time when the rain got too heavy.
So many great features on this new camper and one in particular, porcelain toilets, sounds funny but man they are nice! Some very minor issues with the camper, that the dealer will address for us, but the biggest issue we had was we did not like our camper as much after the weekend as we did before. We found the bunk room too small, which when we looked at it, it seemed huge, and not so crazy about that rear 1/2 bath. Could have used that space as extra bunk room. I hated that I had to put bikes in the camper, now that my bed is devoted to the 5th wheel.. Backing in to the site was tougher than I thought. Having the camper so close to the back window made it tough for me to see tress etc. (I've driven tractor trailers this is nothing new to me, I think I'm just nervous about the new unit). I guess we also need to put mote thought into where we store things to make it easier. All in all was a little rougher than we hoped

Aca651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
I know how you feel, I felt the same way last year with our new FW. But as the year went by I started getting use to it. I do love the room we have now.A lot of old memories in the other trailer now time to start new ones.

2000 F250 Superduty CC LB 7.3 4x4
2013 344QB Wildcat
Nights camped 2014 ( 15)
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Firefighter969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
It does get easier with every trip, hang in there. We find the 1/2 bath a blessing, but I usually camp with 3-4 teenage girls and a 7yr old. Space is always at a premium and after a while you learn what to to take, what not to take, and what to exchange for a more compact version. The bike issue was a problem for us until I built this. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1396525554.710267.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	49055Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1396525582.121625.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	49056Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1396525621.641340.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	49057
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 67
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:55 AM   #4
As large as these new campers are they sure fill up quickly when you add a couple of kids and all your gear. We have the same issue with ours when the kids come along (grown now) or when we're all inside due to bad weather.

As for towing/backing your rig, you'll get used to that. We've had our fiver for almost two years now and I'm still working on my backing skills. You might get a cheap set of 2 way radios so your co-pilot can help you back her in. Seems to work pretty good for us.

Have you considered adding a hitch/bike rack to the front of your truck instead of hauling them inside your trailer?
Kevin & Janine
2006 Dodge 2500 Megacab CTD 2WD
2012 Palomino Sabre 32RCTS
Pullrite Superglide 16K Hitch
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:58 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Just checked out your floorplan. I now agree with you on the 1/2 bath, given the size and potential for kids in bunkhouse. Was not familiar with that setup. Having 5 bunks in ours, makes it more of a necessity. Don't know the stance of your 5er, but you may be able to add the Lippert under frame sliding storage boxes to add more basement storage.
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 67
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #6

If I'm working the numbers correctly, you're saying there were FIVE families (10 adults?) and EIGHT children under the age of eleven?

You don't say whether those other families had their own RVs, but I can imagine that with you having the "NEW" RV, yours was the hang out for all involved.

I'd plan a trip soon for just you, your spouse, and your own children (if they're not adults) before deciding your beautiful new 5er isn't big enough.

JMO, but DH and I wouldn't have even considered having our first trip with our new 5er a "family reunion" type trip.

And then there was the added stress of the weather not co-operating with you, causing the young'uns to be underfoot more than usual.

Downsize the number of people camping for your next trip, check the weather forecast before booking, and I'm bettin' you'll be in love with that 8528 again.

Think about it, if you had a 3K sq. ft. house, even IT would seem small with 18 people sleeping, or visiting around it and in it.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:03 AM   #7
Alrighty! 3rd trip was the charm! I had more time and better weather to really get used to this unit. Organization still not our strong point, but we used this camper to its fullest potential this weekend. First night out, I arrived early and had the opportunity to set up at my pace with nobody asking me for anything. My wife arrived two hours later with my daughter and her friend. Both 9yrs old, our 9 year old son stayed home with friends (which you will understand why shortly)the friends mom came and took both girls out for a few hours so we had about 4 hours alone. That NEVER happens. The tue test came Saturday when the rest of my wife's scout troop arrived. We had 9 9 year old girls and the two leaders stay in the camper Saturday night. The air bed on the sofa is amazing, though I was confused when I first opened it up, I found the battery operated pump, to which I quickly went to the camp store and over paid for 4 batteries, went back to finish the setup, only to find the matters is a plug in style, no idea why they included the other pump, but it worked great! I opted to sleep in my truck for the night, but 9 girls and two adults were al comfortable and it worked great! Like everyone said the more I use it the better it will be..... Now ya know why the boy stayed home! He would have hated this trip!
Aca651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:46 AM   #8
Incheon, S. Korea
This sounds like a lot of fun! We've had as many as seven families at once. Two had their own trailers, and we brought some of our tents for the others.
I love the bike rack. I'd patent it if you can.
Have fun on your next trip!
Me, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith, and OSDs, Fang and Treaty
2003 Hyundai Starex (H1), 2012 Coachmen Clipper 126
I don't know when we'll be able to go camping again...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
Your trips sound like our trips! We always have a calamity of people.

One of your comments earlier was about bikes - we keep ours inside, but put down waterproof sheets. We have the NeatSheet brand, but they don't seem to be made any longer. We actually layer bikes and sheets to protect each from the other and also protect our dinette (where they live).
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #10
Sounds to me that you need to take a trip on your own just YOUR family. Cannot have stress relief when you fill the weekend with numerous other groups. Truth in the words, we had 4 hours alone which NEVER happens. make it happen.

2014 - Sabre 36 QBOK
Nights camped 2014 - 38
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote